Possible kidney problem shown in ultrasound - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to get some opinions. I had a follow up ultrasound on Tuesday. My MW called me today to say the report showed "extrarenal pelvis bilateral" and that they wanted me to get a level II ultrasound done at the Children's Hospital. My MW wasn't familiar with it (other than she thought it meant extra kidneys) and had not come across it before. Anyone familiar with this and what the outcome could mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytojam
I just wanted to get some opinions. I had a follow up ultrasound on Tuesday. My MW called me today to say the report showed "extrarenal pelvis bilateral" and that they wanted me to get a level II ultrasound done at the Children's Hospital. My MW wasn't familiar with it (other than she thought it meant extra kidneys) and had not come across it before. Anyone familiar with this and what the outcome could mean?
It does NOT mean that your baby has extra kidneys. The renal pelvis is where the urine collects (like a waiting area) in the kidney before passing through to the bladder. In most folks, the renal pelvis is contained within the main mass of the kidney itself. In others the renal pelvis forms outside the main mass of the kidney. The "bilateral" simply means that the condition is effecting both sides of the kidney. It is usually considered a normal variation of the human anatomy when discovered in adults, nothing to be at all concerned about. I'm not sure what the issues are when found on prenatal ultrasounds, as some kidney issues can be soft markers for other conditions. Your perinatologist will go over all of that with you when you have your level II u/s.

I came accross most of this info after ds#1 was diagnosed with bilateral pylectasis (dialation of the uretors that connect the renal pelvis to the bladder--it means that urine can get backed up in the kidney) in utero. A lot of kidney issues are all lumped together when you are researching stuff online, and I learned all I could on all kidney function. I'll ask my sis (she's a 4th year med student and just finished a couple of specialized rotations in prenatal medicine) if she knows anything more on your subject.

Try not to stress too much (I know, easier said than done!) because many kidney issues clear up on their own (as our son's did) or are just "watched" and kept an eye on. My (barely educated ) guess is that the peri will just check to make sure your baby doesn't have any other issues and send you on your way--after booking a "follow-up" to help pay off his new sportscar (my peri jokes that in-utero kidney issues are what cover the payments on her husband's new boat ). Best of luck to you and your little one. Try to just relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!
#3 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Is this the same as hydronephrosis or is it a cause to hydronephrosis?
#4 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 04:06 PM

No, but they are often confused.
#5 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 04:13 PM

Hydronephrosis is what the actual "back up" of the kidney is called. For example, my son's pylectasis (dialated uretors) caused hydonephrosis because the urine was slowed from being released into his bladder. Hydronephrosis causes an enlargement of the renal pelvis because of the backed up urine collecting there.
#6 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytojam
Is this the same as hydronephrosis or is it a cause to hydronephrosis?
Sorry, I didn't read your question thoroughly. It is not the same, and I'm not sure if it can cause hydronephrosis. My guess is that it can cause it, but I don't really know anything more about your specific condition--I just remember coming accross some info on it while researching our own kidney problems. I'll ask my sis when she calls me back.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page