Double Stroller: Worth it?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd will be 2 3/4 when this dd arrives. I'm trying to decide if I should get a double stroller.

I will probably be using it primarily for taking walks (for exercise when I wouldn't want older dd to just slowly stroll on her own-she is still willing to sit in stroller when I walk) or outdoor events where there is alot of walking (assuming I can find the time!!!). I'm not a mall shopper or much of a store shopper at all (other than groceries), so I was thinking of a jogging/side by side style. I know the front back styles can be difficult to manuever.

For those of you who have 2 children (similar age range if possible), is it worth the cost? Any recommendations on brand/style???

Thanks. I'm trying to buy used and if one comes available I want to be ready to snap it up!!!!
#2 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd will be about 26 months when dc2 arrives and I wouldn't buy another big stroller. We were given a travel system and the stroller is so cumbersome and hard to turn. We use an umbrella stroller when we need it and I plan on wearing the new baby. So much easier to keep a close eye on the baby when they're strapped to your chest

I guess i'm not much help except to say consider getting a good sling for the new babe... especially since you'll be chasing your toddler anyway
#3 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 12:46 PM

It's not worth it to me. I did buy a Jeep double stroller for 40 bucks at a garage sale, but I wouldn't spen dmore than that. It rarely gets used.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 12:56 PM

Nope, I don't think you should. I hate mine, too bulky and heavy and hard to manuver.

What I will do and have done in the past (there is 3 years between DD1&2 and will be 4 between DD2 & 3) is if I want to go for a walk (as opposed to a toddler stroll LOL) is put the younger one in the backpack carrier (assuming they are old enough for it) or a sling and push the older one in a lightweight stroller. DDs and I did this all last summer and it worked out great, much easier

Heather
#5 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've been having similar thoughts though DD is younger. She will be 2 and 3 months when the new one arrives. She is quite a good walker but I'm not sure I can cope with her slow pace once the winter arrives.

From the people I've asked it seems to depend how much you use a stroller to start with.Those who use it lots all said yes it's a must, those who uise slings more were more divided although many people still said they liked it for days out and to carry stuff. Lots of people recomended the boards to attach to the back of a single pushchair.

We decided to look round for a bargin and found an older model maclaren, it has a nice high handle and fits through doorways. It's not turning out to be as easy to get a new raincover as I though it would be though. Something to think about if buying used.
#6 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 01:19 PM

#7 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 01:29 PM

They are worth it, IMO, if you are going to be walking for exercise. Where you need to walk briskly without stopping to chase a toddler every two seconds. They're also useful for one the baby gets too big to be worn for extended periods and when you're going to be out most of the day -- say, going to a festival. We have the Kiwi e3, which converts from a single to a double stroller, and is extremely easy to maneuver. Another recommendation is for a Valco Runabout with a toddler seat. Here's my stroller: http://www.letsgostrolling.com/catal...Fcategory%3D35

I ordered from www.letsgostrolling.com -- great customer service. Bottom line -- it's worth it if you can spend the money to get a quality stroller. The cheaper strollers are very hard to steer and maneuver.
#8 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena

From the people I've asked it seems to depend how much you use a stroller to start with.Those who use it lots all said yes it's a must, those who uise slings more were more divided although many people still said they liked it for days out and to carry stuff.
That's the only thing we ever really use the bulky stroller for: carrying things. I use it when I walk with dd to the grocery store because it has that area underneath that I can put my groceries into But I definately don't like it for carrying dd.
#9 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 01:52 PM

Yes!! I think that it is worth it. I reccomend the BabyTrend stroller that has a seat in front and a place for an older child to either sit or stand in the back. My five year old can still fit in the back and my two-year old sits in the front. I have gone through a bunch of double strollers, (side by side are too big and akward) this is the only one that I liked. It is easy to manuver and easy to let an older child hop in and out of in the back. This is one like mine but mine is an older model and it was a hand me down from a cousin so I got lucky!
http://www.travelingtikes.com/cgi-lo...29f+1153848373
#10 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 02:42 PM

My ds was 19 months old when dd was born. I absolutely thought it a necessity to have one and boy, did it come in handy for trips to the mall, walking track, and well-baby visits. I had many gift certificates to a baby store so I came out cheap. I would try to find one on craigs list or a local mom's list to save money.

Mandy
#11 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't plan to get one, but part of that is because I so rarely use a stroller anymore. I can't remember the last time I used one, actually! DS walks, so I make him walk most places. If it were a nice temp to walk outside (it's too hot now), I could put him in the jogging stroller and walk around our pastures, but if I want to do that with baby, I can still put DS in the jogging stroller and just put baby in the sling. DS will be just shy of 2.5 when baby comes. I figure when baby gets too big to sling it (I have a bad back), I'll just make DS walk. Since we walk inside our pastures, I'm not too worried about chasing him. He's well fenced.

For places like the mall... they usually have strollers you can use. Grocery shopping - I use the shopping carts. Pretty much, I just never use a stroller. So I don't see myself needing a double stroller.

So I agree with a PP - depends on how much you use one now. If you use it all the time, then it's probably worth it. If you never use it, it's probably not!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#12 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 05:02 PM

I've got my money's worth out of my side by side double jogging stroller. I use it for walks/exercise. I have never used it shopping or anything like that, except once at the zoo and even then the kids walked or were carried mostly. My kid's have always enjoyed their time in the stroller and watching the world go by them. Mine is the dreamer design and I got it from baby phases but they also sell it at joggingstroller.com
#13 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 05:24 PM

My DDs are only 16 months apart and I didn't get a double stroller. I was always wearing one of them so to have two seats really seemed silly.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#14 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 PM

Yes - I love mine! I have a side by side double jogger with a swivel front wheel (very important). It's this one:
InStep Safari Double
I love it and recommend it highly!

My kids are almost two and just over 5. We use the stroller every day - walking around the neighborhood, museums, parks, shopping, everything.
#15 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsElle07
They are worth it, IMO, if you are going to be walking for exercise. Where you need to walk briskly without stopping to chase a toddler every two seconds. They're also useful for one the baby gets too big to be worn for extended periods and when you're going to be out most of the day -- say, going to a festival.
My main objective is exercise (since it seems walking is the only kind I get or can motivate myself to do!) and as you said, all or long day situations like faires or festivals. My 2 1/2 yr old still sits beautifully in her stroller on our morning walks and I would think she would enjoy sitting next to her baby sister too. I LOVE wearing my babies (slings/packs/etc) but I tend to have BIG babies and I just can't see carrying one and pushing the other as being all that comfortable for those situations (maybe I'm wrong).

Since I really don't need anything for baby other than a few big items (dresser/carseat for when she is older) I'm thinking if friends/family wanted to pitch in for a large gift, this could be a possiblity. Still thinking about it though and looking for recommendations on the ones people loved!!!
#16 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 08:01 PM

I tried wearing one and pushing the other (twins) but it just did not work for me, no matter what stroller OR carrier I used.

So yes, for us a double stroller was worth it. We bought ours used for about $50 (Graco DuoGlider) and it's been in use by us or another family for 5+ years and still going strong.
#17 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink
Yes - I love mine! I have a side by side double jogger with a swivel front wheel (very important). It's this one:
InStep Safari Double
I love it and recommend it highly!

My kids are almost two and just over 5. We use the stroller every day - walking around the neighborhood, museums, parks, shopping, everything.
Yes! I wish I had gotten the swivel wheel. It's a lot more work pushing my two kiddos while pregnant and the swivel would have helped tons.
#18 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 PM

Most everywhere I go with DD, I also go with my sister and her 2 dd. The older 2 are both 4, my sister's younger is 1. My dd will walk quite a bit but her cousin tires easily and will not - and if she's being carried or riding in a stroller my dd *must* too. So we carry one and 2 ride is how we mostly do it. A double stroller has been pretty essential for all the walking intensive activites we like to do with them - shopping, festivals, zoos, city stuff, parks etc. When the 2 girls were smaller we used a combi travel savvy. It wasn't very tall, and not the easiest to manuever with heavy girls, I thought. But - SUPER light, folding very compactly, with a great carry strap and seats that weren't too narrow. With the girls at and over 40 lbs, my sister moved up to a mountain buggy urban double http://www.juststrollers.com/product.asp?3=330 And it's price tag is obscene, but not having had to pay for it, I *love* this stroller. It's a great height; it pushes and manuevers like a dream (considering it's a double stroller with over 80lbs in it,) and on different types of terrain too. I spent the first 15 mintues with it just going in circles, marveling, lol. On the downside, it is not compact and easily portable. I wouldn't wanna haul this one on and off the subway, lol. But it does fold easy. We looked at the valco's too. They fold somewhat more comapctly, but are slightly heavier. I think this is a great group for finding the right stroller : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/strollerswap/
#19 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 10:44 PM

For exercise purposes, I would get one. I highly recommend the Mountain Buggy Urban Double. It is a dream. It is definitely $$$, but it will have a great resale value when you're done with it, and your older dd will not outgrow it before you outgrow wanting to push her in it, lol (We had the Instep Safari TT double jogger swivel, and my boys outgrew it before they were 3, and it was too short for me). Because I have twins, I often wore one and pushed one, or wore both of them, when walking around town, etc. (didn't stop double-slinging them until they were 2.5), but it is not condusive to *exercise* the way that pushing a double jogging stroller is. For me, walking with my kids is my only way to get exercise (no time for the gym or what have you), so it's pretty important to me to be able to put them in the stroller and GO. I still use our MBUD, and my boys are 3.5. Now I even use it around town sometimes when we're getting close to lunch/nap time and my boys are not their most agreeable selves. When I am out and about with just one of them, I've never felt the need for a stroller at all (so excited to have just one baby this time around!!!). But two kids are a completely different story. If you are already using a stroller a fair amount with just one kid, I think you will probably get a lot of use out of a double.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#20 of 25 Old 07-24-2006, 10:56 PM

My first two are 3 years and 5 days apart, we bought a double stroller when they were 2 months shy of being 4 and 1, for a vacation to see the big Mouse. I loved it and never regretted it. We used a few times after the trip for mall visits and such. We didn't use it as much as we thought, however, we bought it knowing that we would have more children, and hopefully the second and third would be a little closer in age. As luck would have it, we are blessed to be expecting a baby in March '07, meaning the second and third will only be 2 yrs 2 months apart, so I anticipate using it more with these two than I did with the first two.

So, in closing, I would recommend getting a double stroller, especially if NOT having one would prevent or limit how much walking you would do. Maybe buy a cheap used one and see how it goes before buying a real nice one? (For what it's worth, we love the Graco DuoGlider LXI

Hope this helps!
#21 of 25 Old 07-25-2006, 02:48 PM

I hated the big bulky double stroller we had, but LOVE our double umbrella stroller. It's not too heavy to get in and out of the car and folds up pretty small. We got it at Target almost 3 years ago for $50. I haven't seen them there in a while, but haven't looked that hard either.

They also make those things you can use to attach 2 regular umbrella strollers to each other to make it a double. Haven't tried that but it looks like an inexpensive option.
#22 of 25 Old 07-25-2006, 03:07 PM

We got the Eddie Bauer in-line double when ds was 2 and I was pregnant. We still use it and ds is now 5 and dd is almost 3. With another on the way I have to say it has been a worthwhile thing to have. However, it is pricey and very heavy. Once it is up it is very easy to push. Try and find one that allows the heaviest child to sit in the back, mine has ds sitting in the front and it can get hard to steer.

I say worth it but heavy. Maybe a side by side would work better?
#23 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 06:41 PM

since youre open to getting the stroller used, check out garage sales.
my uncle lives in nc and sees double and triple strollers at garage sales at really reasonable prices. actually, if they are in good condition and really inexpensive, he buys them and resells them on ebay.
if you dont have all day to be hunting at garage sales, check out the garage sale ads to see if anyone is selling baby stuff. sometimes they will even advertise that they are selling everything from twin babies, so if you go early enough, you could almost be guaranteed of finding a double stroller.
otherwise, check out babies r us or similar stores. last year, they had a really nice demo double stroller on clearance just beacuse it was the demo.
you might even be able to get one at freecycle.com or a kids consignment store. (i havent been to any, but i'm sure if you called around, one in the area would have one.)
#24 of 25 Old 07-30-2006, 07:27 PM

I have a Combi Twin Savvy and it got a lot of use, mostly mall, airport and zoo-type stuff but also sidewalk and path-based walks. My older kids are 2y7m apart. I'm sure I will use it when my new baby comes as well, though my DD will be 3 1/2 by then she still likes to ride some. I also like it when shopping for having a) a place to contain my oft-tantruming DS and b) a place to put my shopping! I tend to sling my babies in the early days but after awhile they get heavy and its nice to have somewhere to put the while you eat lunch or whatever while you are out.

I would make sure you get a good one though, as the cheapy ones often steer really poorly and are bulky and heavy. I like my high-end double far better than my cheapy single, because I can steer it one-handed and fold it small.

Why not wait and see when the baby is here? Keep your eye out for a steal in the meantime, but you can always get it later too if you find you'd use it.
#25 of 25 Old 08-02-2006, 01:50 PM

I've really used our double stroller a lot.
I carried my baby in a sling a lot too. Around the house, for shopping, and other errands the baby is always in the sling. But for exercise we use the stroller. I take my daughters out for a walk every morning for Mama exercise time. We have a baby jogger so it can really be used for fast walks and jogging.

Sounds like you would use one too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page