Mothering Forum banner

pre term labor

924 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  princess buttercup 
#1 ·
i have had pre-term labor at 28 weeks and at 31 weeks. At each time I received a shot of Terbutaline. What can anybody tell me about it. I have been looking on the internet, not much there. Does anyone know of a healthier way to stop pre-term labor?

#2 ·
I try to minimize medical intervention in pregnancy and am careful about what I put in body, but that said......I wouldn't say no to terbeutaline if my doc recommended it which they did with both pregnancies. Pre term labor is scary to fool around with. With my first one, I had to take it in pill form around the clock. I wasn't sure it was necessary, but was afraid to skip it and go into labor..... With the second one, I only had a shot of terbeutaline once. After that, I really watched my fluid intake and rested when needed. I continued to have mild contractions throughout, but did not need the terbutaline to stop things.
The ironic thing is that with both pregnancies, I tried so hard to not go into labor early and had to be induced both times for toxemia!
:

Sending calm thoughts to you

Heather

#3 ·
I went into preterm labor at about the same stage as you, and also had a shot of terbutylene to stop it. For the rest of my pregnancy, I had episodes of regular contractions a few times a week. On the advice of my midwife, I would run a warm bath to relax in and drink half a glass of wine (alcohol is a muscle relaxant). A few times, when it was bad, I took a Vistaril, which is a prescription drug, but is considered safe to take during pregnancy.
I went full-term with her help...in fact, I went to 43 weeks! Grrr. Well, much better than having a premie. Tristan turned out healthy, alert, and is now a happy five month old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.