Mothering Forum banner

round ligament pain and lower back pain?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  lorijds 
#1 ·
This comes and goes every day. I'll be 20 weeks on Friday.

I feel pressure in the lower pelvic area (almost like my bladder isn't empty). I don't remember this when I was pregnant with my daughter. It is usually accompied by lower back pain. I don't think it's Braxton Hicks because it doesn't feel like contractions at all. I don't think it's an infection. All my urine samples came back fine. It happens almost every evening between 7-8pm. It can last from 1-2 hrs. Lying down usually helps. Is it just growing pains?

#2 ·
are you doing your kegels? i was doing 'some', but aparently not enough, i told my doc about this pressure adn she said, you should be doing kegels. i started doing it more often, and just scrunching helped w/the pressure. whew. so, i'm doing the elevator and also scrunching in the front, where the presure is. it feels a lot better.

it could be growing pains, but you probably also want to do some pelvic rotations, rocks, cat-cow, things like that. bellydancing, that kidna thing. it can get pretty stiff in there and some fluid buildup can make it sore, too. if it's the round ligament, you probably want to rub the side of your belly and stretch slowly and not too far. could also be related to which side your uterus is tipped to - if your uterus is tipped.

Lori

#3 ·
along with the kegels I recommend learning to tighten your transverse abdominal muscles - these are an essential part of supporting your baby and you tighten them by lifting up and in around the sides of your belly below the belly button level (breathe normally, never hold breath while doing this). There will be less stress on your back and pelvic floor muscles when you strengthen them.

Some describe it as hugging your baby from the inside. Doing this while standing up will help delay the onset of lower back and round ligamnet pain. Doing it in all fours (back straight) will strengthen the muscles even more. Learning to hold these muscles tight in all fours while raising and lowering one arm or leg at a time will do even more!

#4 ·
Emmaline, is that kind of like the same motion you would use for sucking in your stomach? I've been doing ab exercises now while I still can, and some of the ones I do are lying on my back and pulling the muscles in like I'm trying to press them to the floor from the inside. It sounds like there are a lot of other good positions for these that don't rely being on your back.

#6 ·
PELVIC ROCKS!!!!

You are on your hands and knees, and first you arch your back like an angry cat, looking down, then you arch your back like a sway-back old cow, looking up. You do these slowly, and hold the arch/stretch for several seconds.

This will help with the ligament pain and back pain, as well as strengthen and tone your back and abdominal muscles. It also helps the babe to be in a good position--ie NOT posterior, as it encourages the baby to roll to an anterior position.

Posterior = back labor!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.