Would you drink wine while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2006, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm not talking drinking every night or even getting drunk 1 night, I mean like a glass 1-2 times a week. My back has been hurting for weeks and with the baby dropping last night its killing me today. Its not low back pain but mid-upper back pain that the Dr's have given me tons of painkillers and muscle relaxers for over the years for, I discovered 1/2 glass of wine to be far more effective at killing the pain since I'm such a light weight. Relax the muscles and the pain subsides. I'm 32 weeks so I don't think a little wine would hurt anything but its always been pounded into my head not to drink while pregnant. WWYD?

Seriously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope, I wouldn't. It's outside of my comfort level.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
Old 04-21-2006, 10:44 PM

I don`t think a little wine here and there is a bad thing in the 3rd tri. I think in your case especially, its like risks vs. benefits and the benefits of that relaxation are better than the risks of other types of medication. I had a little wine at easter and my anniversary. In the 3rd tri I may have a glass here and there, I also have an antibody in my blood and wine can thin my blood a little and make the antibody less strong. I have an Italian doctor who tells patients to drink a little champagne in moderation. Wine yes, but liquor, I wouldn`t drink.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
Old 04-21-2006, 11:08 PM

Hi-
I have a sip of my hubby's beer every so often and a 1/4 to 1/2 glass of wine every week or two. At this stage, I believe it is good for you to relax and if a 1/2 glass of wine does it every so often, I would do it too,
JMO.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:31 PM

I would. I personally don't drink during the 1st trimester (and I don't do hard alcohol at all), but in the 2nd and 3rd I will have a little wine or beer when I feel like it.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Old 04-21-2006, 11:35 PM

I'm the same as BundleFish -- I have a small glass of wine or half a beer once a week. Especially in the 3rd trimester I don't think it's a big deal at all. I just make sure I have it with or right after a meal, and I really savor it slowly in the bath or something. I find it very relaxing. It's all about what you're comfortable with though.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:47 PM

Personally, I think that a glass a couple times a week is fine, esp. if taken with a meal. I have wine very infrequently during pregnancy because it always makes me feel fuzzy. Even a small amount. I have a lite beer once a week, sometimes twice. I drink it really slow and savor it with a meal. I think, with bad back pain, a little fuzzy might not be too bad. Especially if you compare it to what you might take at your dr's suggestion. I would just weigh the pros and cons and make an educated decision.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:51 PM

W/ds2's pregnancy I drank a 1/2 glass of wine 4-6x/week there at the end (last two months or so). I wasn't sleeping well at all, my back hurt from lifting my toddler all the time, ds2 was so low it was uncomfortable to sit/walk/stand for any real period of time. So, I'd have a little wine after dinner when ds1 was having his before bed snack and I'd sleep better.

Weigh the risks vs the benefits and decide for yourself, but yeah, I've done it and would again.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:32 AM

I did, in the 3rd trimester. Not often, and not much, but my OB even cleared it. I was graduating law school when I was about 30 weeks and (even though I knew it was OK) asked if a glass of champagne at my graduation dinner would be a problem. He laughed and said of course it would be OK, at that point, a glass or two of wine a week, or a beer, would be fine.

I know it's outside of some people's comfort zone, and that's cool. As long as they didn't come and accost me while I was enjoying my weekly half-glass of wine in public, it was all good.

Mama to DD : (7/23/03) & DS : (10/27/06) married to DH 7/20/01
and yet 90% more mainstream than the rest of MDC
Old 04-22-2006, 12:40 AM

beer during my 3rd tri was such a huge treat! my boyfriend and i went and had $8 glasses of super fancy beer together a few times. my MW encouraged it.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:41 AM

I could if I wanted to, but don't. (I'm not a big wine fan) I don't see any harm w/ an occasional glass of *good* red wine though. Red wine has its benefits.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:44 AM

I do now and then. I have a boss that plucks every last nerve I have, and I'm fairly sure that the chemicals released while I'm suppressing the urge to strangle him are worse for the baby than a glass of wine. I didn't drink at all with my first (that boss was much less of a jerk) so I guess this will be my little gestational experiment.
I really like red wine, too.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:38 AM

I'm shocked!! (obviously I wouldn't touch any wine while PG especially since there is no proof of how much or little alcohol can harm/not harm a baby)
Old 04-22-2006, 08:34 AM

I think the answer you were looking for was "No, I'm not comfortable with the idea."
Old 04-22-2006, 09:48 AM

I would, and I do. I'll have a small glass of wine in the evening several times a week. I WOULDN'T have two. As has been said above, it's all about your comfort level, and that's mine (if anyone cares )

There are lots of differing recommendations for pregnant women. The No Alcohol During Pregnancy stand is based on the fact that no amount of alcohol has been proven to be safe. But I haven't seen anything that has proven that light drinking is harmful, either, and a number of studies that suggest that a drink per day is not harmful. http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/FAS/FAS.html Of course, the safest option is to abstain completely, so if that's your comfort level, that's what you should do.

Here are some mainstream recommendations I pulled off of Babycenter - again, different recommendations for different sources, but they recommend not more than one drink daily, or 1-2 drinks twice per week. http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnanc...equestid=73050

Everything I have seen (and my midwife actually brought this up) about FAS refers to alcoholism during pregnancy, with daily consumption of more than four (and many sources more than SIX) alcoholic beverages daily.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:34 AM

I didn't drink hardly at all before I got pg, I didn't drink at all my 1st trimester, but I got the urge to finish DH's beer the other night and chugged 1/2 of it

I think if as a family we had wine with meals, I'd continue having 1/2 a glass every night, even in my first trimester. Because we don't really, I don't feel the need for it. I wouldn't be above drinking a couple if I want them while I'm in labor, though I've been craving red wine lately, considered buying it (we only have beer in the house) but I figured that I never drank hardly any before, so I'll go ahead and not take it up while I'm pregnant

Regular meds, though, I will not touch unless I was in super super bad shape. I haven't had so much as a tylenol and honestly would drink a glass of wine or can of beer before I'd take a Tylenol or anything else like that. I'm more comfortable with alcohol than I am with pharmicuticals.

Cara
Old 04-22-2006, 10:58 AM

I rarely ever drink... but I wouldn't even second guess having a drink or two while I am pregnant. In my first pregnancy (before I knew I was pregnant) my best friend had a birthday and she wanted to have a huge deal of it. We had a great time and drank (not to drunk...just to Buzzzzzz) nearly all day. I felt terrible when I found out I was pregnant. Well as I took that child (now 5) to take a reading readiness test and IQ... I see now that he mise well be the poster child on why it is okay to have bit to drink, lol. He had never set foot in school and scored as an advanced 1st grade reading level (never been to school, and I don't homeschool) and his IQ score was 130.
My aunt (head L&D nurse) told me that the reason they say "not a drop while pregnant, because we don't know the outcomes"...is because if they give women an inch they will take a mile. I don't know if you noticed that in the obsetrical profession... the more they terrify you the more you adore, respect and listen. It's sad.. but if you buy into it.. then it works for you. Obviously it works for many of you.
Like I said, I barely drink anything pregnant or not... but if I was at a dinner party and everyone was raving about Such-and-such bottle... I would try some. But if you are going to stress over "the glass I had at Mrs Smiths house" I say don't bother, your baby doesn't need the stress hormones.
Tricia

momma to 7
:
Old 04-22-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triciabn
My aunt (head L&D nurse) told me that the reason they say "not a drop while pregnant, because we don't know the outcomes"...is because if they give women an inch they will take a mile. I don't know if you noticed that in the obsetrical profession... the more they terrify you the more you adore, respect and listen. It's sad.. but if you buy into it.. then it works for you. Obviously it works for many of you.
That is sad. I've seen LOTS of women who say, oh, my doctor lets me have 5 diet sodas a day, or lets me eat whatever I want, lets me take Tylenol as often as I want etc. It drives me nuts. I'm doing my own prenatals, so noone is letting me do anything, and I'm not getting away with anything. I'm 100% responsible for my actions and do not have an OB or MW to blame it on if my child is harmed. Not all women are like this, I know, but it is more common than I'd like. I would tend to think that if the risks and benefits of everything were presented to the mother in a respectful way, and she had the power to decide, then pregnancy would be much more balanced and you wouldn't have to worry about them taking a mile.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 AM

I started a thread similar to this one once upon a time, so just warning you: watch out for the

that said...I had the very occassional glass of wine once I was past my first trimester. In Europe it is very normal to see a pregnant woman drinking a glass of wine with dinner. I agree that this whole "not a drop" policy is pretty much based on the whole "give em an inch they'll take a mile" rationale- Dr.s don't think women have the ability to use common sense or moderation and their main objective is to cover their a$%es.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 04-22-2006, 11:53 AM

Heee, Jen - I remember your glass of champagne on NYE thread!! Oh boy, did that get ugly!!

It's within my personal comfort level to have a small glass (with food) occasionally during pg after the first trimester.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:09 PM

I hardly EVER drink alcohol at all when I'm not pregnant. But I'd never drink when I was. Here's my reason why... unlike food, which requires digestion before it can be absorbed, alcohol can diffuse right through the stomach walls and reach the brain within a minute. Now if the stomach is filled with food, then there is less of a chance of the alcohol touching the stomach walls and therefore perhaps not being absorbed immediately. I however wouldn't want to take that chance. For me, if something can be absorbed into the blood stream that easily, then it gets to my baby that much quicker. It's just NOT for me.

partners.gif = angel2.gifloveeyes.gif & shy.gif
Old 04-22-2006, 12:17 PM

I just had to say you've gotta check out the "I"m pregnant-Aug. due date club"-under the "confessions of a pregnant lady" You'll find much more "evil" doings there!!
It's too bad some feel the need to express thier opinions so harshly, : I'm in agreement with moderation, I don't drink much to begin with but now I crave a shot of Bailey's and milk from time to time. If I wasn't dealing with all day m/s I'd definatley be on that but I'm just afraid it'll all come back up anyways! Maybe later on...
Old 04-22-2006, 12:59 PM

I don't think an occcasional glass of wine is going to hurt you at this stage of the game. It's a common sense thing.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:02 PM

FWIW, I don't have my glass of wine unless I've eaten first (since Ben's mom at least gave a reason, and it bears addressing). It makes sense to mix it up with some food.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:17 PM

No. I wouldn't EVER take the chance of affecting my babies growth like that. I will admit that I had one sip of champagne on new years eve while pregnant... one sip and I felt the guilt!
Old 04-22-2006, 01:44 PM

No, I would not. I tend to err WAY on the side of caution with things like this, though, and don't drink alcohol even when I'm not pg.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

Old 04-22-2006, 01:53 PM

Would and have. Many midwives (including my own) recommend "a glass of wine and a warm bath" to halt prodromal labor or aid in overcoming restless sleep for mamas very close to the end.

I think it's all about using common sense and listening to your body. I homebrew, and actually had a 5gal batch of doppelbock spoil when I was in the 1st tri with my DD because I couldn't stand the sight or smell of it long enough to bottle it (and that was such a tragedy given how much work I had spent on it! ) but in the 3rd tri with her I *craved* beer. A 4 oz tasting glass would usually satisfy the craving. I did some research on beer cravings and found that it contains B vitamins from the brewers yeast which are actually very healthful (and found in abundance in homebrewed, bottle-conditioned beer)... perhaps that's what I was craving?

Anyway, a little OT, but use your common sense. I think that's what AP and MDC are all about... examining honestly the advice given to us by this culture and then doing what makes the most sense to us given the evidence. Those who are posting with such knee-jerk negative comments are IMO just being reactionary.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:32 PM

I'm another drinker during pregnancy. Notice I don't say "binge". For me I drink 1-2 glasses a week about a 1/2 glass at a time. I only drink red wine but for some reason now I really want a guiness or one of the other dark chocolatey sorts of beer right now. Since DH is a beer snob and only drinks microbrews/homebrews/expensive European import beers there is always a sip or two of that around for me!

Deb
Old 04-22-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myniyer
Would and have. Many midwives (including my own) recommend "a glass of wine and a warm bath" to halt prodromal labor
I forgot about that, I'd totally do that, IMO safer than going to the hospital for whatever drugs and interventions they use to stop labor.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:48 PM

Yes, I would, and I have. Small amounts (much less than a 3-4 oz glass), not every week for me, but sometimes it works well to stop BH or soothe raw nerves. My midwives are OK with it. My friend's super conservative OB suggested it for her in the third trimester to stop BH.

User Tag List