Protein powder during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on getting more protein. I'm a vegetarian and am SO sick of my usual protein sources. I love breakfast foods, so I was thinking that high protein smoothies would be good.

Is there any issue with taking protein powder during pregnancy? Are there any types to be avoided?

TIA!

Erin.

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#2 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 07:20 PM

Just read the ingredients onthe box/can... obviously watch for non-food additives, nutrasweet, etc. I was vegan for one pg and veg for another. I remember finding a soy-based protein powder that I threw in pancake batter and breads. Got it at the health food store...

Here are other suggestions:
Whole wheat spaghetti with veggie balls (love "Veggie Patch" brand)
Quiche. Enough said, so yummy.
Stir fry tofu with peanut sauce and broccoli on WW noodles or brown rice.
Smoothies with yogurt, oj, frozen strawberries, frozen raspberries
veggie burgers with salsa and cheese, or punder the broiler with tomato sauce and cheese...

good luck!
#3 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 PM

I was in your boat last year... I had a protein smoothie each morning with OJ, flax seed oil and frozen blackberries. The powder I used is called Super-Green from Nature's Life. It has 25 gms soy protein in each scoop and has no sugar or sweeteners, dairy, wheat, yeast, egg or animal by-products. I also used to eat a bowl of yogurt with honey and some granola that was high protein called Hi-Protein Crunch, it had 12 grams per serving. Yogurt and granola together = 25 gms or more protein. So before work, smoothie, for lunch, yogurt/granola, and I would eat a Clif bar for extra protein if I needed a snack during the day. That would be my protein allotment for the day. Usually I would make something yummy with tofu for dinner. I also liked making my own bean burgers since I like cooking from scratch. Hooray for vegetarians! I'm sure we eat better during pregancy than a lot of non-vegs.
Andi

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#4 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yum! Thanks for the suggestions.... I guess I was just stuck in a rut!

Quiche sounds delicious! Veggie balls too!! I'm on a big granola and yogurt kick so I'll look for the high protein variety.

Now I'm almost excited to eat dinner...

Erin.

#5 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 08:26 PM

If you do a soy protein powder, I would suggest using a fermented one, since it is much more easily assimilated by the body and contains less of the compounds in soy that are thought to be harmful, especially in pregnancy.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#6 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 09:03 PM

I just recently read an article about Preventing Complications with Nutrition which specifically states that protein powders are not a good idea:
Quote:
recent studies have shown that high protein diets without sufficient high-complex carbohydrates can cause women to lose weight at a time when they should be gaining in order to build a baby (Kramer 2003c; Kramer 2003d). These studies are misinterpreted as indicating that too much protein is bad for women (Kramer 2003b; McKeown 2001). The major problem with these studies was that the women used powdered protein supplements, not dietary-food sources, and left out complex carbohydrates, fruits, vegetables, dairy, nuts, beans, seeds, salt, etc. It was not a complete diet. What the studies really told us is that protein supplements don't work. In order to supply the pregnant body with what it needs, dietary protein, along with high-complex carbohydrates and all the other nutrients, needs to come from real food (Kramer 2003b).
I like to eat raw nuts and nut butters for snacks, eat eggs (as an ova-lacto veggie) and yogurt smoothies for breakfast (I put spirulina in mine as well or raw kale these days), and lots of bean soups and lentils (there's a million and a half varieties of these, I'm sure you know) for dinner. I also eat quiche and tofu quite a bit as well.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#7 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Sigh - I just came back with my bottle of (hemp based) protein powder!

Thanks for the link, Anna Kiss... It's an interesting read and makes a lot of sense.

Now it's just a matter of getting the energy and imagination to put this all to work!

Erin

#8 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 11:54 PM

I think the issue with protein powders is like what annakiss posted...my m/w was concerned that I not replace meals with things like protein smoothies. In other words, it's fine to have a smoothie WITH breakfast, but you should have something else with it to build up calories and nutritional content. Never been a problem for me since a smoothie doesn't fill me up anyway, no matter what I put in it!

We eat a lot of oatmeal and bananas around here. It's not full of protein but still good for you and DD LOVES it so it's easy to make one thing. I try to have a yogurt or some veggie sausage too.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#9 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 07:30 AM

After reading this site: http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfo...y-secrets.html
I will NEVER put protein powder into my body ever again.: :
I believe in natural diet, not processed food diet.
#10 of 13 Old 07-07-2006, 11:25 PM

I am a vegetarian as well and while pregnant last year and earlier this year I used protein powder from a natural food store. I use to get a loy of headaches and the extra protein helped. I used the powder on anything I could think of. It was chocolate flavored so I used it with milk, as an ice cream topping, in smoothies, etc. Results were great and my midwife was proud of me when she ran several blood exams. Also, try peanut butter and beans. It can be a little tough while pregnant and a vegetarian. You start thinking that what if you don't get all the right stuff. I'm sure you are doing great
#11 of 13 Old 07-08-2006, 05:50 PM

I used a soy protien powder last pg and would never do it again. I was getting way too much protein and I think it contributed to ds growing bigger than he would have if I would have just followed a balanced diet and gotten my protien from my foods. He was massive and weighed 12lbs. And after reading lots of iffy things about soy, I would go for anything but soy powder if you're going to supplement.
There are counters online where you can enter the exact foods you eat for a day (say, 1.5c Silk soymilk, etc.) and see exactly how much protein etc. you're getting. It might surprise you! If you'd like a link just lmk. It's pretty cool.
#12 of 13 Old 07-08-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom
I used a soy protien powder last pg and would never do it again. I was getting way too much protein and I think it contributed to ds growing bigger than he would have if I would have just followed a balanced diet and gotten my protien from my foods. He was massive and weighed 12lbs. And after reading lots of iffy things about soy, I would go for anything but soy powder if you're going to supplement.
There are counters online where you can enter the exact foods you eat for a day (say, 1.5c Silk soymilk, etc.) and see exactly how much protein etc. you're getting. It might surprise you! If you'd like a link just lmk. It's pretty cool.
I'd love to see that link if I can!
#13 of 13 Old 07-08-2006, 09:09 PM

:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page