QUICK! What can I do to stop contractions at 25 weeks pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ive been having them all day every 10 -15 minutes (normal for me) and they just started to get intense and longer(NOT normal).
Dh just ran to the store to get some wine and Im running a warm bath right now. If that doesnt slow them down Im off to the hospital.

What else can I try before I leave tonight?

Send some "Baby stay IN" thoughts my way please
#2 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Banned

Call your doc and go to the hospital. I had contractions at 26 weeks, spent a stressful and crazy night in the hospital with an IV of something (I forget what) and went on to have a beautiful daughter at 38 weeks. Don't delay! Just go! Why wait at all. Better to go than be sorry you waited. Get your bag packed and sit by the front door. When dh returns, just hop in the car and go.
#3 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 01:20 AM

I second that....I had a 26 week preemie.... They can give you a few things to stop contractions but I would go in right away. The one thing they will tell you in the future is to make sure to drink LOTS OF WATER.....if you are in the least bit dehydrated, it can cause your uterus to contract....good luck

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#4 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 01:22 AM

Lie down, put your feet up, and drink a shot of whiskey. No joke...they used this in the days before terbutaline and magnesium sulfate. If you've been having contractions all day, you may be better off just going into the hospital. Can you call your midwife or doctor (or nurse?) for their opinion?

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#5 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy
The one thing they will tell you in the future is to make sure to drink LOTS OF WATER.....if you are in the least bit dehydrated, it can cause your uterus to contract....
Yeah that. If you think the wine will help, fine. But it's dehydrating, so drink water till your belly is full. Keep us up to date!

Good luck.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#6 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 09:06 AM

Good luck, mama. I have no useful advice to add, so I am sending many baby-stay-in vibes to you
#7 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 AM

Thinking of you... Hope everything is ok.
#8 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Go straight to the ER and call your OB or midwife on your cell phone on the way there.
#9 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 10:48 AM

Stay in, baby!!
#10 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 11:41 AM

please give us an update!!!
#11 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 12:12 PM

try a warm epsom salts bath - epsom salt is magnesium sulfate {same stuff they use at the hospital}.

It's been working for me lately to stop the little twinges that are not quite contractions, but definately not BH.

Good Luck and hope everyone turns out ok.
#12 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 01:03 PM

Drink lots of water!!!

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#13 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the positive thoughts, I am at least happy to report that my baby did stay in, at least for now.
#14 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Banned

So glad things are better. When I went in with contractions at 26 weeks, they gave me something to stop them and it was all right., not yucky or awful. But, it is good that you did not need anything. They probably did not mean to treat you badly for not having had prenatal care. They probably were just surprised since it is not the norm for them. As for the health nurse coming to visit, it is better to be safe than sorry.

I hope the rest of the pregnancy goes great. Remember to drink your water!
#15 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 01:19 PM

Yay! that's great!

Whatever will be, already is...

#16 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 03:09 PM

((hugs)) Glad that you and the little one to be are okay. As the others said... loads of water will help.
#17 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 03:47 PM

The bath and wine might have dehydrated you further. My midwife always says to drink a liter of water within a half hour if you are experiencing early contractions. Also, lay on your side and if they don't go away within an hour, call back. That's a quick way to find out whether the contractions are for real or not.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#18 of 18 Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea
I guess it wasnt as serious as I had thought because I didnt get the mag sulphate, thank goodness, Ive heard that its nasty stuff.
It's nasty stuff, but only if you stay on it a long time. If you're just on it for a day, it's not quite as bad. I was on it for 4 days, and about 2 days into it, I was feeling a bit cruddy.

Quote:
They wanted to book me for an ultrasound for this morning, but I refused because I really didnt see a reason
They may have been wanting to check you for IC (Incompetent Cervix). That's done via transvaginal u/s. It is one possible cause of PTL. I don't know if that's really what they were wanting to check though. I had an u/s in the hospital, but I had PROM, so they were checking fluid levels.

Quote:
Unfortunetly, I am having a UP/UC and with all the questions they asked and me not having a doctor, they became "concerned" and a health nurse is supposed to visit me today.
Yeah, I didn't get too much flak in the hospital, since I was seeing a midwife for my pregnancy, but at my postpartum check, the student who did my exam said "Next time, you should get prenatal care." : I went off on him, saying I DID have prenatal care and that my prenatal care was EXCELLENT. Unfortunately, prenatal care had nothing to do with my PROM!

Anyway, good luck! I had a 29 weeker, and yeah, NICU time isn't all that fun. Thankfully, he's a normal, healthy 2 year old (or will be in 2 weeks! Eek!). But there's a big difference between a 25 weeker and a 29 weeker, so every week you can keep that baby cooking is definitely worth it in the long run!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page