Have your ultrasound results ever been wrong in determining your babies sex? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Have your ultrasound results been wrong re: sex of the baby?
Yes 9 20.93%
No 34 79.07%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2003, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curiouse.

I had a girlfriend who had two kids about 13 years ago. Both ultrasounds for each were wrong re: sex of the baby. What a surprise at the end!

I'm not crazy about ultrasound, but b/c of my age I'm going to get a skeletal US at 18 weeks. I'm tempted to find out the sex, but want them to be 100% positive and no surprises!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2003, 10:42 PM

My stepson was supposed to be a girl. My dh says he had the tech whisper into his ear, because mama didn't want to have the suprise spoiled. Turns out, she was the only one not suprised!
Old 03-13-2003, 12:07 AM

My friend's sister was told she was having a boy. She was upset because she didn't want to know the sex but the tech told her by mistake. Turns out he was wrong, she was definately a girl!

Old 03-13-2003, 01:10 AM

So far, so good. They accurately guessed dd as a girl (those three lines were there!) and they said this is a boy. We caught a glimpse of an appendage (a wee-wee) but she didn't record it on the video.

A friend of mine was told she was pregnant with a girl and out came a boy!
Old 03-13-2003, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

For those of you whose ultrasounds were wrong, how long ago did this happen?

I'm just wondering if the technology is better (more accurate) now than it was years ago, therefore room for error is minimal.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:51 AM
Banned

I had an ultrasound several weeks ago, and the nurse who took me down there told me that when his wife was pregnant, they were told it was going to be a boy. When it came out, it most definitely was a girl. He said he was in the delivery room and the doctor said 'it's a girl!' and he's on video saying 'what?'
I would like to find out via ultrasound, but I realize it won't be one hundred percent accurate.
And, Domestic Goddess, he said his daughter was born three years ago, so if that helps at all.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:28 AM

A friend of a friend was told she was having a boy, and SURPRISE -- it was TWIN GIRLS! Turns out that one was behind the other and the finger of one was positioned like a little penis. So, mistakes do happen! (can you imagine?!?!?!)
Old 03-13-2003, 05:52 AM

when I was 13 my mom got pregnant. She had an ultrasound and was told it was a girl. She had a HUGE baby shower and recieved enough pink and dresses for 2 girls. I don't think she got anything neutral colored, all pink!

It was a boy. She had to talk back bags and bags of clothes.

When I was pregnant with # 3 and had a ultrasound, I was told a boy. I was hoping it was incorrect and get suprised with a girl. But nope, i'm a mama of 3 boys
Old 03-13-2003, 06:11 AM

We really saw a penis. But now y'all got me a bit insecured
Old 03-13-2003, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Domestic Goddess
For those of you whose ultrasounds were wrong, how long ago did this happen?

I'm just wondering if the technology is better (more accurate) now than it was years ago, therefore room for error is minimal.
My friend who had the boy that was supposed to be a girl had her baby in October '99.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:28 PM

Our neighbors painted the room blue and yellow for little "Justin" because the US tech told them she had only been wrong twice in her 20 year career. "JUSTINE" was born in 2000, I guess everyone can make mistakes right?

I didn't want to know with DS but this time felt like I needed to know if it was a second boy to prepare myself (#1 is very active). Well the little sweetie was asleep for the organ count but was so active by the time he got to that end all the tech ever saw was a blur of flying feet. I am curios about "the three lines". Can you see something similar to that on a boy? I swear I saw 3 lines when the tech was getting more jelly but by the time he turned around it was dancing time again.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:10 PM

Oh sure put a little hope in my head they're wrong and I'm actually having a girl - lol.

Actually I have a great ultrasound photo of this babe with his legs spread wide apart and there is definately something poking out from between them - so I believe it is a boy.

We found out with the other two as well and they were right - two boys! Actually during the first five minutes of my ultrasound with ds#2 the tech said, "It's a girl!" and my dh and I cheered we were so happy to be having one boy and one girl. A few minutes later she says, "Oops, your girl seems to have a penis!"

I think that it's harder to tell a girl on an ultrasound b/c you just might not be seeing the penis - but usually when they see a penis it's not there imagination.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've heard of parents who were told boy only to have a girl, and parents who were told girl and had a boy. I always wonder when they say boy and it is a girl, what is it they are seeing.

I was not told the sex of my child because the u/s technician said she couldn't be positive, and she would not wager a guess if she could not be positive because she had never been wrong. She said she could be something like 80% sure, but she wouldn't tell me her guess. I figured that meant girl.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by americle
A friend of a friend was told she was having a boy, and SURPRISE -- it was TWIN GIRLS!
Now that would be a surprise! I have had a weird feeling at times that maybe I am having twins, but there is only one from what the doctor has told me.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:51 PM

My understanding is that if they tell you boy and it's a girl, what they saw was the umbilical cord floating between the legs.

Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
Old 03-14-2003, 12:26 AM

My sister had FOUR ultrasounds with different tech's - and all four said "girl".

I have a three year old NEPHEW!

Ultrasound is an inexact science, at best. It's NOT perfect, and frequently not even close. Don't rely on it for weight, size or sex ~ it's unreliable except for seeing heartbeats, imho!!!

Only amniocentisis is 100%, but it carries a 1% miscarriage rate FYI.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by madison
Ultrasound is an inexact science, at best. It's NOT perfect, and frequently not even close. Don't rely on it for weight, size or sex ~ it's unreliable except for seeing heartbeats, imho!!!
That's why I cringe when people say they were induced because of baby's size according to u/s. There's really no way to tell although I know some people say an experienced mom can guess pretty close. :

I guess I'm tired of interventions... don't know if I'll have an u/s next time around... but I do want to find out the sex at birth just one time. We found out via u/s both times and I want my way this time! :binky
Old 03-30-2003, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well I go for my skeletal 18 week US (first and last) tomorrow and if it is a clear picture, I'll have them tell me.

If there's any doubt, I don't want to know. Will keep you updated!
Old 03-30-2003, 10:18 PM

Well...

Our techs in our area said boy for both our boys.. This time i was really hoping for a girl, but nay.. A boy.. We saw the willy on the screen.. She took a shot of it.. It looked something like this..
()

Seems to me when you see 2 boulders with a flag sticking out the top it's probably a boy... We will See in July, but i also am pretty sure it's a boy...

Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:47 PM

u/s was right about DD being a girl, but way way off when it came to her weight! Doc said she'd be a really big baby, and wasn't even six pounds at birth!: (to give him credit, I did gain something like 70 lbs with that pregnancy, and looked like I was carrying twins)
Old 03-30-2003, 11:43 PM

W/ ds#2, I was told that it was a girl. I kept telling dh that I felt weird about it. Maybe the tech had uncertainty in her voice: I had an ultrasound in my ninth month and I asked the tech to check while she was looking around. My baby girl had a penis:LOL I was surprised, but happy. Some people gave me girl clothes, but I'll save them for a while in case we have a third.

If there's a next time, I won't find out the sex.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaOui
If there's a next time, I won't find out the sex.
Assuming this baby comes out a boy like they said we'll have one of each. Next time (if I can talk dh into one more) I want a surprise. We'll already have both girl and boy stuff, so we'd be prepared either way.

I like the idea looking down at my new baby and getting to yell "It's a...".
Old 03-31-2003, 04:07 AM

When I was pg with dd2, at the u/s the tech said "there's no obvious penis."

I was really hoping he was right so I wouldn't have a son with "no obvious penis!!"

banana.gif

Old 03-31-2003, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Just got back from my US exam and there is a VERY obviouse penis!

I told the tech not to tell me if it wasn't a clear pic and after a minute or two she said, your little boy is right, he's getting a baby brother.

Definitely saw the family jewels and a little penis poking up.

I'm so excited for my 3 yo ds, he's going to have a little buddy to play trucks with.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:22 PM

My sister had four ultrasounds in her first pregnancy.

Each US tech said "It's a girl!"

I have a 4 year old NEPHEW!

User Tag List