herpes and prophylactic Valtrex? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2006, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was diagnosed with herpes about 5-6 years ago. During that time I've had maybe 2-3 outbreaks, and none of them the classic kind with open sores (other than the very first occurrence). With my first pregnancy I was put on Valtrex from 36 weeks to prevent any outbreaks. I'm kind of sketchy on wanting to do it this time especially since I hardly ever have an outbreak. But, I'm sort of afraid too. I have been having some itching lately (Sorry if TMI!) and a tiny bump that looks more like an ingrown hair than anything. truthfully one of the main things that is bugging me about it is that my mom had her Tarot cards read and she had a mother and son card (we think it's a boy) with some kind of delay, and she also drew the hospital card (we're planning a homebirth). So I'm worried about anything that could land me in the hospital I guess!

if you had herpes, what did you do? I guess I'm just concerned that I won't know if I'm having an outbreak or not? and I know the tests aren't very reliable on viral shedding. I don't want to be stupid but I don't want to take unnecessary pharmaceuticals either.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have HSV and did not take Valtrex during my pregnancy. The supplement Lysine has been shown to reduce the number of outbreaks significantly, although I didn't know that until after I gave birth. Many studies have shown that unless you're having your primary outbreak, which clearly you're not, the likelihood of transmission to the baby during birth is very, very slim.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:34 PM

Remember that you have antibodies to the virus which the baby will receive. Unfortunately these antibodies eventually wear off from the baby (I think it's sometime within the first year), but they'll be there to protect it during the birth.

Here, I found a quote from this page http://www.herpes.com/pregnancy.shtml
Quote:
Fortunately, babies of mothers with long-standing herpes infections have a natural protection against the virus. Herpes antibodies in the mother's blood cross the placenta to the fetus. These antibodies help protect the baby from acquiring infection during birth, even if there is some virus in the birth canal. That's the major reason that mothers with recurrent genital herpes rarely transmit herpes to their babies during delivery. Even women who acquire genital herpes during the first two trimesters of pregnancy are usually able to supply sufficient antibody to help protect the fetus.
I also found this on the same page
Quote:
Acyclovir is occasionally prescribed for pregnant women who suffer from extremely frequent outbreaks, or those who acquire genital herpes during pregnancy. The use of acyclovir, valacyclovir, or famciclovir during pregnancy is not recommended by ACOG or approved for use during pregnancy by the Food and Drug Administration. Ongoing studies may clarify the role of antiviral medications.
and Valtrex is valcyclovir.

I second the L-Lysine when not pregnant, but I am not sure about its use during pregnancy http://www.safefetus.com/DrugDetail....e&TradeId=2544

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Old 05-30-2006, 12:54 AM

I have had GH for about 3 years, and unfortunately DO suffer from frequent Obs. I too was going back and forth as to whether or not to take the meds, and have made the decision to take the Valtrex starting at 36 weeks. To me the benefits outweigh the risks, as I REALLY don't want a C-section. When I looked up Lysine and Valtrex on www.safefetus.com, I found that Lysine was in pregnancy category C, whereas Valtrex was in B, so I figured I would just go with the Valtrex. In your situation, having had only a few obs in 5-6 years, I would say you are probably ok to forgo the meds, if you really feel strongly against taking them. I am not thrilled about having to take them, but it is the best decision for me. Good luck!

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif

User Tag List