Being induced by 39 weeks... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2006, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, this is my first post here!

Although I've had all hospital births (all inductions, actually, and half of my pregnancies were high risk) I thought I'd ask all of the natural mommies here for some advice.

This pregnancy, baby #6, I developed high blood pressure at around week 32-33. It is barely under control with medication right now, even though I've been doing the best with my diet that I can and taking it easy.

Here's the issue. My OB wants to induce by week 39 because, frankly, she's worried about my blood pressure and thinks I do NOT need to be pregnant any longer than necessary. Just this past week I accidentally scratched off a tiny scab on my leg and after the bleeding stopped, I *leaked water* from my poor edema-tortured legs!! Ugh.

I have accepted that I will be induced, but at the end of week 37 is there anything I can do to help things along naturally? Even if I don't go into labor, I'd like to help the dilation/effacement process if possible so that I can get through my induction as efficiently as I can AND without additional medication. I did so with my last induction but it was AWUL.

So, are there any suggestions for me? What about nipple stimulation? Does sex really help? My husband is worried for my health and I'm worried that the stress of induction will be worse than just letting things go...*sigh*

Help? LOL

thanks!

*Oh, forgot to mention that I've had several ultrasounds to watch the baby's growth and that I tested positive (1:149) for Down Syndrome but everything showed that baby is fine and growing on schedule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 03:59 AM

I'm sorry things are so stressful for you. The best safe remedies I have heard of to get things moving are sex and walking, especially going up stairs. The sex helps your cervix to soften and dilate. The walking and stair climing helps the baby to start to drop.

When I was pregnant with my dd, dh and I had sex as much as we could stand. I was really nicely effaced by 38-39 weeks. Unfortunately it took me longer to decide I really wanted to start walking much, so I can't really say from personal experience how well that works. But in my opinion these are two of the safest possible "remedies" for getting a baby to come that I've heard of. So many of the other "natural" remedies can have some serious problems and I wasn't willing to try them.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:31 PM

Are they giving you cervadil before pit for your induction? I would guess they likely are. Though not a natural remedy, perhaps a couple of rounds of cervadil would make the rest of the induction simpler?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:19 PM

http://www.doula4birth.com

I've been posting that a lot lately.

Getting the baby into an optimal position will help your induction be more efficient and less stressful for you and baby.

Don't lay in the bed during labor!! This is KEY. You must walk around, sit on a labor stool or labor ball (upright, leaning forward, etc), etc. You can't lay in a bed with a drip in and expect labor to progress quickly and easily.

Good luck, mama!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies! Well, the decision has sort of been made for me...went to my OB today and I had gained 6 pounds in a week so I am being induced this Friday! We're getting too nervous with the preeclampsia and don't want to take any chances. OB will give me cervadil Fri. morning before the induction but I'm on bed rest until then.

I'm really nervous although I have been reading through the birth stories here and elsewhere from moms who have had preeclampsia and am confident that my doc will manage it well. Wish I didn't have to be induced, but at this point I think I'm GLAD for my and baby's sake. I just hope to avoid magnesium sulfate unless it's absolutely necessary. NOT hearing good things about that but know it can be important.

Wahhhh!! I had hoped this would be different but I know God is in control.

Thanks for the advice!!

User Tag List