Natural ways to encourage breech baby to flip? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-24-2006, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just found out that my baby, who was head down last week, has flipped and is now breech.

I'm only 31.2 weeks, and my OBGYN reassures me that there's nothing to worry about yet, but my SIL had a c-section b/c of a breech baby and I know that hospitals where I live are very unwilling to let a mother try to deliver breech naturally. It's always been one of my worries, for some reason.

Anyway, can anyone recommend some exercizes or something I can do to help the baby turn around?

And alternately, has anyone delivered a breech baby vaginally?

Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 05-24-2006, 02:17 PM

I personally don't have any experience, but my acupuncturist has successfully turned a few babies. I am not sure how far along the pregnancies were, though. Best of luck!

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27
#3 of 13 Old 05-24-2006, 02:31 PM

It is actually very common for babies to flip back and forth the last trimester. My DS#2 decided to flip breech and sunnyside (face up) at 39.5 weeks. He lasted about 2 days that way before flipping back... guess it wasn't that comfortable for him. I know it wasn't for me. He wasn't born for another almost 2 weeks.

There is a chiropractic move called the Webster that helps flip babies. here's a website to find a qualified Chiro in your area.
http://www.icpa4kids.com/find_pediat...iropractor.htm

There is an accupunture technique called moxibustion.
http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/abc/moxibustion.html

And the Spinning Babies website has some great info on flipping the baby. There are a couple of yoga moves that help to get the baby into the right position.

http://www.spinningbabies.com/
#4 of 13 Old 05-24-2006, 02:36 PM

www.breechbabies.com

Great website for preparing to birth a breech babe. My breech born babe is now 20 months old. What position is your baby in? Frank breech; legs straight up is the least likely to turn. Complete breech; legs folded across abdomen and footling breech; legs folded under bum are the most likely to turn easily.

Best wishes! If you have any questions on birthing breech ask away!
Sarah
#5 of 13 Old 05-24-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!

Chumani-
I'm not sure what position he's in exactly, although she said his feet and hands are in front of his face which makes me think Frank breech. Ahh! Did your midwife turn your breech baby during labor, or did you deliver breech? What are the main risks involved (why are the doctors so reluctant to try natural delivery)?

Thanks!
#6 of 13 Old 05-24-2006, 03:35 PM

Sitting with your pelvis up and your back flat is one good way to give a breech baby teh grativy to turn. Another thing to try is crawling on hands and knees give baby room to move. I can't say enough about chiropractic, it does wonders. Good luck and natural birth vibes going out to you.
#7 of 13 Old 05-24-2006, 03:59 PM

babybun~ I birthed my dd frank breech. We didn't try to turn her as I felt strongly that she needed to be born breech. I spent at least an hour every day meditating/praying on what was best for my baby. We were able to find a homebirth midwife willing to travel 5 hours to assist in the birth of our breech baby.

Most doctors don't know what to do at a breech birth. The safety of breech birth is influenced more by the caregivers lack of knowledge rather than breech position being inherently dangerous. All of my research has supported that breech is just a variation of normal birth. I am so frustrated by the attitude that a breech baby must be turned at all costs. Some babies need to be born breech and trying to turn them would cause more problems than being birthed breech. I read every breech birth story I could find online. I spent hours visualizing myself in every breech birth scenario, including a c-section. Google the terms "breech birth" and "breech homebirth" they turn up tons of wonderful links to help prepare for a breech birth.

I have my breech homebirth on video, I have a friend currently transferring it to dvd. I am hoping to be able to offer copies to anyone wanting to see a vaginal breech birth.

Here is a wonderful book on breech birth.
http://www.birthinternational.com/pr...ook/bk511.html

Best wishes for baby to turn and/or to find a supportive caregiver!
Sarah
#8 of 13 Old 05-24-2006, 04:01 PM

I'm sure baby will flip around with time. Mine was breech last week and is now head down! All in a week, w/o me really doing anything.

Some things you can try are:

Laying on something hard and flat, like an ironing board, and tilting it so your feet are in the air and you head is down. Do that for like 10 min. a couple times a day.

Finding the head and putting something frozen next to it and putting a light and/or music on the bottom of your belly. While down on your hands and knees. They don't like the coldness and tend to go towards the light/sounds.

Talking to your baby.

HTH! Good Luck Mama!
#9 of 13 Old 05-24-2006, 04:59 PM

Hello!
You're right, you've got plenty of time. The pp's website references are great. The techniques they should all include are pelvic tilt positioning, Webster's technique, accupunture, moxibustion, rebozo shawl (someone around here just had a breech turn using this technique). Be sure and do a search here for 'breech' and read some breech birth stories.

I found out late that my babe was breech and nothing worked for me....not even a (painful) version. My baby boy was born vaginal breech in January with the only willing and experienced doctor in town. It was definitely not my ideal birth experience, but I did get to birth vaginally!

Good luck...and try not to stress about it. Really, you've got a lot of time and good resources. I know, easier said than done.

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#10 of 13 Old 05-24-2006, 06:00 PM

Here are some picture of a breech birth from a local midwife's website: Breech birth

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#11 of 13 Old 05-25-2006, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great responses and resources!

I hope the baby turns, but Chumani, you raise an interesting point that perhaps all babies aren't meant to turn and breech is the natural way for them to be born... naturally!
#12 of 13 Old 05-25-2006, 03:46 PM

My ds turned transverse from vertex @ 39 1/2 weeks. My chiro did the Webster technique and he turned. So, it worked for us!
#13 of 13 Old 05-25-2006, 05:14 PM

Spinning babies website is a good one. I flipped my breecher around 36 weeks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page