April Mamas, new thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 03-06-2003, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi y'all,
just checkin in to see how everyone is doing in their last few of weeks (i'm at 33 wks and some days).

just had a little ordeal these past 2 days...went to the "back-up" MW at the doc's office (to secure backup for our homebirth). this MW was there when i had dd (in hospital, but i knew she was pro-homebirth). the appointment was AWFUL. i couldn't find childcare for dd, so i had to bring her along. we waited about 40 minutes in the waiting room, while she touched EVERYTING in the place. when we finally go tin the exam room, we waited another 10 minutes or so, by which time she was completely expired. so that when the MW came in (finally) i was also pretty flustered at trying to keep dd from totalloy destroying the place. midwife was pretty unsupportive, but didn't say she would not back me up, just sort of ignored the whole issue (??) she got out the doppler to check baby's heartbeat (all the while, dd was balanceing on a little stool with wheels on it and turning the sink water on and off, on and off and spraying water everywhere), and what do ya know?? the baby is tachycardic (high heart beat), so she wants me to go ASAP to the HOSPITAL for a non-stress test. ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! so i took dd to her dad's office and told him to please just deal with her, called my homebirth MW and went over to her house where she listened to baby's heartbeat and still was fast. so i went to the hospital, had non-stress test, hooked up to EFM for an hour, finally got out of there at 10 pm, home at 10:30, exhausted physically and mentally. went back to day for a u/s and another non-stress test.

and EVERYTHING WAS PERFECTLY FINE.

harumph.

just trying to clear the whole experience out of my mind. except the perfect clarity about why i choose a homebirth.

thanks for reading my rant. and how are the rest of y'all??
#2 of 78 Old 03-06-2003, 08:11 AM

Oh, bunny's mama

Just reading your post I could feel the frustration! Well, the countdown continues and these things will just fade away while gazing adoringly at your brand new wee one.

I am in desperate need of a daily nap which I don't always get, but other than that, just twiddling my thumbs

bunny
#3 of 78 Old 03-06-2003, 11:53 AM

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. How stressful!!!!! I hope you don't have to go through that again.

Last week, I had the stomach flu. Couldn't eat anything except toast and gatorade. Being sick when you are pregnant lasts FOREVER.

Dane is so excited and is counting the days until his sister arrives. I had a baby shower on sunday~very fun and got alot of things I needed (like baby diaper service from my wonderful MIL!)

Going to workout this morning (its been a week) and then see my midwife this afternoon for my 34 wk. checkup.

Take care everyone~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#4 of 78 Old 03-06-2003, 12:23 PM

Finally getting to check the boards

bunny's mama so sorry to her about how bad your day went. I hate it when others panic and set off the little warnings inside us to find out everything is just fine.

I am 35 weeks? Or close to that. I have four weeks left .

Funny how nervious I am with this one that i was never with ds. I had such a good time in Seattle last week! Walked over a mile each day, that felt so good. And now back in cold, not to snowy, Minnesota I can not walk as much. Seems like my work load doubled, and then I have to stay in the office? I do sales my job is outside the office, but for some reason my boss whats to see me in the office?

I think she is trying to get rid of me. Who knows. We'll see. I want to go to school this fall anyways.

Sometimes I want to go into labor early just so i can have a break. Well i hope every one is doing fine!

Who is the first one due?
#5 of 78 Old 03-06-2003, 01:51 PM

I posted way back near the beginning of the April threads but I just haven't had a chance to post regularly. I'm due April 1, so a little over 36 weeks right now. Our little one just turned around last week - here's hoping it stays there. We are planning a VBAC and I'm really getting excited but very nervous as we get close.

Good luck all.
#6 of 78 Old 03-06-2003, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the kind words and support, y'all.

as i was walking out of the hospital, i said to the baby inside me, "now look, you've seen the hospital, that's it, WE'RE NOT COMING BACK HERE!" and baby gave a little kick. hee hee.

looks like cornflower will prolly be first. my EDD is 4/20.

finally found casting supplies to do my belly cast. maybe this weekend, since my folks are here to watch dd (altho i'd love for it to be like a 38 week belly, i figure i need to take these chances when they come!).

forgot to say that i had my blessing ceremony and it was just AWESOME. had everyone bring a bead for a necklace, and lots of friends sent beads from afar. this necklace is truly powerful...as i was sitting in the damn hospital, i just thought about my necklace in my drawer at home and felt instantly filled with the power of my female friends. so cool.

oh lisa, stomach flu. yech. there is a very nasty evil flu going around these parts. i'm just trying to stay healthy.

i hope EVERYONE is staying healthy and fit. we are all getting so close now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#7 of 78 Old 03-06-2003, 08:57 PM

Aw, Bunny's mama... so sorry!

I'm doing a-okay. I feel almost like the baby has dropped already! Let's see, I'm 33 weeks tomorrow. Baby seems to be fine... his heartrate is good and everything. I'm measuring right on or just slightly smaller. inky So no giant baby for me.

My funny story... I saw the midwife last Wednesday. When the midwife knelt next to me to feel the baby's position, my dd started mimicking her! It was SO hilarious! Now anytime I relax on the couch or anything, dd starts palpating my belly!

LOL... we're getting close, aren't we?
#8 of 78 Old 03-07-2003, 09:21 PM

HI,

Just 5 week to go I can`t believe it. Time is going by so fast.

We just moved in a new place with a small yard and there are boxes all standing around. Who cares . I`m so lazy. My (Step)MIL is coming from Germany April 3rd and she is a little bit messy like me. .
I hope the Midwife dosen`t care to much I try to do my best to get most of it in order.

One funny thing everybody is calling me tiny . Picture me, being 6 feet tall and 240 pounds and 35 weeks pregnent. :

Otherwise I`m feeling pretty good, except could use a little bit more sleep and a little less backache. But hey, thats part of the deal, isn`t it.

What do you guys think about the Name Mara??

Hope evrybody is doing well.

Gudrun and Anthony (May/00) and Babygirl (EDD April/03)
#9 of 78 Old 03-07-2003, 09:39 PM

I like the name Mara... I like less common names when possible!
#10 of 78 Old 03-07-2003, 10:30 PM

I like the name Mara~I'm one for different names too.

Today I put the stroller/infant car seat together and the changing table. Getting organized a bit. I can't believe that we have only a short amount of time left.

Warmly~

Lisa

#11 of 78 Old 03-07-2003, 11:54 PM

Buny's mama- ugh sounds like your day was awful.

I'm due April 5. I posted a long time ago on the April thread but have been crazy busy with work and my turbo 2 yo DS. I am now officially done with work- Hooo Weee! I'm 36 weeks now and planning a VBAC at a birth center. Last week it hit me that, oh my goodness, I am REALLY having another baby. Starting to gear up, pushed the changing table from DS's room into our room, set up the crib/side car, getting diapers and clothes together etc. We made a belly cast last weekend & I can't wait to paint it and hang it next to the one we made with DS. I started making a quilt last week too. I have sooo much to do around the house. I have lots of piles to deal with and I'd like them gone before this baby arrives.

I went over by 2 weeks with DS- I am hoping that this one comes a bit earlier, but I keep telling myself that I still might have 6 weeks to go.

My DS goes to all of my midwife appts with DH and me- He pretends to take my blood pressure and says, "I'm a midwife and I need to take your pressures" Too funny. He also wants to name our baby Chair, Lotion or Cream Cheese. But...We are going to name her Sylvia or him Sigmund. Not sure about middle names though. Probably not chair, Lotion or Cream Cheese.

Hoping to get on here more now that I'm not having to go to work!

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

#12 of 78 Old 03-08-2003, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

gret, what's wrong with Sylvia Cream Cheese??? or Sigmund Lotion-Chair?? lovely names!!

and gugu, i like mara, also moira, the irish version. i knew a mara growing up and she was a very gentle, sweet soul.

so EDDs so far:
cornflower 4/1
d'anne 4/2
gret 4/5
gugu 4/13 (??)
bunny's mama 4/20
busybusy 4/27 (??)

starfire??
lisamarie??
bunny??

anyone else??
#13 of 78 Old 03-08-2003, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bunny's mama
gret, what's wrong with Sylvia Cream Cheese??? or Sigmund Lotion-Chair?? lovely names!!

and gugu, i like mara, also moira, the irish version. i knew a mara growing up and she was a very gentle, sweet soul.

so EDDs so far:
cornflower 4/1
d'anne 4/2
gret 4/5
gugu 4/13 (??)
bunny's mama 4/20
busybusy 4/27 (??)

starfire??
lisamarie??
bunny??

anyone else??
My edd is 04/25/03

Oh, I LOVE Moira... but I don't think dh is crazy about it. We have trouble agreeing on names! LOL
#14 of 78 Old 03-09-2003, 12:43 AM

Ok April Mama's (I've added mine below):

so EDDs so far:

cornflower 4/1
d'anne 4/2
gret 4/5
gugu 4/13 (??)
lisamaire 4/14
bunny's mama 4/20
busybusy 4/27 (??)

starfire??
bunny??

Warmly~

Lisa

#15 of 78 Old 03-09-2003, 04:11 AM

Hi all!

bunny's mama, how did the bellycasting go? Where are you going to put it when it's done? I can just see it as a centerpiece on special occasions, LOL! Maybe you can paint a portrait of your babe in utero on the inside of it.

My EDD is April 23. I feel like we need a cheer or something, like "go mamas, go babies, we are healthy, we are strong, welcome to the next phase!"

Maybe I'm just in a wierd mood

bunny
#16 of 78 Old 03-09-2003, 12:07 PM

Gimne a B!
Gimme an A!

Gimme another B!!!
Gimme a Y!!!

HOORAY BABY!

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

#17 of 78 Old 03-09-2003, 12:13 PM

Anyone here planning a vbac?

#18 of 78 Old 03-09-2003, 08:32 PM

We are. Everything is go so far. I'm feeling pretty amazed at the thought that this will be happening so soon - just working on keeping the positive thought flowing.
#19 of 78 Old 03-09-2003, 11:24 PM

Hey April Mamas! Glad you're all doing well!!! We're sooo close!!!!

I'm feeling good--almost 33 weeks! It's amazing how fast it's flying by! I've been having such a hard time sleeping at night, but other than that, I've got few complaints. My blessingway is in two weeks, and then my bellycasting the week after. The tub arrives then, too! Then...it's babytime!

Oh, and our hypnobirthing class started tonight ! Yeah! It's fun to be getting in babymode again!
#20 of 78 Old 03-10-2003, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

the belly casting went great. i am so proud of my dh, he did a fantasitc job, and is not a crafty guy AT ALL.

it's drying in the garage, then i'll finish wiping all the vaseline out of the it (yech!), coat the inside with plaster of paris to make it strong, coat the outside with gesso to even it out, and then paint it. i'm thinking of an ocean scene for this one, since 1) we moved out to the beach while i was pg, and 2) i've been having these amazing visions of how dolphins and whales give birth...the babies just seem to slither right out of the mamas so easily. it inspires me, and i've been envisioning myself as a dolphin giving birth in water.

we have dd's belly cast hanging on the wall in our bedroom, but i think we'll put this one up in dd's room. they are so awesome to look at, and i think the kids will really appreciate them as they get older and really understand that was THEM in there!

who among us are planning to birth at home? hospital? birthing center? (we are planning a homebirth)
#21 of 78 Old 03-10-2003, 11:45 PM

Sounds like we're all getting settled and ready for babies!

I'm looking forward to a home-water birth this time. Lots of people want to be there, but so far I've only given the okay to: dh and dd (of course), my mom (support person for dd), and a family friend who is needing to do three births to be certified as a doula. Oh, and the midwife and her asst. of course. LOL My grandma wants to be there too, but I'm playing it by ear.

The belly cast sounds so cool... I wish I could get motivated enough to do one. I doubt there's anywhere to have that done here!

I need to get on the ball... I feel the need to be prepared at 36 weeks. I swear, it feels like I have a bowling ball in my pelvis just ready to fall out... if only it could be that easy! :

Michelle 33w3d and feeling like baby's dropped already!
#22 of 78 Old 03-11-2003, 12:12 AM

Hi, it's been a while since I've posted here. I'm due April 8th (7th according to me, 8th according to the doctor -- I conceived on day 13, but who's splitting hairs...) so I'm 36 weeks today. I'm so excited to be full term next week!!! Ds was born at 39.5 weeks so I'm thinking it's possible that this baby could be here in a couple of weeks. But who knows, it's all a guessing game.

Everything going really well. Textbook pregnancy as my OB says. I'm so excited to have this baby and find out if it's a boy or a girl!!! I CAN"T WAIT!!!

Hope you ladies are all feeling well. We're getting SO close!!!
#23 of 78 Old 03-11-2003, 12:16 AM

Thanks for sharing your belly casting story! My sister and some close friends are coming over at the end of the month (when I'm about 37-38 wks.) to give me a belly casting/casserole party. Everyone is bringing a homecooked meal to be put in our freezer for after Amber arrives and then we are going to do a belly mask! I can 't wait.

We are planning a waterbirth at a freestanding birth center. This sunday, we are taking a "birthing from within" class from a friend who is also going to be our birth photographer. Last Sunday, I had some pregnancy photos taken here at our house. I had always wanted to do these things w/my first, but $$ were tight and things were a bit stressed.

I feel much more relaxed this time around and so supported. My ds is also going to be present at his sisters birth and he wants to take photos as well. So it will be the three of us, my doula and midwife and our birth photographer. My mom wants to be at the birthing center, but natural birth makes her nervous. Her comment was this weekend "I just don't see why you don't get an epidural?" I had a natural birth the first time, but labor/birthing noises scare her.

Feeling great pregnancy wise, except I just got over the stomach flu and now I have another sinus infection!:

Warmly~

Lisa

#24 of 78 Old 03-11-2003, 12:53 AM

We made a belly cast last weekend- it is very cool! We also have one for my DS- they both will hang in our room. It is amazing how differnt my shape is this time- way out front. Doing the cast made me really see it.

We are going to a free standing birth center with the option of water birth- we'll play it by ear and see if I want to be in the water at that time or not. With DS we planned a homebirth- ended up with a CS so I am really trying to stay focused on pushing this baby out. I've never experienced labor, and I cannot wait!

#25 of 78 Old 03-11-2003, 07:25 AM

Wow, bellycasting sounds great! Gret, are you going to paint yours?

I love dolphins, what amazing imagery to have while giving birth. I wonder if dolphin babies have that squished look, too, when they come out, lol.

Do you think it's normal not to have any Braxton Hicks? I never had any with dd either- unless I just never noticed they were happening:

I am going to give birth in hospital, but with a midwife and labor coach- and dh, of course- and we plan to try and sneak in a tub. Dh and I are going to scout out the floor plan of the birthing ward to see where all the elevators and stairs are, and what would be the least obtrusive way to get it past all the nurses.

Wish us luck

bunny
#26 of 78 Old 03-11-2003, 07:26 AM

I forgot to ask, can you guys with belly casts post pictures of them so we can see what they look like?

Thanks,

bunny
#27 of 78 Old 03-11-2003, 08:59 AM

We'll probably paint it a solid color, unless dh gets inspired otherwise. The one we have for DS is all salmon & I love how simple it is. We'll see! I'll try to show you all a picture of both of them!

#28 of 78 Old 03-11-2003, 11:25 AM

No belly casting for us. My house is so small and I have no where else to put it. There really is no storage space around us. But I love all the stories!

I am 35 weeks, and some days I hope i am early even though no one in my family ever went before 42 weeks. And most of the seconds were 43 weeks. But they do say every one is different, and I have the only boy .

We did not find out what this one is, but people are all dreaming of a girl. If it is I think I am done. Or at least for the next ten years. there are plenty of mama's who are 35+ you conceive and have healthy pg's.

I am hopeing that DP gets the job he applied for, then I can stay at home for 5 months with the baby, and go to school in the fall! I do think for the summer, the baby, ds and I are going to live on my Step dad's farm for a couple months. Get out of the city, have tons of room to explore, and jusy get to know the baby. I asked DP if he liked the idea, and he said he would get bored. What is more exciting than having all the time in the world to spend with a new one? :

Oh well.

I love that the closer we get the more people are checking in. It actully makes me feel good to read how others are, and what other mama's are doing . I wish I could write more but must get to work.

Have a great day!!!!

oh, we are planning a home birth if I go into labor at night and if I go inot labor durning the day and DP can't handle it I will go into a Hos. the midwife (my aunt) has a job where no matter what the emergency is she can not leave work.
#29 of 78 Old 03-12-2003, 05:05 PM

Question about the belly casting. It sounds really neat, but we're tight financially right now. Is it something I could do on my own or do you have to get someone to do it? How do you do it? Do you have to buy a kit or can you make your own supplies? What about doing it like paper mache or something, just from ripped up paper and that glue (which I'm sure I could get cheap at a craft store???), or is that totally disgusting to put all over your belly? I have no clue, thus the questions. I would love anyone's input.
#30 of 78 Old 03-12-2003, 05:07 PM

Another question -- did/are any of you doing anything to help labour along, such as natural labour inducers? If so, what and when did you start? Of course, I plan on starting a lot of walking and a lot of sex as soon as I hit 37 weeks (on Monday) but just curious as to what, if anything, you guys are doing and how soon you started.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page