Tell me your Black/Blue Cohosh experiences - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My FIL brought me some black and blue cohosh (in the form of tea) but now I don't know if I really want to take it. I have been having contractions every day now for almost two weeks but they are not painful - just mildly uncomfortable - and they are not regular. I was hoping to use the tea to regulate them but I am finding side effects online that are a little scary to me. Some were talking about blue cohosh causing heart problems, which I've never heard so I don't know how accurate this site was...and another said that the black cohosh did help regulate contractions, but also caused heavy fatigue which I definitely don't want if I'm about to meet a new baby. For those of you who have had any experience with it, what was your overall impression of it? What form did you take (tea, tincture, capsules, whatever)? Did it induce labor or regulate contractions you were already having? Did you have side effects?

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#2 of 13 Old 05-17-2006, 10:46 PM

I took tinctures at 41w5d and all it did was make me feel exhausted. Baby was born at 42w1d.
#3 of 13 Old 05-17-2006, 11:10 PM

i took tinctures made by my midwife (the same midwife as DreamsInDigital -- Lydia! how are you? omigosh, i just realized Winter is almost 6 months old! ack!) when i had already been in labor for about 30 hours. it seemed to help make my contractions stronger and maybe closer together and my cervix finished dilating from 8 to 10 in less than 2 hours. i don't think i would use them if i wasn't already in labor.

also, from what i know, the homeopathic versions are much safer to use (cimicifuga and caullophyllum) because they are such minute doses.

~claudia
#4 of 13 Old 05-18-2006, 08:52 AM

But you aren't due for another 10 days at least. Why would you want to force labor so soon?

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#5 of 13 Old 05-18-2006, 09:38 AM

I took a bunch of blue cohosh in tincture form when I went into labor at 41weeks 3days. I think it made my contractions come on stronger and faster than expected, be careful.
#6 of 13 Old 05-18-2006, 11:31 AM

It sent me into labor, but my body wasn't ready for it so I ended up transferring to a hospital after it stalled and my water had been broken for too long. I wouldn't take chances with it again personally, unless I was 41 + weeks and going to have to transfer soon if I didn't.
#7 of 13 Old 05-18-2006, 12:23 PM

I did a whole protocol with black cohosh, evening primrose oil, and something else (rrl tea maybe?). Didn't work. I had been having strong BH for weeks (was then 39.5 weeks and READY) and the herbs stopped them dead in their tracks. Made me feel sick too.
#8 of 13 Old 05-18-2006, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, I was under the impression that it wouldn't actually INDUCE labor, but it would regulate existing contractions. Thanks for your experiences so far!

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#9 of 13 Old 05-18-2006, 03:54 PM

I would caution that just because it's natural and herbal doesn't mean it's not a drug and that it's not an intervention. Attempting to induce or regulate contractions for your body is ready, no matter how you do it (cervadil, cohosh, castor oil, pitocin), can cause undesired side-effects. I would tell you that prodromal labor sucks, but it's healthiest for you to just live with it, the real thing will start at some point. Your body knows what it's doing.

Just my 2 cents.
#10 of 13 Old 05-18-2006, 11:21 PM

Have you read information at gentlebirth.org (the midwives archives section)?

I have reasearched just about every form of induction. Natural, pharmacutical, physical etc. I personally feel VERY safe with Black and Blue cohosh. I used it with my last pregnancy. I don't believe tea is "strong enough" to really do the work but that is my personal opinion. If you really want to get things going, I don't think anything is appropriate before 40 or 41 weeks, but then it's better to use the tinctues because just a dose or two under the tounge should get things moving at least.

Black cohosh is a uterine toner. It alone WILL NOT send you into labor. Blue cohosh IS a stimulant and will absolutely bring on contractions. That is why it should be teemed with black cohosh or another regulating type herb.

Herbs are medicine and should be treated seriously. ON the other hand, while many herbs have not gone through gold standard trials, they have been used in all of human history and have an excellent track record.

You should speak with your care provider and do it with their help and supervision.

Again, these are my opinions and the result of my personal research.
You may come to entirely different conclusions.

Blessings,
micky
#11 of 13 Old 05-22-2006, 02:10 PM

For me, MIL helped me take some both pregnancies. I personally regret it. I feel all it did was stress me out, baby, and had negative affects. I think it is bad stuff. Didn't help me to have a natural birth either.I think it complicated things.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#12 of 13 Old 05-23-2006, 03:26 PM

I took blue cohosh both in tea and under the tongue (BAD idea- burns like heck!) when I was overdue. Didn't do a darn thing for me.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#13 of 13 Old 05-23-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikadi
But you aren't due for another 10 days at least. Why would you want to force labor so soon?

Keri

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page