Pregnant and nursing ALOT help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-04-2003, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all I just found out I'm pregnant edd 10/30 and I'm so nervous because DS is only 10 months old. We've tried solid food and while he likes it as a hobby, he doesnt really eat. Visualize gallons of organic food cubes in my freezer going to waste

Anyway I'd say he's 98% breast fed including frequent night nursings -like every 1.5 hours. I'm still amazed that I ovulated at all.
It is such blessing and I am grateful for my apparently robust fertility but I am feeling badly for my son who IMO isn't ready for this. I worry about his nutritional and emotional needs not being met. I always hoped to have a second child spaced about two years and tandem nurse but I worry this is just a little soon. Anyone have advice or experience to share? Also are there any good books for nursing while pregnant/ tandem nursing? I'm seeing the pediatrician tomarrow and want to be prepared.
I'm feeling so torn -joy over the miracle of pregnancy and heartbreak for my sweet little nurser.
Aimee
#2 of 4 Old 03-04-2003, 01:56 PM

Right there with you, except mine is a touch older...14 months. He is still a passionate nurser and I met with some resistance (with the nurses, haven't spoken with the dr yet) to continuing nursing. Finally after asking her to give me a medical reason for weaning since I just didn't see the problem as long as I got proper nutrients she relented and said a few of the drs patients had continued to nurse during pregnancy.

I personally don't see how it is possible, with my child, to wean right now. I have spent so much time trying to get in tune with his needs that ignoring them right now, just because I'm pregnant, seems impossible. He gets upset if I make him wait a few minutes so I can go to the bathroom first...maybe some would call me a wimp, but I just can't do that to him right now. He is so not ready.

I was pretty shocked that I got pregnant too...besides nursing so much, I went through almost 7 years of IF to get my first. Sort of blew me away to get pregant without even trying.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#3 of 4 Old 03-04-2003, 01:57 PM

Although my son was almost a year older than your child when I became pregnant, he was very much nursing full time. During the nights and every 2 hours or so when I was available during the day. I thought for sure I would keep my milk with all this nursing, but I think it is gone now (20 weeks). He is still nursing with the same pattern though. So, your child's emotional needs of nursing can certainly continue to be met. About nutrition, my son also didn't start eating solids much until about 10 months and really picked up after that. Perhaps your daughter will begin to show more interest soon... At any rate, if your milk supply starts to diminish, that may motivate her to eat more solids as well.

Maybe a mom with more closely spaced babies can share their experience?

Congratulations on the pregnancy and your commitment to continue to nurse your daughter!
#4 of 4 Old 03-06-2003, 08:23 AM

Hi mamas!

I'm also pregnant, and dd will be 14 mos when our new babe arrives. She was exclusively bfing, very frequently at night, too, and I had not thought to start solids at all until 12 mos. So we modified our plans a bit.

We "introduced" food at 9 mos, but dd wasn't so interested until around 11 mos. But I did notice that she needed more nutrients than she was getting, my supply definitely wasn't what it was. Now she eats an array of foods, and still bfs (dd is 12.5 mos now) around 6 times a day, more sometimes, and a couple of times at night. There is milk, but I think she bfs for comfort not nutrition nowadays.

I don't know how it will work with tandem nursing, dd may revert to fulltime bfing, or she may keep going on with the food. We'll play it by ear, I guess.

Good luck,

bunny

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page