November Mammas - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 177 Old 04-05-2003, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I personally have not had spotting during a pregnancy, but my best friend spotted ALOT with both of her pregnancies (in the first trimester) and had 2 healthy babies.

Her Dr. told her it was not uncommon, but to be extra cautious, he did have her limit her lifting and just try to take it easy.

I think it can be bad if you are passing clots or having bad cramping with the bleeding, but just light spotting is ok....
#152 of 177 Old 04-05-2003, 02:15 PM

Christymama,
I have no personal experience, but to me it doesn't sound like a lot of blood at all.
If its over now, I wouldn't worry about it.
Chelly
#153 of 177 Old 04-05-2003, 05:59 PM

I'm an extreme worry wart so I would call the doctor or midwife and try to be seen. my sil had alot of bleeding with her last baby, turns out her placenta was low in the uterus. It started out being down over the cervix, but while the uterus stretched I guess it moved up more. TRY to relax, I'll say a little prayer for you and we'll all be hoping everything is ok. Keep us posted.
#154 of 177 Old 04-05-2003, 07:04 PM

Christymama - Sounds exactly like the spotting I had during my first pregnancy! As long as it isn't heavy, clotted, or bright bright red, it's probably nothing to worry about at all. You can always call your doc to make sure, but I bet all is fine.
And to think, I got worried when I *didn't* have spotting with this pregnancy! I think we just search for things to worry about!
#155 of 177 Old 04-05-2003, 08:12 PM

Thank you guys so much!~ I feel a little better, I am glad someone else has went through ti before. I guess no pregnancy are the same huh. There isnt bright blood In fact it is more brown and almost gone now. It is crazy i bet it is becuse my period would of started around this time. I have been in bed all day with feet up just in case. Thanks guys os much It so nice to have you all here to help each other!!!!BIG HUGGGGGSSSSSS
#156 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 11:09 AM

HEY,
we almost "fell off" the first page.......

How is everyone doing?
I've been fasinated ALL weekend with my tummy thats sticking out ALREADY (only 6 weeks) I even took a picture cause I wanted to see if it looked different on film :LOL

Other than that, I have an appointment with my OB today - to get the first lab tests and stuff out the way so I dont' have to pay any extra for my midwife. This will drop the cost by $100 (which my insurance will pay to my OB, and probably MORE)

I'll stop by later and let you all know how it went.
Have a great Monday
Chelly
#157 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 11:11 AM

I'm showing already, too. Hate it cuz I wanted to keep this a secret for a while longer.
Go see my OB tomorrow...hopefully we'll get to see the heartbeat on U/S.
Have a great day, everyone!
#158 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 12:16 PM

I'm not showing yet, and I'm a little bummed. At 9 weeks I expected a little extra tummy, but I guess I'm glad my clothes still fit. I keep thinking, "Am I really pregnant? Maybe I'm just really lazy and pukey all of a sudden, for no reason." sigh.

Quote:
Quote: Sorry to butt into this thread (I'm due in December ), but I noticed, Panda, that you were in the midwest and going to Homefirst! I'm in Mundelein and plan on using Homefirst for this pregancy and birth, too! How did your consultation go? Which office did you go to? It would be nice to have someone local to chat with! Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post.
Bec, our consultation went great! We're both very excited about going to Homefirst. I'd been there for a consultation with Mayer Eisenstein last year, before we were pregnant. This time DH and I both went and met Dr. Penny Sheldon at the Chicago location. She was great - very professional, answered all of our questions and took lots of time with us. We had some concerns about whether it was wise to use them for our first birth, what would happen if we had to transfer, and to what extent choosing Homefirst would limit our options for care. She seemed very frank and I had the feeling she wasn't just telling us what she thought we wanted to hear.

We felt so good after the consultation that I asked her if we could just make it our first prenatal visit, so I had the exam and that all went fine, I felt very comfortable.

I still have to talk to their business manager and find out what our insurance is going to cover and how much everything is going to cost. Anything to do with health insurance intimidates me a little - it can get so complicated and expensive. But if that all checks out, we'll definately keep going there.

We ran into some old friends last night who we'd heard had recently had a homebirth. They went with Homefirst too, and had only great things to say, they were bubbling with enthusiasm. We didn't have much time to talk, but we're going to get together with them soon to talk more about it. Penny Sheldon is leaving the Chicago office in June, so we'll need to meet the other doctors, I hope we'll find someone else we like.

Sorry this is getting so long! I should maybe pm you, this might be terribly boring for everyone else. Ah well.

They rent birthing tubs there too! Penny Sheldon is totally into waterbirth. So I'm excited about that too, since I've read such good stories about that option. I have to find out how much that is.

Someone had suggested started a Nov./Dec. moms-to-be thread soon, so by all means keep on butting in!
#159 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Panda,
Is Homefirst a group of actual doctors that do homebirths? What a crazy idea! Not really, but other doctors probably think so!! I wonder how they have insurance companies supporting thier practice.

I am 9 1/2 weeks and feel like I just keep on growing. I took out all my old maternity clothes this weekend and put the other stuff (non-maternity) off to the sides. I looked at pictures from preg #1 last night and I had a belly by the end of the 3rd month the first time around- and my belly button had already popped by then. I guess its just time to start enjoying being big- rather than wondering why it is happening.
#160 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 12:48 PM

I am 7 weeks now and my belly is definitly poking out... I remember my second appearing before the first did, but geez!

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#161 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 01:01 PM

Hello! I'm 6 1/2 weeks and I definitely feel better with my maternity pants on now too. For work I'm still wearing some long skirts and jumpers. I need to go buy some mat clothes!

I've been having a few food aversions which I'm definitely OK with. It scares me that I've been feeling so good except for extremely tired. I want reassurance!! x-ray vision would be great!

My first u/s is in 8 days....I'm counting!!

How's everyone else?
#162 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 01:51 PM

Hey Ladies,```` been feeling better thanks for all your concern!
I havent spotted today Which is good! I had only one day of pink spotting and then it was just brownish, I know gross right.
My sister the funny gal she is said that maybe i am just gross and have left overs in there. HAHA right!

I am almost 9 weeks now I am really poking out! I am thinking there is two in there.

My girls are excited. They want a brother lol well I feel sorry for the baby if it is a boy cause my girls are mean lol

Hubby wants a boy for some extra male hormones in the house we have a male dog but he has been fixed so he isnt really a male now lol.

Well ladies hope your all well and in great health !!!! Take care
#163 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 02:22 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally posted by panda

Someone had suggested started a Nov./Dec. moms-to-be thread soon, so by all means keep on butting in!
Thanks! I will! I had my consultation with them in December, but that pregnancy didn't work out. Anyway, I'm waiting until I'm 6 weeks to make the first appointment (just one week to go!).

I really had such a good feeling about them. They just seemed so relaxed and willing to work with you on what you want and need. I have several friends who went with them for their last pregnancies and have never heard a bad thing about them. They take a lot more insurance now than they used to, but are very patient with payment for whatever insurance doesn't cover. Their attitude seems to be that if you are at least paying something, they are willing to be patient.

Julieshayna - Yup, you've got the idea! Homefirst is a group of 10 doctors and 4 midwives that do homebirths. They are also the only ones in the area that will do HBAC's! Pretty nifty group! They've been practicing for 30 years and have delivered over 15,000 babies!

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#164 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 07:11 PM

Hi all!

I have my very first ever prenatal exam tomorrow - I am 8wks with #1. Can anyone give me a detailed version of what to expect? (I am going to see a certified nurse midwife.)

And this will sound weird, but: Will they look down my throat? I am really having panicky feelings thinking the midwife is going to come at me with that tongue depressor and I am going to puke on her! You can laugh at me, I know it's silly, but I can't help it! Dh keeps telling me, "I am pretty sure there is nothing down your throat that it is crucial she sees.." :LOL I am anxious and excited about this appt, but I am weirdly fixated on the tongue depressor scenario.

I know, I know.

flowersforyou.gif

#165 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 09:34 PM

attila -- I see a "doctor" and not a midwife, but my doc doesn't do the looking in the throat end!!
#166 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 09:51 PM

:LOL

Attila
I'm sorry to laugh, you'd think a girl would be more concerned about being LOOKED at from the *other* end...... :LOL

Oh I really needed a chuckle, I'm sorry you're feeling sick though!!!
#167 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 10:33 PM

Hi everyone. Christymomma, I had some spotting too in the first and second months. My doctor said it wasn't anything to worry about as long as it didn't jush and wasn't bright red. But I totally relate to your panic. I had to leave work the first day I spotted, because I was so upset & crying. I went for my second prenatal appt today. I have lost 12 punds so far. THis is actually a good thing, because I am over weight to begin with. THe one thing I didn't like is that when the nurse asked me if I wanted an epidural, I said no and my doctor said, yes you will, and I said no, and he said you may think so now, but you will, and the nurse turned and looked at me as if to ask me again and I said NO! Unfrotunately insurance does not pay for a midwife and with DH unemployed, I can't afford to go that route. SO I can tell I will have to make up my mind and be firm about it regarding my body and my birth. I do have a great friend who agreed to be my advocate in the delivery rooma dn I know she will not let them intervene unnecessarily. I guess she is kind of my homemade version of a doula. Sorry to ramble so long. I am glad to see we are all doing so well. November seems like a long way off. Are there any other first time moms who don't really feel like it's real yet? I am not showing, I don't feel any movement and other than a little nausea now and then and some exhaustion, I don't feel that much different. Just curious.

Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#168 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 11:07 PM
bec

Gossamer - I'm a little apalled that the dr. is already asking you if you want an epidural! How obnoxious! I understand about being stuck with what insurance will cover, but is there anyway for you to change OB's and still be covered? You might want to ask your insurer about that. Or ask your human resource contact at work. That's what they're there for. A strongly worded birth plan that you've gone over with the doc and nurses before hand will hopefully help, and having an advocate with you should help too!

Good luck!

Bec

#169 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 11:31 PM

Thank you Bec. Other than that comment, I am very happy and comfortable with him. He also tries very hard to make sure my husband is involved which is very important to me. My husband is totally blind and I have had some caregivers that don't even treat him like an intelligent person at times. Like becuase he is blind, he can't hear them talking to me about him. DUH! So because of his comfortable and inclusive attitude regarding my DH, I am leaning towards staying with him. I don't want to be inlabor shouting at the doctor, "I don't know, ask him, he's blind not deaf!" Which I have had to do before. Know what I mean?

Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#170 of 177 Old 04-07-2003, 11:54 PM
bec

Gossamer - I definitely know what you're talking about. While my DH has his sight, it was very important to me that he be included with all the prenatal exams, etc. It was important that he be able to communicate with the doc as well, because I saw him as being my spokesman during labor.

My suggestion would be to write a strong birth plan and go over it a good while before you go into labor. Make your preferences clear. Regardless of insurance, he still works for you. You are his customer. I know from experience that in the midst of labor is not the time to be arguing with a well meaning doctor.

I remember having this discussioin with one of my OB's (there were 2 in the practice). He asked if I was interested in an epidural. I said I was pretty violently opposed. He said that in the case of induction, pitocin contractions could get pretty hairy (I was, they were, I didn't take the epidural). I told him we would cross that bridge when we got there. I also told him that I didn't want to be offered any pain medication during labor. He got a pained look on his face and admitted he was a complete wimp, and couldn't stand to see his patients in pain (to the point where L&D nurses would kick him out of the room ). I repeated in no uncertain terms that I didn't want pain medications. I told him that I knew what was available and would make that decision on my own. He accepted that. He also encouraged me to write a birth plan and go over it with him.

They were both very nice, gentle, and had great track records. Unfortunately, I ended up with a flurry of interventions (but no epidural ) due to hospital policies, that, I believe, stalled my labor to the point of getting a c-section. Needless to say, I'm taking matters into my own hands this time around and will have an HBAC!

Bec

#171 of 177 Old 04-08-2003, 12:05 AM

I'm kinda annoyed right now. I went to my appointment today, and I heard the doc was not back yet (I wasn't sure at the time what they were talking about) anyway to cut a long story short I had all the questions answered, dressed in a stupid gown and waited for 20 minutes before they came back and said the doctor still wasn't there and they were not sure when he would be back at all.
So they sent me to get blood drawn, to the WRONG lab, the lab they sent me does not accept HMO - so off to the next one....... I was gone for 2 1/2 hours from work - a lot of time when you consider I only HAD 9 sick hours left, and an entire pregnancy to get through.......

THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT>........ I feel better
Chelly
#172 of 177 Old 04-08-2003, 08:50 AM

Gossamer - I am not a first time mom, and it still doesn't seem real to me yet! besides the belly sticking out already, I don't really have any symptoms to speak of (well, there's that bionic nose thing, but no morning sickness or anything like my first pregnancy).
I have my first ob appt today, and I'm terrified he'll find something wrong! I don't remember feeling this way the last time....:
#173 of 177 Old 04-08-2003, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Bec,
I totally agree with Gossamer that you should put together a birth plan and go over it with your doctor before you go into labor. There are web sites with sample birth plans- I don't have the resources with me now but if you want I can get some of the web addresses for you. My DH and I put together a detailed birth plan before DD was born. She was born at home with a midwife but we had the birth plan and went over it with our back-up doctor just in case we would have needed to transfer to the hospital. I think (if I remember correctly) it is also a good idea for the hospital to have a copy of your birth plan on file so that if you doc is unavailable or just so the other staff know what your preferences are.
-Julie
#174 of 177 Old 04-08-2003, 01:05 PM

Hello Mamas!!!

Not much new going on here. I spend most of my day like this . :LOL

Anyways just wanted to pop in and say welcome to all the new mamas. Since everyone seems ok about starting a November/December thread I am going to go do that now.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#175 of 177 Old 04-08-2003, 04:46 PM

Hello...I guess I'll start posting on the Nov/Dec thread.

Gossamer, I also feel good with no "symptoms". I'm just tired. I guess I'll consider myself lucky.

I can't wait for my first u/s next week!!! Come on Tuesday!!
#176 of 177 Old 04-09-2003, 11:48 AM

Hi all,
I went on a little 2 night weekend vacation to the coast this weeknd and it was so nice. Two days without the unwashed dishes staring at me, but being too tired to do them. DS loved the beach, it was his first time. I got diarrhea the first day which was a bummer, but other than that I felt alright. I am so tired these days it takes all my energy to watch and entertain ds that I have no energy left for cooking or cleaning. I am 9 weeks though so only 3 more until second trimester, I am counting down.
#177 of 177 Old 04-09-2003, 12:57 PM

mamatheart23-Welcome back! I know what you mean about all your energy going to taking care of the little ones. We started a new thread called November/December Mamas. Come join us!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page