accuracy of ultrasound gender predictions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious if anyone knows the accuracy rate of gender predictions done during an ultrasound. With baby #1, we didn't ask the gender although I had really strong (and correct) sense we were having a boy. This time with #2, we wanted to ask since this will be our last child and we wanted to get adjusted to having a household of boys or a little daughter in addition to our son.

At week 20 and week 25, two different ultrasound technicians said the fetus looked like a boy. The first tech. showed me a line and said the line looked like the penis. But, she cautioned that the line could always be an umbilical cord so it might not be a boy. The second tech. showed me what looked, to her, like developing testicles and a penis. Each one, especially the last technician cautioned me that no result is 100%. That's fine - I'd love a surprise - either way!

But, we've had so many people ask us the results of the ultrasound and when we answer that 2 u/s have shown us to likely have a boy, we are immediately told, by the person who just asked the results, "oh, I know someone who were told they were having a boy and they had a girl".

Girl or boy, I'll be happy. Although lately I've been wishfully thinking about having a daughter so I guess, truthfully, I sometimes hope the u/s isn't 100% accurate. I'm sure DH and I will be blessed and thrilled no matter what the outcome but I'm just curious what sort of accuracy these gender predictions are made with. So many people ask us our results and then when we tell them and they criticize our answer, DH and I are thinking, "so why ask us if you don't think the U/S is accurate?". Anyway, back the original question - any ideas about accuracy? Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 01:06 AM

like 85% or 90% they are accurate..but sometimes they do make a mistake
#3 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 09:37 AM

I think for boys they are really accurate, over 90%, but for girls they are less so, more like 90%.

I've heard stories of people being told they were having a girl and then actually having a boy, but never the other way around.

After two u/s that both say "boy," I think it's definitely safe to assume you're having a boy!

Congratulations!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#4 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 11:11 AM

My DS was accurately "diagnosed". And this time even I can see that something is missing between the legs... BUT an US is only a two dimensional picture! Wheras photographic pictures are two dimensional (flat) but you can see a foreground and a background. With US you literally see a "cut" of the baby, like, when you see one arm and the other arm is/must be close by you still see only one arm...

I still think it's a boy for me and am very cautious. Got my sis to send all her girl baby clothes to me, and I will be washing the my little boy clothes just in case...
#5 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 11:26 AM

Most of the people I know of who had the u/s wrong had boys, but the u/s said they were girls. Just because they don't find a penis doesn't mean it's not there, and the absence of a penis is NOT how you tell it's a girl. They should be looking for labia.

Most of my friends have had accurate diagnosis of gender. Part of it depends on how good the u/s tech is, and alot of it depends on how well your baby "shows off".

I wonder if the 3D/4D u/s's are any better at identifying gender? I know my OB put the machine in 3D mode for a brief second at my first u/s (7w1d), and honestly I could see the baby better in 2D mode. But that's the blob stage, where all you really see is a beating heart. I wouldn't be surprised if my OB puts the machine in 3D or 4D mode for a brief second at my 20 week u/s. We'll see.
#6 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I thought I had read an ultrasound prediction, done properly, had a very high rate of accuracy (like in the high 90 percentile). But, then, with so many people asking, first, do you know the gender? And then when we reply, they say, "Oh an u/s is not always accurate", I started to doubt.

Like you had said, it's easier to make a mistake when you don't see a penis. Although I said if you see what you think is a penis - what else could it be? And, the technician said it could always be the umbilical cord hanging down since they are in the same place.

I sense I'm having another boy but if I don't, I will be very happy with the surprise. And of course it's always a surprise to meet your new baby!
#7 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 12:36 PM

The u/s tech where we got ours done actually said that a misreading is more likely to say boy when it's actually a girl than vice versa--precisely because the umbilical cord can easily be mistaken for a penis. We had two people (a tech and a doctor) look at ours, and both said girl; as a pp said, they should NOT say girl based on "absence", but rather based on seeing three little white lines (labia). To be honest, even with that, I'm not 100% convinced. Guess we'll see soon!
#8 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

NYCVeg - that's interesting information! Yes, "we'll see"! Good luck everyone with your deliveries.
#9 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 02:40 PM

I agree, I've heard that they can be very accurate (90% and higher) *IF* you have a very knowledgeable tech and if you have a showoff baby.

All three of my u/s have matched and I'm sure that #4 will match too. My children aren't shy at all.

Just about everyone that I've heard that had a "misreading" didn't get a good clear view or never got an actual confirmation of just the "absence of". Which obviously isn't accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday
But, then, with so many people asking, first, do you know the gender? And then when we reply, they say, "Oh an u/s is not always accurate",
At which point you want to them on the head and ask "why did you even want to know???" The only thing that is 100% accurate is an amnio.
#10 of 10 Old 05-11-2006, 03:19 PM

I have a friend who had a u/s and they had told her that it was probably 80% girl. So she got used to the idea and even thought of girls names only.When her SON was born, she was shocked and almost fell of the table. lol

For me, the tech saw but i didn't see it. When it was my turn to see, the baby had her/his legs crossed and even had his/her arm down. Totally a prude. So, i'm not beleiving what she told me the sexe was and will wait until the D-day.

We had the same tech, so, we'll see.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page