My belly is beautiful! Don't roll your eyes at me!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cannot believe that there are people out there who apparently think *I* am doing something inappropriate. :

So I am now 41 weeks 2 days pregnant, and to stem the boredom and anticipation of waiting, I had my friend do a henna tatoo on my belly. It turned out just gorgeous, and for the last three days I have been wearing regular, non-maternity shirts, just so that my belly can peek out and look pretty, which I think it does!

I have received four general reactions to this, all of which start with staring at my belly, LOL.

1) Stare at belly. Pretend you don't see me and look/walk away.

2) Stare at belly. Look at me and my DD and smile.

3) Stare at belly. Tell me how cool my henna is and start conversation about pregnancy.

4) Stare at belly. Look at me with disgust, roll your eyes, shake your head, and make other disapproving gestures.

I can't believe it! It's not like I have nipple hanging out, LOL! All I can do is laugh at these people, and feel sad for them, because they think it's disgusting that my beautiful belly (which is holding a miracle) is showing.

I bet they wouldn't blink an eye at a sixteen year old with a non-pg belly showing.
#2 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 09:35 AM

I'll bet your belly is gorgeous! But what, no picture link??

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#3 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Haha--forgot that!

Here are the pictures! One with the henna still on, one after I scraped it off, and one from my view, because I can't see any of the actual design, LOL!
#4 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think your belly is beautiful. I agree people don't blink an eye at teen/skinny bellies showing (or even butt cracks) but have a cow if a pg belly sticks out. Maybe I'll try a henna tattoo later hmm....

Mom to 6 with #7 on the way Sept 2014
#5 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 10:51 AM

Bery beautiful! I have the urge to show my belly to the world now, and I'm only 18 weeks and barely showing. I'm normaly super 'keep everythign covered' and modest, but I'd prance around in a bikini now! Mine looks more like a beer gut at this point, acutally

But I think pregnant bellies are beautiful and those people are just stupid!
#6 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 02:11 PM

Very beautiful!

Unfortunately in our culture motherhood and sexuality are often considered to be mutually exclusive. (Hmmm...wonder where that came from.) I think that showing your beautiful henna'd (sp?) belly might actually suggest that (gasp) you are proud of your body and your sexuality.
#7 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 02:14 PM

I Your Belly! I was so proud of my belly when I was pregnant, next time I'm getting a henna tattoo for sure, it's beautiful!
#8 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 02:28 PM

Good for you for enjoying your beautiful mama body & not caring what others think! It is a messes up society we are in that encourages girls to sell sex (just watch MTV for a second! or any TV station, for that matter.) But does not hold up the pregnant woman. We should be worshiped! Well, at least honored & respected. And it's hard to just ignore the haters w/ you are feeling so open & sensitive to all the energy around you.
#9 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 02:30 PM

I think it looks amazing!
#10 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 02:39 PM

OMG! I think your belly looks absolutely gorgeous - I have belly envy now

yeah, quite incredible really that we live in societies that seem to have no problem with yards of flesh showing as long as it belongs to non-woman shaped people
#11 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 02:44 PM

Thats kewl!! I love henna but can't really do it myself and wish i had a friend to do it for me.....GOOD job momma
#12 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 02:56 PM

Your belly is beautiful!!! I would grin at you so big If I saw you, I wouldn't be able to help it.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#13 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 04:14 PM

LOVE IT!!! I would totally do it too, if I knew someone who could.
Be proud of that gorgeous belly!

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#14 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 04:28 PM

I think it looks awesome! I totally want a henna tattoo this time! May have to settle for marker knowing my DH

I wore a lot of open-belly shirts with my first pregnancy (my favorite shirt was actually a button up dress that i would only button around my boobs... too bad my boobs are too big for it this time lol) and I got a LOT of smiles and positive comments and one "that's indecent and shouldn't be allowed" comment that wasn't even to my face, a lady told the manager of avideo game store we were in and left in a huff... the manager was a friend of ours and we all enjoyed a good laugh
#15 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 08:08 PM

I like your belly art! I do think pregnant bellies are beautiful and should be flaunted. At the Rennaissance Faire last year as I was headed over to get henna done on my hand I saw a woman with a tree of life design on her pregnant belly - it was beautiful!
#16 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 08:40 PM

Awwww, that is so awesome!

Shoot, now I can't decide whether I want pomegranites or a tree of life on my belly! (I've got the henna and I'm going to be doing the design tonight or tomorrow, in anticipation of my baby shower on Sunday).
#17 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnr
I bet they wouldn't blink an eye at a sixteen year old with a non-pg belly showing.
Some people just have different expectations and standards regarding modesty than you do.

I, presonally, would feel less upset seeing a preggie belly than a teenager's exposed abdomen. (Mostly because I believe these teenagers that flaunt themselves are making themselves objects and demeaning womanhood... jmo, of course.)

I feel and believe the torso (including belly and boobies) should be covered. I actually wear special underwear that provides a guide for the length of my shorts and the coverage I need from my shirts. I am happy for this because it provides a sacred zone for me and DH. Weird? Maybe, but it feels more special than weird to us.

I, for one, do think it's inappropriate to purposefully display one's body. If/when I see an exposed preggie belly, I tend to think that the person may not be able to cover it (can't afford the attire to dress completely) or doesn't realize it's showing, but I do think it inappropriate to show it off on purpose. In the privacy of my own home, I LOVED to sit and stare at my round belly and even asked family if they would like to see it because it was SOO beautiful to me.

Anyway... that's just my opinion. I wanted to share it to give you some ideas on what might be going on in some of the minds of those people with the disapproving body language.

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

#18 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I can't believe it! It's not like I have nipple hanging out, LOL!
Maybe you should just flash one... do a little Janet Jackson number on those #4 folks and show em what's what!
#19 of 32 Old 04-21-2006, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
Quote:
Quote:
I can't believe it! It's not like I have nipple hanging out, LOL!
Maybe you should just flash one... do a little Janet Jackson number on those #4 folks and show em what's what!

I think your belly is so fantastically gorgeous! I want some pretty designs too!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#20 of 32 Old 04-22-2006, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it's super, super beautiful henna or not to be proud of your beautiful blossoming baby belly. (Wow, 4 b's!)

Actually, when I was pregnant with Ayla I would prance around in tops that would bear my belly and people would either smile or do nothing.... except for one day, the only day anyone ever said anything. I had two people comment. One woman said "THAT'S DISGUSTING COVER THAT UP!" but the other said "you look so beautiful". The latter cancelled out the former, IMO.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#21 of 32 Old 04-22-2006, 01:12 AM

I think it is gorgeous!!
We had an artist come to my sis' babyshower and do henna. Everyone loved it.
The weirdos who rolled their eyes at you are weirdos, not you! (i'm glad you know that already)
#22 of 32 Old 04-22-2006, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori Gollihugh
Some people just have different expectations and standards regarding modesty than you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori Gollihugh
Anyway... that's just my opinion. I wanted to share it to give you some ideas on what might be going on in some of the minds of those people with the disapproving body language.
Thank you for your comments, and I agree that this is definitely a possibility. I don't have a problem at all with people having a different idea of modesty--in fact, I'm sure that we are all slightly different in that way. I guess what bothered me was the judging reactions. Like mamascarlett said, being pregnant makes me very aware of all the negative (and positive) vibes coming from people, and it's hard to ignore the negative.
#23 of 32 Old 04-22-2006, 02:12 PM

I love the pic that says "my view" too cute!
#24 of 32 Old 04-22-2006, 07:45 PM

It is too bad that mama bellies aren't something to be shown off. I live in a great place where the bellies are always showing, especially in summer.
Last summer I saw my friend at the farmers market and her big belly was getting some sun. My mom said, "I don't know why people think that looks attractive." I had to remind her that she was pregnant during a time when women hid their bellies a bit. Nobody even knew my grandmother was pregnant because she wore a big coat.

I agree with a PP who says that pregnancy and sexuality don't go together in our society.
Remeber when Demi Moore had her belly on the the cover of Vanity Fair (I think)? I think it helped society a bit and it also got a big reaction.

People will understand one day.

Beautiful belly!!!!
#25 of 32 Old 04-22-2006, 10:50 PM

I think it's just gorgeous. I love seeing baby bellies I did have a lady tell me once to cover my belly when it was poking out under my shirt - she said it was something sacred and not to be shown off...but I feel differently I suppose. I loved to have my belly out, I think baby bellies are so beautiful!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#26 of 32 Old 04-22-2006, 11:57 PM

I also have belly envy, I love the art work and would love to have a big enough pregnant belly to show off (hopefully this summer )

thanks for sharing

tara
#27 of 32 Old 04-23-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy
I think it's just gorgeous. I love seeing baby bellies I did have a lady tell me once to cover my belly when it was poking out under my shirt - she said it was something sacred and not to be shown off...but I feel differently I suppose. I loved to have my belly out, I think baby bellies are so beautiful!
I must be wierd, I think the pregnant belly is sacred too so we shouldn't be ashamed to show it off.I don't think our definitions are the same. To her sacred=repression.
#28 of 32 Old 04-23-2006, 09:34 AM

oops, DP
#29 of 32 Old 04-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Banned

I think your belly looks beautiful too! I totally love the henna art! Infact, I want to do that next time I am pregnant. What a way to show I'm pregnant and proud! The only thing is, I don't know how "pretty" my belly would look... because I have so many stretch marks from dd! LOL, but I still think I will try it.
#30 of 32 Old 04-26-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmark
Last summer I saw my friend at the farmers market and her big belly was getting some sun. My mom said, "I don't know why people think that looks attractive." I had to remind her that she was pregnant during a time when women hid their bellies a bit. Nobody even knew my grandmother was pregnant because she wore a big coat.
I was just going to say something along those lines. When DH's mom was pregnant with her first (early 60's), she was a teacher and the principle did NOT like the teachers to show when they were pregnant. Every day she wore one of DH's dad's button down shirts with a large sweater on top of that. Nowadays that principle would be sued, but that's how it was. I think some older women may not be comfortable seeing exposed pregnant bellies because they had to hide theirs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page