Prenatal Vitamins Advice? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 08-01-2007, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found that when comparing labels, the average prenatal has everything a children's chewable has in it, and more often than not, the children's vitamins have higher DV%, plus, they taste better. My OB agreed, and i've been eating flinstones chewables with no complaints.
#32 of 53 Old 08-19-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamimapster View Post
Trader Joe's house label Prenatals are made by rainbow light
When I was in the stage of preparing my body for TTC time, I ordered the Rainbow Light from drugstore.com, the cost about $20. I decided that was a little steep and picked up the Trader Joe's brand, which is identical in content. It was almost 1/2 the price at $11.99. I am almost done with the rainbow light's and expect a smooth transition to the Trader Joe's. I am not officially pregnant but I POAS on a stick tomorrow morning at about 26 DPO to confirm. Eeee!
#33 of 53 Old 08-19-2007, 01:32 PM

I took New Chapter while I was pregnant and still do now that I'm nursing. Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!

Raspberry Swirl--good luck w/POAS and I love your screen name! Yay, Tori!
#34 of 53 Old 08-27-2007, 09:30 AM

I have a quick quesiton about New Chapter. Seems good, but what about all the soy and yeast?
#35 of 53 Old 10-10-2007, 12:20 PM

I'm glad I found this thread! I've been taking a folate supplement while I was TTA. Now that I'm TTC, I figured I should probably take something more comprehensive and I wasn't sure if I should take prescription prenatals.
#36 of 53 Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I use rainbow light and have been very happy with them.

-Angela
I use rainbow light too. I usually can't take multi-vitamins because I'm really sensitive to the iron in them. No problems with rainbow light. I buy the larger 2 month supply for about $25/bottle.

I don't know what area you like in, but there is a health food store owned by wild oats called Henrys. They have all supplements 25% off until 1/16. I don't know whether Wild Oats is having the same promotion but it would be worth looking into.
#37 of 53 Old 01-18-2008, 02:49 AM

Hello,

My vote is on New Chapter, easy to swallow small whole food organic cultured vitamins (3/day). Can be pricey, I buy them on sale or shop online, luckyvitamins.com

Also, a big fan of Floradix liquid iron, I can feel the difference when I take it, and my iron levels are excellent.

Lastly, Mammas, please consider/research taking an omega fatty acid supplement. I take cod liver oil and DHA. You could eat fish or take flax oil, depending on your dietary wishes.

~amanda&babymac
#38 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM

Hi there! I'm new here, and also looking for a good prenatal. I think my nutritional intake is very good, but I feel better with some "backup", LOL!

I would be thrilled to find a whole-food, organic prenatal, but I DO NOT want iron in them. I don't need it, and I loathe what it does to my bowels! At this point, I am mixing and matching vitamins to get what I think I would want in a prenatal, just to avoid the dumb iron. (And, I might add, I'm getting pretty sick of 12-14 pills per day!!)

SO - any recommendations would be VERY gratefully received!!

THANK YOU!

Mouse Bandit

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

#39 of 53 Old 01-28-2008, 10:58 PM

Rainbow Light does have a 1-a-day; I think it cost me about $30 for the 150-pill bottle at Whole Foods. Can't wait to start taking them. I made the mistake of buying the Whole Foods brand vitamins without reading the dosage instructions and they are 3 big nasty pills/day.
#40 of 53 Old 02-20-2008, 12:04 AM

Just a comment from down under. I take Elevit - which is a one a day and has the full 800mcg of folic acid. It has more than the DV for some important minerals and vitamins but not in the ones which can be dangerous. I think it is important to remember some people lose a lot of nutrition due to morning sickness so a prenatal is insurance against that. Even though there is more iron than I currently need in it, so far it hasn't impacted on my digestion so I am sticking with it. I couldn't manage more than one pill per day while pregnant.

Me, DH and DD born 6/24/09

neg.gifDue July 2012

#41 of 53 Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandamac View Post
Hello,

My vote is on New Chapter, easy to swallow small whole food organic cultured vitamins (3/day). Can be pricey, I buy them on sale or shop online, luckyvitamins.com
<snip>
I also love New Chapter Organics- take them 3x a day- can take on an empty stomach and to me, the fact that I am nearly at 7 1/2 wks and haven't yet thrown up *knock on wood* is in part a testament to NC.
It is whole food based and has ingredients in it also suited for settling your stomach like ginger. Very gentle and the vitamins are smaller not horse pills.
Been taking Jarrow's Super Max DHA essential fatty acid caps with that (for fish oil) plus a calcium/magnesium tablet by Now both 2x a day.
I really do recommend NC:

Happily married with two tots (babyboy.gif J 10/18/08) & (babygirl.gif T 5/03/10) 

#42 of 53 Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 AM

I am glad I found this thread!
I have something from Whole Foods(cannot remember the name and too lazy to go look.. )and they are making me deathly ill...
#43 of 53 Old 04-05-2008, 06:25 PM

My fav is New Chapter's Perfect Prenatal.
#44 of 53 Old 04-07-2008, 11:39 PM

Yes, they are expensive, but New Chapter make me feel so great I've been taking them continuously since my daughter was born (now I'm pregnant again!). Great for hair, skin and nails as well.
#45 of 53 Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 PM

I am taking Super Mom vitamins, RRL vcaps, cod liver oil, chromium, calcium, garlic, acidolphilus, and cranberry. I take all of those 2x a day. I am very pleased with them. I used Prenatal Forte with last pregnancy and they were very good but I had to take 6 of those a day plus the extra things I was taking.
#46 of 53 Old 05-13-2008, 05:24 PM

New Chapter looks great except for the soy - I'm allergic. They slip soy into everything nowadays..

Any prenatals that are gluten, dairy, AND soy free?
#47 of 53 Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 AM

Actually I am interested in the gluten free as well, my sister is now preggers.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#48 of 53 Old 05-18-2008, 03:35 PM

I agree that new chapter is great!
#49 of 53 Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 PM

I have been using NOW Prenatal Vitamins and love them. They have all the calcium and magnesium you need in a day plus all the other vitamins and minerals you need. I found most of the other prenatals I looked at didn't have enough calcium and magnesium. They also contain a non-constipating form of iron. It truly doesn't constipate me and that has been great. They also are priced competitively. They come in capsules and so they are very absorbable. I could tolerate them also when I had morning sickness. The directions say to take 2 in the am and 2 in the pm. It hasn't been hard for me to manage at all compared to the other choice of trying to choke down several calcium and magnesium tablets plus prenatals.

I love them. You can find them at Luckyvitamin as well as through a lot of other online vitamin stores.
#50 of 53 Old 06-05-2008, 10:44 AM

I use Prenatal/Lactating from Puritan's Pride (prod number 8989). I've been taking them for almost 8 years now and really like them. They're also an awesome value. If you go to their website they often have buy 1 get 2,etc offers, which make them about $6/bottle.

My accupuncturist recommended this company to me, and we've been very happy with the quality and price.

Best wishes to you!

Mama to Noah Jude, 8/17/01, Emerson Lily, HBAC 8/3/03-8/3/03, Beatrice Ruth, homeborn 2/6/05, and Winter Juno Lucine, 12/22/08.:
#51 of 53 Old 06-16-2008, 07:26 PM

What does everyone think about the Rainbow Light Once Daily Prenatal? Oh and why does it turn your urine yellow/green?
#52 of 53 Old 06-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned

Newly expectant mothers often want to get started on vitamin supplements right away. Many worry that it will hurt the baby if they are too nauseated to take a vitamin, or if they didn't find out about their pregnancies until they were a few months along. But what do prenatal vitamins really accomplish? And which of their components are the most important?

Folic acid
Early in pregnancy, the only component of a multi- or prenatal vitamin that most mothers-to-be really need is folic acid (or folate). Women who are taking extra folic acid when they conceive lower their chances of having a baby with an incomplete spinal column (also known as a neural tube defect or spina bifida). For this protection to take effect, the folic acid has to be present in the first four weeks of fetal development, two of which happen before a woman even realizes that she is pregnant (you don't know until after you miss your first period, which usually occurs about two weeks after conception). That's why it is recommended that all women of childbearing age take either an over-the-counter vitamin containing folic acid or a plain folic acid supplement every day. This is true even if they're not planning on getting pregnant. About half of all pregnancies aren't planned, so being ready at all times is a good idea.

Folic acid is added to many breads and pastas, and is naturally found in many dark green or orange fruits and vegetables. Studies have found that taking a daily supplement offers more of the protective effect than getting the same amount in the form of food. Therefore, even women who eat a healthy diet may benefit from a supplement. The protective dose of folate is found in most regular vitamins (such as One-a-Day or Centrum) or in two chewable children's vitamins. The dose may be written 0.4 mg, 400 ug, or 400 mcg.

Mothers at extra risk for having a baby with a spinal defect usually will be told to take 10 times the recommended dose of folic acid. This 4 mg dose is only recommended for women who have had family members with spina bifida or are on drugs that increase their risk, such as some epilepsy medicines. This high dose of folate has not been shown to benefit those at average risk.

Other vitamins and minerals
Babies are excellent nutrition magnets! Drawing upon their mothers' bodies, they usually help themselves to everything that they need. Therefore, for most babies, extra vitamins are a bonus, not a necessity. Most mothers, however, do benefit from extra iron and calcium, which can be started later in the pregnancy.
#53 of 53 Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I haven't been taking my prenatals lately, but I took them before getting pregnant. I had both an over the counter and a OB prescribed one, but the only time I get truly nauseous is when I try them. I just got a health food generic of Flintstones though, and I'm gonna try that. My older sister said she had a similar problem holding down pills and this worked great.

Time Machine, thanks for your post. As a newly pregnant first time mom, I was totally freaking about my lack of prenatal usage. I've been doing good with my folic acid, iron and calcium though, no risks run in my family of any major diseases, and from all accounts baby is growing good. (No problems with my blood tests, no problems on ultrasound, baby is active and moving around a lot at fifteen/sixteen weeks, etc) Hopefully being a Flinstone kid will give me a bit more energy and cut down on some of the moodiness I've been feeling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page