REALLY Tired Of Throwing Up! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-20-2003, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 16 weeks pregnant and still tossing my cookies on a regular basis. This is my fourth pregnancy. I have had this same problem before. It lasts throughout the entire pregnancy. I am unable to take proper care of myself or my family. My diet consists of whatever I can keep down.

I have tried all the standard advice with no success.

I am trying to find other women who have successfully dealt with this problem with the help of drugs or other treatment.

Anyone?
#2 of 13 Old 03-20-2003, 04:28 AM

Hi there. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I had severe hyperemessis with my pg. Ideas for you when you have exhausted all of the things like ginger and accupressure bands and what not:

Medical intervention:

If you are dehydrated at all and cannot stay on top of it, go in for an IV to rehydrate. I did IVs twice a week for most of pg.

Get a B complex shot from the doctor.

Oral Zofran helped for me but it is expensive so make sure your doc will prescribe it/ insurance will pay for it, but it is worth a shot.

I would stay clear of Phenergren. I didn't respond well to this medication and I don't know anyone who has.

Chiropractic:

Do muscle testing to see what would help.

Have an adjustment (can help relive nausea).

Have a NAET treatment for pregnancy horomones.

You can also try accupuncture.

BEFORE I get pregnant again I am going to do a series of liver detoxes. Are your liver enzymes elevated? This is usually associated with morning sickness. I am not sure what kind of detox you could do (if any) while pg or even tolerate being sick. I would suggest haveing a friend/loved one look at www.hyperemesis.org website for suggestions.

I am sorry.... I hope you can get some relief. I have decided when I get pg again I will have a cleaning service come in weekly to clean my toilet and home because I was basically in bed or in the hospital sick for my entire pg and ANY odor (even odors one can't normally smell) would make me throw up.

Hang in there!

Emily
#3 of 13 Old 03-20-2003, 12:34 PM

I don't know if this willbe much help, but I had Hyperemis with this pregnancy and by 9 weeks, I had lost 25 pounds and was severely dehydrated. After the saline drip at the hospital, I was put on Reglan to control the nausea. I went off it at 16 weeks or so.

If you are having a hard time keeping food and fluids down, and the traditional things don't work for you, ask your doc or midwife for a prescription for some sort of medication.

I hate taking medicines, but if it kept me from hurling 8 times a day, I would gladly do it (and did!) .

Good luck, mama. I know how much it sucks to be that sick.

Heather
#4 of 13 Old 03-20-2003, 12:40 PM

Have you tried any homeopathic remedies? They are all natural, safe for baby, no side effects and often surprisingly effective. LMK if you're interested and I'll help you figure out which remedy you need.
#5 of 13 Old 03-20-2003, 12:51 PM

I feel for you. I had that problem every time as well. I have no solutions. I found that 7 up helped me this last time. Mostly everything was just put on hold and the kids had to fend for themselves. I know I'm NO help at all but wanted you to know that you're not alone. I'll be thinking of you. (((hugs)))

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#6 of 13 Old 03-20-2003, 01:47 PM

there is a pressure point in the wrist that helps. they sell a product called Sea Bands (motion/sea sickness) that helped me. there are also "prescription" contraptions that stimulate the wrist pressure points you canask you doc about. (battery operated)
Other than that I ate a lot of fruit and dry cereals.
#7 of 13 Old 03-20-2003, 05:34 PM

I had this with my last 3 babies. The second time around, I believe I was on phenergan. Unfortunately, the Ob I had at the time was not very concerned about it until I actually managed to tear my esophagus. If I remember correctly, I still vomited but not nearly as often as I would have without it.

I hope you can get a handle on it because I know how miserable it is!

banana.gif

#8 of 13 Old 03-21-2003, 06:21 PM

Have you tried Compazine? It is an anal suppository that helped me a great deal when I was pg & had a violent flu. Sending positive, non-quesey vibes your way!

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#9 of 13 Old 03-21-2003, 07:55 PM

Check out the thread on phenergan... there is a good drug out there now that is approved for pregnancy called Zofran.
#10 of 13 Old 03-21-2003, 08:33 PM

I feel for you darlin'! I just found out yesterday that we are expecting again, which means I'll be in your boat real soon. Both of my previous pregnancies I had hyperemesis for the whole time, right up until the day I delivered. For the first one I was on phenergan - hated it! It made me so tired I couldn't function. Last time I was on zofran, I loved it. It helped with the nausea and I was still able to live a normal (waddling) life. I also tried the sea bands, they didn't work well for me, but that isn't to say it won't work for you. We also ordered something online, can't remember waht it's called but it is used for motion sickness. It also straps to your wrist, and puts a gentle pulse on your wrist. It actually helped a little, but I was so sick it really didn't do much until I started on the zofran. I'm trying to get into the doctor so I can get an advance prescription so I'm prepared. OH, fyi zofran had absolutely no side effects to the baby. She was (and still is) happy, healthy, and the smartest cutest baby I know (OK, so I'm a little biased here) Good luck and I hope you start to feel better soon.
#11 of 13 Old 03-21-2003, 08:35 PM
Banned

Bless you. I was there. Zofran helped me to go from puking about 10 times a day to only about 2 or 3, which was heaven to me. Hope you find some relief.
#12 of 13 Old 03-22-2003, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks everybody! I have been checking the posts everyday but forgot to reply:

BTW; for those who took Zofran, how often did you have to take it?
#13 of 13 Old 03-22-2003, 07:20 PM

I took any where from once a day to once every other day. Just depended. It seemed like though, once I had taken it for about two weeks, it really wasn't as necessary. Like it let my body heal itself enough to be able to not throw up without the medicine. (uhh, that made sense, right??). It was worth the money.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page