Pregnant plus size Mams, come here!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2006, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fashion Bug sells plus-size maternity clothes. Also, some Sears stores sell plus-sizes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2006, 09:55 PM

OOH that reminds me.......lane bryant catalog (www.lanebryantcatalog.com) has a maternity dept and sell nursing bras.

i can personally vouch for the wonderful comfort of their capris!!! (and admitingly, i wore them again this summer )
Old 07-31-2006, 12:28 PM

That link posted earlier (by Romans Mum I think?) has links to online stores with plus size maternity clothes. There are more than I remember w/ my last pregnancy, where I think I bought everything from Motherhood (which is decent but a girl needs a little selection).

I'm nervous about birth too. I had an "emergency" C section last time. Emergency because after they CRANKED up the pitocin, my babies heart rate dropped. They induced me because my fluid was "low" but not low enough that it didn't take then 12 hours and like 15 people examining me to decide if it was low enough to induce, while we were stuck in the triage room with no food. And the unprofessional behavior in the OR still makes me so angry. It's like I wasn't even there. They were actually fighting and one was pissed because it was unplanned and she had a date afterwards and her hair was now a mess!! : And there was no plus size gowns so the thing was half on me. I kept asking and finally got one, the next day!
I half blame myself for being too ignorant to stick up for us. I shouldn't harbor so much resentment. I have taken steps to keep all this from happening again by getting a (size friendly) midwife and changing hospitals. But I know it's normal to grieve c section births, espcially one that went as badly as mine did. I know it's possible that I will end up with another CS but it sure will be on MY terms if I do!
I'd love a home birth but unfortunately I'm not that confident that I can go w/out something for the pain. I know that belief and attitude have a lot to do with that too and I'm working on it. I'm happy with the hospital I chose and also the midwife so :
Old 07-31-2006, 01:24 PM

as soon as it was possible, i got into my own nightgowns. The NEVER found me a plus size gown, so I said screw em. If i have to have another hospital birth, im wearing my own clothes, regardless of what they say.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:53 PM

Good idea RM! I think I'll do the same.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:00 PM

Ok, I'm finally through catching up with this thread and ready to join in. My partner and I had had some trouble conceiving which seemed to be mostly timing related, but it led to me taking metformin for a few months before continuing to try. I managed to lose 15 pounds before getting pregnant, partly because the metformin made me feel terrible. I've lost another 18 pounds during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy (still taking the metformin), but I'm still about size 18/20 at 5'9" I feel like my doctor and midwife have been pretty respectful about discussing weight issues, for which I am incredibly grateful.

I'm really hoping to have a homebirth, but I'll probably have to continue prenatal care with my OB due to the combination of lay-midwifery being illegal here, and the need for a second parent adoption, during which who knows what will be examined!

I noticed a few of you refused or intend to refuse the GTT, which I would like to do as well. I'm extremely nervous that the thus far respectful attitude will change dramatically when I start refusing tests left and right. It's been like pulling teeth to just get the CNM to tell us what tests are coming up at each appointment and what they are for. They seem to be really into the idea that a mother-to-be need not be concerned with what is being done to her body. Gag.

It's great to meet all of you and I hope everyone has a blissful pregnancy and birth!
Old 07-31-2006, 03:05 PM

welcome! I'm not sure of the logistics you will have to battle to turn down the GD test since your on metformin. But as far as the tests.........refuse to do anything until you are told at the start of every appt what they are doing, what they want to test for, what those tests look for, whats the risk of the test, is there a high false positive rate?......you can even call and ask that, and if they wont tell you, tell them you refuse to go in until you find out. Its your body, your medical care, you should be fully informed of what is going to happen.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:44 PM

Hi Everyone! I've been meaning to catch up on this thread, but haven't had a lot of time! My name is Meghann and I am 21 weeks pregnant with #2! I have an almost-2-year old daughter also.

With my last pregnancy I gained 22 lbs all together, started out at 235. This pregnancy I started at a few pounds more than that and have yet to gain anything. Actually, at my last appointment my midwife said she would like to see me gain at least a pound or two by the next appointment. One thing I can say that is good, my midwives NEVER bug me about weight!

I'm interested in declining the GD test also. I didn't have it last time, I don't have any signs of having it this time and the test makes me feel like CRAP!: I'm curious what others experiences are in declining, any tips?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:12 PM

if you dont want the drink, but are still interested in doing it......there are other types out there, a fasting blood draw, eating a normal breakfast (usually with pancakes or something), the jellybean test.

the plus size pregnancy link i posted has some info on GD test alterantives. You may be able to convince your MW to opt for one of those instead.

you can also just watch your urine for sugars in it every visit, and if they are ultra nosey and want to know, you could do a finger prick test every visit to.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:17 PM

About the GD test. It seems like if you read up on it and simply tell your provider that you do not have any of the more common risk charateristics (no one else in family has Type II, no previous history of GD, etc.) they should respect your decision -- or be willing to discuss alternative detection methods. Urine is checked for sugar at prenatal visits (this was how GD was checked for way back when). If you are spilling sugar then it would make sense you go for further testing.

My father has Type II diabetes and I had a fasting blood sugar done once before I got pregnant and it was on the higher end of normal, so I was okay with the test during preg #1. This time, the practice gave me a glucometer and I took a week's worth of morning blood sugars and a few after meals. Yup, had GD again. I like this detection method better than the 1 hour and 3 hour ordeals! If you are opposed to the glucose test because of all the needles and all that sugar, maybe this could be an alternative that would work?

PS -- Could someone please tell me how to add a signature? I feel naked!

Jacqueline
Old 07-31-2006, 04:19 PM

go to your user control panel, and edit signature.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:30 PM

Hey everyone, jumping in here! Wanted to ask a question!

When does your MW/OB check for fundal height? When did they start? I'm wondering because mine hasn't checked yet, and I'm wondering if it's because of the extra padding there, or if it's too early (I'm 20 weeks). I hate having my stomach exposed anyway, so I don't mind that it hasn't been checked!

Old 07-31-2006, 04:32 PM

ummm i remember my OB checking from about 16 weeks onwards.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:48 PM

My mw didn't start checking until a little later, maybe after 20 or 24 weeks? I have an appointment next week, I'll let you know if they do!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiamama
My mw didn't start checking until a little later, maybe after 20 or 24 weeks? I have an appointment next week, I'll let you know if they do!
yeah, i think thats better.........i think its more that my OB was into being nosey, at 12wks when i went for my first appt, he tryed to hear the hb with the doppler.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:22 PM

Hi all! Jumping in! I was size 22 before pg, and the worst problem I've had is finding plus maternity clothes! NONE of the stores carry them. I've found some online, and gotten some on ebay. My munchkin is due in Jan, can't wait!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:22 PM

Teakafrog-JCPenney has some plus size, as well as Fashion Bug. Both places you can order online.
someone also mentioned I think its something like lanebryantcatalog.com but I havent looked there.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 PM

I'm a size 14 pre-preg. I have a picture posted on my blog. The URL is in my signature.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Old 07-31-2006, 07:45 PM

Check this link for a list of places that sell plus size maternity clothes. There's other good info there too.
http://tinyurl.com/7zsbc
Old 07-31-2006, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saramomofmany
I have a little gripe. I started my pregnant about 180 pounds. I'm planning a homebirth with a midwife. At the first appointment, she mentioned how important diet/exercise is for a healthy pregnancy and basically said if I don't gain any weight for the pregnancy that is just fine since I'm starting out quite a bit more than I need to be at. Ok, yeah, like I didn't know I was overweight. :
My OB with my first said that. That normally they want mothers to gain about 25 lbs, but that I didn't need to gain any weight. I took that to mean that I didn't need to try, but I still ended up gaining right around 25 lbs.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:51 PM

About plus size mat. clothes, I got some cool adjustable waist jeans at Fashion Bug this spring. I'm pretty big right now and nowhere near outgrowing them. I also have a pair of their regular jean shorts (the stretchy kind) that are a size or so big (leftover 'fat' clothes, lol) that I've been wearing in this heat. As for shirts, I've been making due with ones left over from before I lost weight.

I refused the gtt. I have a glucose monitor already and I basically told my dr that we both knew that if I gave my body such an overload of sugar we knew I'd fail. So what was the point. She let me get away with it as long as I monitor my sugar. I then report to her at each appt. Lowest/highest fasting and avg for post meals. So much better than doing the tests.

Actually, I refused pretty much every test except the ultrasound (I didn't do the quad test, so this was our chance to look for physical problems) & GBS this time. My dr hasn't been thrilled, but she's understood my reasoning and let me get away with it. So I guess, research each test, ask lots of questions, don't say yes unless you really want the test.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:04 PM

With DS my midwife and OB started measuring at 20 weeks.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 07-31-2006, 09:32 PM

I usually wear a size 20-22 before pregnancy and I have gotten a few cute things from Old Navy in their XXL size. Comfy shirts and stuff. I also buy some of my stuff from Motherhood. I never had good luck with JC Penney pants, but their shirts were nice.

I just had a pair of jeans modified into maternity jeans by www.bellyjeans.com....Cheryl is sweet to work with and they are SUPER comfy!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:27 AM

My highest weight non-pregnant was 260. So I joined a workout place and got my weight down to 215 (April 2004). I was so happy! Felt great. Then I moved to Alaska and met my current husband. I gained about 11 pounds before getting pregnant with my first daughter.
I weighed 226 pounds when I got pregnant with her. Before I delivered Abigail, May 2005, my weight was around 249, so I think I gained only 23 pounds. I quit working after I had her and quit exercising, but my weight dropped to 220 pounds.
After 2 months, it was back up to around 230 (and my period started) even though I was breastfeeding. When she was just 5 months old, I got pregnant again and at that time I weighed around 240!
I am now 38 weeks and weigh 260 pounds, so with this pregnancy I have gained 20 pounds so far. It's a bit depressing to think I am back where I started, but at least this time I'm also pregnant, so I know it's not all me.
I was really good exercising and eating healthy all through my first pregnancy. This time, not so good. I hardly exercise and I can feel it. Even though my weight isn't that far off, I feel softer... especially my legs, butt and back.

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed being pregnant the first time (had her when I was 31), this time I can't wait to not be pregnant and have my body back to normal, to feel like I can move again.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 AM

I forgot to say, I was wearing a 16/18 at my lowest weight, pre-pregnancy, and after having Abigail I was in 18/20. But now I'm wearing 22 and the worst part was going from size 10 underwear to now wearing size 12!

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 08-01-2006, 05:33 AM

As far as maternity clothes, don't forget Ebay. I actually found some pretty nice stuff in barely used condition.

Off topic -- I can't sleep tonight. It is 3:30 AM here and I am wide awake. It has been so hot! The a/c makes me sick : and the fan is just not enough. : Plus, I am really hungry!!!!!

-- Jacqueline
Old 08-01-2006, 05:34 AM

Does anyone know how I can add a phototo my profile?

Old 08-01-2006, 05:43 AM

My weight has been all over the map, too. I lost about 30 pounds before this pregnancy as part of diet/lifestyle changes -- getting rid of trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, eating organic, going to aerobics 2x / week... It took 2 years to lose this much, but I am confident that losing the weight so gradually means it is gone for good! Right now I feel strong and healthy and that is the most important thing!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:24 AM

I get a weekly e mail from the maternity center at the hospital and look what came today.

Research Briefs from The Parent Review

Obesity affects pregnancy more than asthma.
A recent study of asthmatic women found that those who were also obese were more likely to suffer pregnancy complications. The study included information on both asthmatic and non-asthmatic women, and a percentage of both populations was obese. Obese women, whether asthmatic or not, were more likely to experience complications such as preeclampsia, cesarean birth, or gestational diabetes and to suffer more serious asthma attacks."

Source: Obstetrics & Gynecology 108 (2006): 77–82.

Not sure what to say about that one!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:31 PM

thats just fine and dandy, i have asthma (mild) and im plus size, now i'm going to be bugged about the gd test even more. I had no problems with my asthma during my pregnancy btw......idiot obs.

User Tag List