Craving tuna - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we're supposed to avoid tuna while pregnant, so why oh why am I craving it so badly? I would kill for a tuna melt (and have broken down twice & had tuna).

I know no one can really help me, just had to vent!
#2 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 06:22 PM

me 2
i CRAVE it
i think i have had it twice too...
it is just such a GREAT source of so many good things (EXCEPT the mercury!!!)
try another fish instead like talopia, it is supposed to be a "cleaner" fish b/c of its size
can't have it in a slad the way we love tuna but AFTEr you eat it you may feel satisfied. and less guilty
#3 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 06:32 PM

#4 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 07:29 PM

It's ok to eat tuna once or twice a week. I have a tuna melt once a week & have eaten tuna with all 3 of my previous pregnancies & my kids are all doing fine. Just stick with the chunk light tuna, stay away from albacore. Bon apetit!
#5 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_chick
It's ok to eat tuna once or twice a week. I have a tuna melt once a week & have eaten tuna with all 3 of my previous pregnancies & my kids are all doing fine. Just stick with the chunk light tuna, stay away from albacore. Bon apetit!
:

I loved tuna melts when I was pregnant with dd, a few months before all the info about avoiding certain fish during pregnancy came out! :

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#6 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 08:10 PM

i lost a baby that had a major brain defect and i think it was in part due to all the tuna i ate during my preg...sometimes i ate two cans a day!
it was before the info came out...
my body does not process heavy metals well (i reacted to my vax's as a child adn my doc even told my mom to leave me unvaxed from then on, i can't have mercury fillings in my teeth)
i think it (just like any other reaction to any toxin)
depends on you adn your body adn your baby's body's abitlity to detox toxins from your system that you come into contact with...
so better safe than sorry and let intuition guide you...
btu i do not think it is correct to say it is ok for all preg women to eat tuna a couple times a week
i know for a fact it is not ok for me to.
#7 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 08:24 PM

I also crave tuna much more than usual now that I'm pg. I allow myself to have it a couple of times a week. As far as I'm concerned everything in moderation is okay.

Nicole
#8 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 PM

Stick with the chunk lite tuna if you "have' to have it. I know for myself I've been having cravings for it as well : on toast w/ pickles....
#9 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 09:50 PM

yep i have also been craving tuna....it sucks but i hope it will go away soon.

try some deviled ham or something instead maybe?
#10 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 10:02 PM

What is it about tuna? LoL. . . when I was pregnant there was nothing I wanted more. I fantasized about tuna. Thought about it constantly. And I had been vegan for 4 years already. It was so very strange. Now I'm nursing and still every once in a while I crave it. So far, unbelievably, I've been able to resist.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#11 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 10:57 PM

I want tuna too. *pout*
#12 of 23 Old 06-23-2006, 11:06 PM

There have been new recent studies that tuna is NOT ok while pregnant. Two weeks ago my midwife told me about it and then there was an article on consumer reports about it. New studies say even light tuna has too much mercury. Pregnant women should completely avoid it and children should be very limited as to how much they eat.
I had been having tuna sandwiches once a week until I heard this. In this case I don't think moderation is ok.
#13 of 23 Old 06-24-2006, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty
There have been new recent studies that tuna is NOT ok while pregnant. Two weeks ago my midwife told me about it and then there was an article on consumer reports about it. New studies say even light tuna has too much mercury. Pregnant women should completely avoid it and children should be very limited as to how much they eat.
I had been having tuna sandwiches once a week until I heard this. In this case I don't think moderation is ok.
: I was SO sad when I heard this a few weeks ago! I LOVE tuna, and usually had it once a week or so... luckily I don't have much longer to go (2 weeks tops) but I SO want a tuna sandwich right now

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
#14 of 23 Old 06-24-2006, 04:37 AM

Try canned salmon

Make it up like you make up tuna salad, slightly different taste, but same texture 'experience' and all the great Omega 3's!!

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
#15 of 23 Old 06-24-2006, 04:59 AM

I've heard rumors that albacore tuna is slighly better than regular tuna? Truth?

I craved tuna my last pg. I ate it about once every two weeks (just a thin sandwich). I wanted it 2-3x a day though!
#16 of 23 Old 06-25-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp02
I've heard rumors that albacore tuna is slighly better than regular tuna? Truth?

I craved tuna my last pg. I ate it about once every two weeks (just a thin sandwich). I wanted it 2-3x a day though!
Actually, the opposite is true. The albacore tuna is an older, more mature and bigger fish and has therefore had more time to accumulate toxins.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#17 of 23 Old 06-25-2006, 08:51 PM

If you are craving tuna - it is probably because your body needs all of the wonderful things tuna contains (except mercury!). Why don't you try to eat other fish and see if that helps. Pregnant women in many cultures eat a lot of fish during pregnancy - it has so many vital nutrients that women and babies need.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#18 of 23 Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 PM

You CAN have other kinds of fish in a salad like tuna salad. Just bake it, chill it, and flake it with a fork and use it like cold tuna.
#19 of 23 Old 06-27-2006, 11:08 AM

if you are not against eating soy, there is a vegetarian tuna called "tuno" that is good. i had the kind in the can a few years ago, and it was NASTY. it was all oily and just gross. i reluctantly tried the frozen kind, and it is MUCH better and tastes a lot like what i remember real tuna tasting like.
http://www.kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/bran...419&company=41
#20 of 23 Old 06-27-2006, 08:53 PM

Just for the record...

This was the sort of conventional wisdom prior to the Consumer Reports announcement:
http://www.epa.gov/ost/fishadvice/advice.html

This is the Consumer Reports announcement:
http://www.consumerreports.org:80/cr...earchTerm=tuna

Decide for yourself, mamas!

(Me, I crave tuna daily and have decided to eat it no more than once weekly. I respect Consumer Reports, but this decision is up to me! I get exasperated being told what and what not to do all the time as a pregnant mama )

Mimi :yawning: the happy mama of one DD & one DS ; married to my sweetie.
#21 of 23 Old 06-28-2006, 01:04 AM

Print out this wallet card and put it in your bag/wallet:

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/m...walletcard.pdf

It tells you at a glance what you need to know about what fish you can eat while pregnant/nursing.

**Does anyone know if Whole Foods or somewhere sells low-mercury tuna?**
#22 of 23 Old 06-28-2006, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! I can't believe that all you other mamas are in the tuna-craving boat with me! I've decided to allow myself a little bit of it, maybe once a week. I'm also going to try making a salmon salad sandwich today.

The soy substitute looks good, but unfortunately I'm gluten intolerant, and the label says it contains wheat

All this talk has me thinking of a tuna melt...and it's only 9:30 in the morning!
#23 of 23 Old 06-28-2006, 11:22 AM

I'm going to try to post the link to Consumer Reports again, since I couldn't use Mimi37's link:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/f...=tuna%20safety

Maybe that still won't work. If not, go to:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm
And then search "tuna safety." Click on the 7/06 article.

One of the scary things it said is that chunk light tuna can contain as much mercury or MORE than albacore. It is because sometimes yellowfin tuna ends up in cans of chunk light tuna. Yes, it's only 6% of the cans of chunk light, but those cans sometimes have twice the mercury of albacore. Yeesh!

I think I'm swearing off tuna for this pregnancy and for dd until she's at least 45 pounds. I totally hear you on the cravings, but I just cannot justify it. Salmon, here I come...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page