Prenatal exercises? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-17-2003, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I'm 17 weeks along with #2 and just don't feel like I'm half as strong / toned / fit as I was when pregnant with Isaiah.

What exercises do you all recommend that may help out. I haven't tried yoga (maybe once or twice but not regularly)

Anyways, I really want to build up my endurance & strength before I have to go through labor again!

Any suggestions?

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#2 of 12 Old 03-17-2003, 09:21 PM

Prenatal Yoga is great! Also, walking is also a quick, cheap and easy way to stregthen.

I'm at 36 wks. and am still walking and doing step-aerobics during the week and occasionally yoga. Just be careful about starting slow and not overdoing it. Remember, those ligaments are REALLY stretchy during pregnancy and you don't want to strain something.

Good luck~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#3 of 12 Old 03-17-2003, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just do walking and some light strength training with some free weights and an exercise ball.
#4 of 12 Old 03-17-2003, 11:23 PM

Hi! I didn't exercise my first pg and have/am this pregnancy and there's just no comparison! I work out at Curves three days/week- it's a 35 minute workout that's 1/2 aerobics and 1/2 strength training.

Before starting a new exercise program (other than walking I guess) I would talk to your midwife or OB. I definitely recommend whatever program works for you!

GL!
#5 of 12 Old 03-18-2003, 04:21 AM

Another vote for prenatal yoga and walking...
#6 of 12 Old 03-18-2003, 12:50 PM

To those doing prenatal yoga, did you use a video or take a class? They classes here are very expensive...
#7 of 12 Old 03-18-2003, 01:02 PM

I have a video to do at home.

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#8 of 12 Old 03-18-2003, 01:36 PM

Prenatal Yoga and walking here...
I go to yoga class 1/week,and use a video time to time...
#9 of 12 Old 03-18-2003, 06:29 PM

I belong to a gym and do yoga there and step classes. It is the only way I get my exercise in because they have childcare there for my ds.
#10 of 12 Old 03-23-2003, 03:02 PM

I would definitely recommend yoga, at home or at a gym. It's nice to be with other moms though! How about swimming? Our Y has a pregnancy class, haven't tried it yet, all those bellies floating around, should be fun!
#11 of 12 Old 03-24-2003, 05:38 PM

I recommend Elizabeth Noble's Essential Exercies for the Childbearing Year, which includes both prenatal and postpartum exercises.

Yoga has been one of the high points of pregnancy for me. I take a class once a week with a woman who use to be a childbirth educator and PLA. But in general women should seek out prenatal yoga classes or otherwise specialized classes (women's yoga) to address yr needs as a "preg-ling", as my godmother calls me. If you don't have a good yoga center nearby, I like Shiva Rea's Prenatal Yoga video, which is part of the Yoga Journal series.

For aerobic exercise, I love swimming, tho I don't go to the pool as often as I wd like. If you want to get in shape, also check out water aerobics--it's a great workout but gentle enough on the bod for pregnancy. And whenever I can, I walk briskly outside--careful not to bounce the baby, but fast enough to get some aerobic benefit.

A friend really enjoyed cycling throughout her pregnancy. She said she rode her bicycle earlier on the very day that she gave birth! I'm more of a klutz and would worry about falling down, so I might stick to a stationary bike.
#12 of 12 Old 03-28-2003, 01:07 PM

WALKING - The Spring 2003 issue of Midwifery Today Magazine is about TEAR PREVENTION. Here is one excerpt:
What If? Tearing, Stitching and Pelvic (pg. 24)
by Jennifer Rosenberg
Spring 2003
Issue 65
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/

"WALKING FOR A HEALTHY PELVIC FLOOR
I have done Kegel exercises since I was 12 yrs old. Since then, I have been told that if those don't help, nothing would improve my pelvic floor except surgery. But no amount of kegel exercises has done for my perineum what a simple 10-30 minute strole each evening has done. At a Midwifery Today conference, a Mexican midwife told us that when she practiced in the hills of Mexico, where women ate very simple diets and walked everywhere, she saw no tearing. Other Mexican midwives confirmed this. But when she moved to the city, women there tore regularly, despite the often more nutritionally rich diets. They rarely walked very far."

I'll definitely be walking! I had a 2nd degree vaginal/3rd degree perineum (to my anus) tear first time. That won't be happening again.

Edited to add: I think this issue is worth getting a back copy of. Info on Sitz Baths, etc..

Prenatal Yoga
I highly recommend a prenatal yoga class. I loved my class. Great way to exercise your entire body in a slow, gentle way. One con of using a video exclusively is that you don't have anyone in person to correct you if you are doing something wrong. Mix it up if you can.

Maternal Fitness Abdominal Program
Ever heard of Maternal Fitness? It's a studio in NYC, the program was designed by an RN... she focuses on teaching women to stregthen their abdominals. Membership to join her gym is ridiculous. I am in California. I saw this on a CBS morning segment, so I ordered her $60 DVD (I'm a visual person, I need the DVD) and have her book. I'll defnitely be using it. At least borrow the book from your library to look it over.
http://www.maternalfitness.com/

Biking
I look forward to doing this during my pg. I have a bike trailer for my 3 yr old. Hopefully I can do it till the very end without my DH having a heart attack (me biking near traffic.)

10 - boy
5.5 - girl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page