Whats best to take? Flaxseed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil or Fish Oils? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-10-2006, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that the EFA found in fish/flax/epo are great for the developing fetus. I just wonder if anyone knows what kind is best? I havent had much time to do research on this subject so I was hoping that someone out there has.
Thanks in advance.
#2 of 4 Old 05-11-2006, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

#3 of 4 Old 05-11-2006, 11:24 AM

First, check on the EPO. I've heard that it can cause uterine contractions so you may want to check into that first. I have no idea if that is true or not. Secondly, I'm a big believer that nutrients from food are best in their natural form. I don't always follow that, but I do beleive that. I'm vegetarian so any fish thing is out for me. If you do start taking fish oil caplets just look into first. They have a reputation for going rancid quickly. Also, many people report fishy burping after taking them. I would imagine this would be less of a problem if they were not spoiled, but I don't know. Personally, I make do on ground flax seed. I sprinkle about 1 tablespoon on my cereal every morning, sometimes I add some to my yogurt. My midwife says this is sufficient so I guess I believe her. Also, flax seed helps with constipation so that's an added bonus. It can go bad quickly though, so you have to keep it in the fridge. HTH.
#4 of 4 Old 05-11-2006, 04:13 PM

From what I was told by the nutrition expert at the health food store where I used to work, fish oil is the best if you're not a vegetarian. I take Nordic Naturals because they use 3rd party testing for mercury and such. They are lemon flavored and I have never burped up anything remotely fishy, just lemon on occasion. A bottle has 60 capsules and you take 2 a day so they're only around for a month so I've never had any issues with it going rancid. Even at that I stopped taking it for awhile and then picked it back up months later while I wasn't pg and it wasn't rancid.

As far as EPO, I do think there is some prostaglandin component to it because they recommend taking it in late pg to ripen the cervix, but I don't know about it causing contractions. I'd have to look into that further. I only took it at the end of my pregnancy last time because I ran out of fish oil and had some around, but it was late enough that I wasn't concerned about going into labor.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page