Anyone planning a brazilian wax before their birth? TMI! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am already finding it difficult to trim and shave "down there". This happened last pregnancy as well, because of course the tummy gets in the way and I basically just left it all until after the birth when my tummy was mostly out of the way! During the birth, I found the hair down there to be in the way and of course all the birth gunk gets in it and then during the post-partum bleeding when you can't imagine a Diva cup/Keeper/tampon/sponge inserted into you (and likely shouldn't put one in anyway), you get all the crusty blood stuck in the hair and it DRIVES ME INSANE.

I'm not comfortable with getting DH to trim/shave for me as he can't shave his own face without getting a cut . I figured this time maybe I'd get a brazilian wax and get it all out of the way before the birth and not have to worry about hair! I've also heard that "sugaring" can be less painful, anyone know if this is true? Also, is there any reason NOT to do this while pregnant?

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#2 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 08:32 PM

I've read that the skin is really super sensitive during pg so it's likely to hurt a *lot* more, but other than that I can't think of a good reason not to. I have to admit, the lack of hair postpartum sounds *really* appealing but I don't know if I can put myself through that kind of pain!

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#3 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie
I've read that the skin is really super sensitive during pg so it's likely to hurt a *lot* more, but other than that I can't think of a good reason not to. I have to admit, the lack of hair postpartum sounds *really* appealing but I don't know if I can put myself through that kind of pain!
I hear ya! I was wondering if it would hurt more while pregnant and it sounds like it might be true! I had a simple bikini wax done prior to my wedding and I thought that was terrible pain! I couldn't stand it if the pain was worse and on my more sensitive areas!

I'm crossing my fingers that someone has experience with "sugaring" being less painful (and perhaps can tell me what the the heck sugaring is).

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#4 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 08:56 PM

I've never had sugaring done, so no help there. My aunt claims it hurts so much less than regular waxing though and will never wax again.

I've heard also not to wax while pregnant - something about the blood circulation is similar to that around your menstrual cycle when they also do not reccomend getting waxed.

I hear ya on the post partum mess though, so I've just been shaving (I also wouldn't let DH do it!) - it's tricky , but I manage.
#5 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 09:07 PM

What about an electric razor? i don't *think* you can cut yourself with one of those--we just got one for my grandpa because he's on blood thinners and shouldn't cut himself.

Hmmm...I may have to check that out for me! I'd trust DH to do it if I knew he couldn't cut me.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#6 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 09:18 PM

other than the pain of waxing dont see a problem w/it. dh did mine for me with a bikini trimmer wasnt smooth but so much better than hair getting all gunky.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 09:22 PM

I would just buy an electric razor, I can't imagine the pain now that my skin is extra sensitive everywhere.
#8 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 09:30 PM

I think a full body wax would be great! It may hurt a little but you would feel great about yourself later

a:5:{s:9:"signature";s:273:"
a:5:{s:9:"signature";s:164:"Wife to H Antonio:, Mother to DD Kathleen 12,: DD Yoseleen 9,
DD Jasmeen 5, and DS Anthony 2,";s:7:"insider";N;s:6:"awards";N;s:10:"selections";s:0:"";s:8:"featured";s:0:"";}
";s:7:"insider";N;s:6:"awards";N;s:10:"selections";s:0:"";...
#9 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 09:50 PM

I had to have injections with this pregnancy and my DR prescribled me emla cream and I never used it... just kinda did the shot without it... well anyway I had the emla cream here so I used it before my wax and I didn't feel a thing..... then i heard some nasty stuff about emla and I got rid of it!

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#10 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 10:17 PM

What is "sugaring?"

I can't see down there anymore to shave either, and it's really annoying! Why o why is it necessary biologically to have hair in my buttcrack... I mean I have pants on most of the time so I don't need it to keep me warm! Damn slow evolution.
#11 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 11:46 PM

I have an electric Lady Remington. And I LOVE it. I get a nice CLOSE shave and the blade part never even hits my skin. Got it at a Walmart

One of the luckiest woman in the world! luxlove.gif

#12 of 100 Old 05-03-2006, 11:58 PM

I just stood in front of the mirror to trim it

Sugaring

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#13 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 12:49 AM

I've gone brazillian twice, never while pregnant, but have also been considering doing it towards the end. It is akward enough though to have some stranger playing with my coochie when my belly isn't huge that I don't know if I will have the guts to do it at 36wks or more.

Jennifer, mom to Joel , Duncan, Celia, and Aidan. Wife to Nathan.
#14 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 09:42 AM

I never tried Waxing before but I'm Egyptian and Sugaring is a tradition here. As soon as a girl hits puberty we get full body sugering every month... I can't say it doesn't hurt but you get used to it after a couple of times. Anyways, to answer your question, yes I am getting a brazilian "sugaring" before giving birth..

Mom to Adam (December-9-2006)
#15 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 AM

I don't understand how sugaring would hurt less than waxing. Both are pulling hair out by the roots in big chunks . . .

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

#16 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmk
I don't understand how sugaring would hurt less than waxing. Both are pulling hair out by the roots in big chunks . . .
: I regularly wax many areas of my body and I can't say it is the wax coming off that hurts...it's the hairs being pulled out. (Yet somehow, it's also strangely satisfying... )
#17 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 11:39 AM

I usually get brazilian wax, but I don't do it during pregnancy or before birth. I feel like the hair serves to prevent infections from passing into the vagina. I don't have any research to back this up, but I feel like it would help prevent things like strep b or even just help to keep bacteria out after your water breaks. That is just my thinking, but I am all about the brazilian wax - it is really not that painful if you have a good experienced technician. It is a small area .

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#18 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 02:48 PM

i got a bikini wax (not a full Brazilian) at about 34 weeks and it did hurt more than usual. but it was making me nuts since i can't see down there and i want to go swimming.

i can't shave there because i get all bumpy and itchy.

so, yes, it hurt, but go to a place you trust and hopefully it will be over quick!!
#19 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 03:00 PM

Sweetiemommy-

For what it's worth... I have come to understand that it all flows out and away from the vagina and infections are hard to come by unless you are inserting something inside. When my water had been broken for 8 days my midwives never once suggested trimming down there. I think they would have said the opposite: if you get a cut you might introduce bacteria and that could become infected...

I did manage to keep trimmed up a bit for a while, but by the time I couldn't see down there anymore I let it all go. I liked the idea of an electric razor. But an overall Brazilian a month before birth might keep it manageable for the next several weeks.
#20 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmk
I'm guessing that the sugar doesn't stick to your skin like waxing does, perhaps the sugar just sticks to the hair.
#21 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 03:12 PM

I had DH shave me with his electric beard trimmer. He had plenty of fun doing it and it was pain-free. The RN at the hospital was surprised to find me shaven, said she'd never seen anyone come in prepared like that and did I mind if she asked how I did it? DH was there and I said, "He did it." She said, "Wow, great idea!"
#22 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 04:42 PM

Before dd I had full brazilians done monthly (including the butt strip ). It was great. However, I went almost my entire pregnancy not doing it until 38 weeks. OMG, it was awful! I bled so much, which had never happened before! I kept asking the tech to stop and let me breathe. I don't recommend it unless this is something you are doing throughout your whole pregnancy.
#23 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetiemommy
I usually get brazilian wax, but I don't do it during pregnancy or before birth. I feel like the hair serves to prevent infections from passing into the vagina. I don't have any research to back this up, but I feel like it would help prevent things like strep b or even just help to keep bacteria out after your water breaks. That is just my thinking, but I am all about the brazilian wax - it is really not that painful if you have a good experienced technician. It is a small area .
kind of like nose hairs?
#24 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 04:52 PM

I went ahead and had one at 38 weeks pg and was nervous because I've had them in the past and they hurt. I was very surprised to find that this one hurt MUCH less, in fact I was hardly uncomfortable! I did take 2 tylenol before and practices my hypno birthing techniques during the waxing though, so maybe that helped!
#25 of 100 Old 05-04-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaidmomma
I have an electric Lady Remington. And I LOVE it. I get a nice CLOSE shave and the blade part never even hits my skin. Got it at a Walmart
Yep! I have that one too. Works great. Waxing would rip my skin to pieces.
#26 of 100 Old 05-05-2006, 10:52 AM

I had a full brazilian done last week (including the butt strip too...) and I was 30 weeks. I do full brazilians regularly though. It didn't hurt more than usual. But I won't recommend it unless you are used to do it for years like I am.

Be careful with shaving because the hair grows more quickly afterwards.....

It's true that hair can prevent infection. However, I hate having hair "down there" and if I don't wax, I get ingown hair and that's disgusting.....

Good luck in finding a solution that suits you!
#27 of 100 Old 05-05-2006, 11:53 AM

Snopes's take on shaving.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#28 of 100 Old 05-10-2006, 12:10 AM

I got waxed 1 month before birth, I reallllly hurt but so worth it IMO.
Midwife said it is safe.
#29 of 100 Old 05-10-2006, 02:16 AM

Oh...ouch...

I know what you mean about the hair getting in the way. I still shave down there, but can't get all up in there like I usually do. It's usually all gone except for a little circle above the goods. Now it's pretty much just the part that would stick out of a bikini that's gone.

I thought about getting a wax, but 1) blood?, and 2) ouch!
#30 of 100 Old 10-17-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmk View Post
It doesn't hurt less and i never said it doesn't hurt... I just said I've been doing it for years and you kindda get used to the pain after awhile!!!
So anyways I wouldn't reccommend if you haven't tried before..

Mom to Adam (December-9-2006)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page