Boppy or "My Breast Friend" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All my friends have only used the boppy for nursing and I know it is nice for the baby as they learn to sit up, but what about the "My breast Friend" pillow. It looks so much better, with back support and all. Any recommendations?
#2 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 02:35 PM

Here's what I know -
The boppy didn't work for us. It was too small. (I'm not a tiny person)
The brest friend - I'm not sure if I had this or not. Someone gave me one to borrow and I don't know what brand it was. I didn't care for it. It had a strap w/ velcro and it got in my way more often than not. I didn't use it much.

Instead, one of the nurses at the hospital makes something similar. We had her make us one and we loved it.
My SIL figured out how to make them and has made herself a second one.

HTH
#3 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 03:01 PM

I had the boppy and didn't like it, I'm fairly small, but this pillow just didn't work. I needed more support on the side that I was nursing ds on and less for his body/legs. I ended up using a regular pillow and I could easily fold it over for the support I needed and move it around to fit any nursing position (like football hold.)

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#4 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think it's just a personal preference thing. I have both, but never actually tried the My Breast Friend once baby was here... I just didn't feel like dealing with the velcro strap and such, but I will probably give a shot this time around and see if I like it, since I have it and all.

The Boppy *barely* fit around me, and I'm not huge or anything... just a bit overweight (and I'm tall). I also had a homemade big mama version that a friend of mine gave me. My DH usually used that one for naps.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 03:45 PM

I never really used mine easier. It just got in my way and nursing my dd was hard enough without fiddling! Eventually we got the hang of things and when I did try to use it again, I just didn't need it. I had a friend that used her's on a fairly regular basis, but I think it something you either love or hate!
#6 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 05:41 PM

I love my boppy. It worked well for me when the baby is small. Later, it's nice for tummy time and learning to sit. I didn't use it for breastfeeding beyond the first month, so it was nice to have something that has more than one use. I think if I could only use it for nursing, it would feel like a waste of money to me.
#7 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 06:09 PM

I really love my boppy. I never used my breast friend, but my friend had both and prefered the my breast friend in the beginning, but didn't really use it much after that...
#8 of 21 Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 PM

For whatever it's worth, I just took a breastfeeding class, and the midwife/lactation consultant who taught it basically called the boppy a "piece of junk" (because of the way it leaves a trough/dip along your belly at the edge of the pillow). She highly recommended "my brest friend".

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#9 of 21 Old 07-15-2006, 12:23 AM

Also, Boppy supports/works with formula companies. It actually wasn't created for breastfeeding use, but for baby propping for tummy/reclining time. The breastfeeding thing was an aftermarket discovery. There was a thread in lactivism a while ago about it.
#10 of 21 Old 07-15-2006, 12:34 AM

I didn't like either one. The boppy was too small (i"m average size) and the Breastfriend had the velcro that made a loud sound sound when I took it off which woke my hard-to-get-to-sleep baby. I preferred regular pillows.
#11 of 21 Old 07-15-2006, 02:05 AM

I hated the Boppy and found that regular pillows worked just fine. Whenever the topic comes up in my mother's group the gal's who tried the MBF much preferd it to the Boppy.
#12 of 21 Old 07-15-2006, 02:26 AM

I loved My Breast Friend!!! I was always forgetting something when I sat down to nurse my newborn. I could stand up and grab whatever without the pillow falling or having to disturb the baby.

Get them both, take good care of them (save the MBF packaging) and resell if either doesn't work for you, but I would give MBF a try!!!

Good luck!!!
#13 of 21 Old 07-15-2006, 08:51 AM

I have both and no doubt, hands down, prefer the My Breast Friend pillow!! So much more of a natural fit!
#14 of 21 Old 07-15-2006, 12:27 PM

Another vote for My Breast Friend. The boppy is pretty useless to me without having additional pillows to prop the ends, so what's the point? MBF has a very short time of use for us - I think I may have even stopped using it by 3 or 4 months, but anything that makes the newborn nursing time easier has my vote.

I would personally try to get a used one though - the news ones off-gas horribly for a while and need to be aired out thoroughly before use IMO. Easier just to get a used one that's had some time do this.
#15 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 04:29 PM

Another vote here for the Boppy! I loved mine and used it for breastfeeding and for DD for tummy time and when she was learning to sit up. I never tried the other, so I don't have anything to compare it with.
#16 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 04:56 PM

I had both. I didnt' use either one very much. The Boppy was much worse. I'm taller than average (5'11") and both pillows were too short for me. I had the newer version of my breast friend. It had a buckle instead of velcro so it wasn't loud when removing it. It was better than the Boppy, but it was still too short.

The only thing the Boppy was good for was sitting on when I had stitches.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#17 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 05:46 PM

I preferred the boppy because I didn't have to deal with the velcro strap. But we didn't use it for too long at all (maybe 2 months).
#18 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 PM

I will *whisperwhisper* buy myself the outrageously expensive theraline breastfeeding, ( or maternity pillow as they're called in the U.S. after the recall) pillow. I have a boppy here and while it's good for MY head support I doubt it will come in any handy with a baby. Too tight to put around me, too unflexible, just like a big travel pillow.

my .2 $

Oh and STRAPS are not something I want to be dealing with when I have a floppy infant :
#19 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 07:05 PM

I have never tried a Boppy, but I had a Brest Friend pillow with DS. I didn't like it at all. It was very uncomfortable and the velcro was a pain. It didn't really let me lean back and relax while nursing him either. I only used it a couple of times and ended up just using a good old regular pillow.

~Erika, wife to Nate / Mom to Nathan, Emily, and Joshua
#20 of 21 Old 07-20-2006, 09:25 AM

I love my boppy-style pillows. I keep one at the ILs, and one at my mom's place too - I cannot be without them !

I had a MBF pillow and it caused me so much back pain it wasn't funny. I tried it for about a week, thinking it would get better once I got used to it, but that thing nearly had me in tears every time I used it.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#21 of 21 Old 07-21-2006, 07:55 PM

I had a boppy and I used it pretty regularly in the beginning. I did have to prop the ends up with a pillow, or cross my leg in a way to keep the end up. It got more difficult and more uncomfortable as dd got bigger. But it did help.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page