Pregnant plus size Mams, come here!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 443 Old 08-11-2006, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren
Well aren't we all are still learning at different stages? My distrust of doctors is newer and I wasn't aware of all of that GD stuff. I am enjoying reading the info from the links you posted though. A real eye opener! I too will turn down the test now.
I think the danger in all of this birthing stuff and just life in general is not asking questions. I think I posted earlier about my birth fiasco. I partially blame myself for not doing my homework ahead of time and not asking questions. If only I had found MDC in time!
I had taken the short GD test, and they had me retake the long one since my numbers were wrong. That was around 20 weeks pregnant. They told me I had to retake the test after 35 weeks. I never did. I wasn't trying to make a point, I just didn't want to. I didn't realize it was something I could have just said no to.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#122 of 443 Old 08-12-2006, 08:57 AM

Hello! I totally belong here. I just found out on Tuesday that I am pg with #3. DD1 was a completely un-necessary c-sec because I was totally ignorant about birth (I thought I was well read, just had read the wrong books). Thank goodness someone gave me a mothering mag on vbac right after the birth and it changed my life! DS2 was a hbac with a wonderful midwife in North Carolina. I actually was worried she wouldn't take me because of my weight but she never even mentioned it. I had a backup doc who recommended the GTT but I refused to take it. With DD1 I took the three hour test and failed. Had to test my blood sugar after every meal for the entire 9 months--it never went above normal!!! I absolutely hated testing it--maybe I'm a big baby but poking my finger took at least 10 minutes of convincing myself to do it everytime! The thing with the test is really how often do we injest that much sugar all at once? I mean, I rarely eat a lot of sugar and I don't do soda pop so I'm not really worried. This time around I am pretty nervous about the birth. I am living in Japan and my options are very limited as far as care is concerned. I've been told there are no midwives in my area who will take American women because of the language barrier. The doc everyone recommends is very un-natural. I have to go to the base doc for the first 20 weeks and I'm sure they will try to push all kinds of tests I am going to refuse--causing havoc in the office (I've already told them I am not interested in the triple marker screen to which I was told that I have to take it so they know if I have to be transported to another base for the actual birth--argh!!!). Now DH and I are talking about going UC, but who knows at this point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans_mum
i heard on the news that the "guidelines" of weight gain are to HIGH and they want to lower them!!! its pathetic.
Right now I live in Japan and docs here really stress over weight gain. Japanese women are not to gain more than 15 lbs and most of this is supposed to happen during the last trimester. Japanese docs also worry a lot when they deliver stateside moms babies and will typically induce early because they often feel the baby is growing too large (8lbs is too big--funny both mine were over 8 lbs, DD was 8.4 and DS was 8.6).

Anyway, I am happy to be here on this thread. Thank you for starting it for all of us plus-sizers here!!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#123 of 443 Old 08-12-2006, 01:57 PM

thats awful! alot of asian women that would attend the adult program at my high school along with my mom (yes, me and mom were at the same high school at the same time) in new zealand, they would carry VERY large and they were soooo tiny. One lady, we thought she was ready to pop any second, and she was only 5mths.
#124 of 443 Old 08-13-2006, 09:44 PM

I have always been Rubenesque, from pubery until now. I am 44 years old,
5'8" tall, and weigh 247 lbs. I weighed 232 when my baby was conceived, and
made it clear to my husband that my weight was not going to be an issue for me before or after the baby's birth. I am extremely strong physically, and before my baby was conceived, I was leg-pressing 500+lbs. and dead- lifting
80+lb. barbells, as well as doing 4+spin classes a week, and 7+step classes
a week, in addition to my own workout regime of pilates, yoga and water aerobics, so, it's not a big deal if i want to eat something that i want to.I can run circles around girls half my size and age, and that alone is enough for me. we, as women, have the right to exist as we are, as long as we are happy within ourselves, and don't listen to people who are, for one reason or another,are unreasonable.My motto is Fat Bottomed-Girls make the rockin'
world go 'round...get on your bikes and ride...!!!!!!!!: : :
#125 of 443 Old 08-13-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmama44
I have always been Rubenesque, from pubery until now. I am 44 years old,
5'8" tall, and weigh 247 lbs. I weighed 232 when my baby was conceived, and
made it clear to my husband that my weight was not going to be an issue for me before or after the baby's birth. I am extremely strong physically, and before my baby was conceived, I was leg-pressing 500+lbs. and dead- lifting
80+lb. barbells, as well as doing 4+spin classes a week, and 7+step classes
a week, in addition to my own workout regime of pilates, yoga and water aerobics, so, it's not a big deal if i want to eat something that i want to.I can run circles around girls half my size and age, and that alone is enough for me. we, as women, have the right to exist as we are, as long as we are happy within ourselves, and don't listen to people who are, for one reason or another,are unreasonable.My motto is Fat Bottomed-Girls make the rockin'
world go 'round...get on your bikes and ride...!!!!!!!!: : :
I think I you! I'm not as fit as I used to be (that's an understatement), but at my fittest I was working out 6 days/week, 2 hours/day -- martial arts & kickboxing. I was strong, fit and HEALTHY, and still over 200 lbs. Fat Bottomed Girls DO make the rockin' world go 'round. :

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#126 of 443 Old 08-14-2006, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2
Hello! I totally belong here. I just found out on Tuesday that I am pg with #3. DD1 was a completely un-necessary c-sec because I was totally ignorant about birth (I thought I was well read, just had read the wrong books). Thank goodness someone gave me a mothering mag on vbac right after the birth and it changed my life! DS2 was a hbac with a wonderful midwife in North Carolina. I actually was worried she wouldn't take me because of my weight but she never even mentioned it. I had a backup doc who recommended the GTT but I refused to take it. With DD1 I took the three hour test and failed. Had to test my blood sugar after every meal for the entire 9 months--it never went above normal!!! I absolutely hated testing it--maybe I'm a big baby but poking my finger took at least 10 minutes of convincing myself to do it everytime! The thing with the test is really how often do we injest that much sugar all at once? I mean, I rarely eat a lot of sugar and I don't do soda pop so I'm not really worried. This time around I am pretty nervous about the birth. I am living in Japan and my options are very limited as far as care is concerned. I've been told there are no midwives in my area who will take American women because of the language barrier. The doc everyone recommends is very un-natural. I have to go to the base doc for the first 20 weeks and I'm sure they will try to push all kinds of tests I am going to refuse--causing havoc in the office (I've already told them I am not interested in the triple marker screen to which I was told that I have to take it so they know if I have to be transported to another base for the actual birth--argh!!!). Now DH and I are talking about going UC, but who knows at this point!

Right now I live in Japan and docs here really stress over weight gain. Japanese women are not to gain more than 15 lbs and most of this is supposed to happen during the last trimester. Japanese docs also worry a lot when they deliver stateside moms babies and will typically induce early because they often feel the baby is growing too large (8lbs is too big--funny both mine were over 8 lbs, DD was 8.4 and DS was 8.6).

Anyway, I am happy to be here on this thread. Thank you for starting it for all of us plus-sizers here!!
Hi. You do not have to put up with any crap from your doctor, no matter how much they bully you. Get a good book on nutrition, and get as much info as
you can about the glycemic index. This info is invaluable. Food changes radically once it is subjected to the chemical conversions it undergoes in your system, and what seems innocuous can in fact be quite devastating to some one who is insulin-resistant.Restricting your intake of sugar is only one part of the equation. the other part is restricting your intake of foods that rank high
on the glycemic index, as your body converts these into what else? Sugar!
Nutrition can reverse a lot of diabetic symptoms, and their devastating results
and paying attention to your body's signals will pay off in the long run. Hope this helps...
#127 of 443 Old 08-14-2006, 08:05 AM

It's so nice to hear that woman out there share the same concerns I do.
My husband and I are in our 2nd month in trying.
I'm 22, 5'2" 220 and size 20. Two's my number, maybe we'll have twins?We've been tossing around the idea of starting a family for several years now but finally took the plunge into ttc. (and what fun it is to try... hehe)
I'm switching to a nurse midwife in the fall to persue my dream of a drug free birth someday. So it is true that an overweight woman CAN give birth without drugs? And even though I'm overweight I can still use a midwife?
My next question is when I get pregnant will I even show? Maybe it sounds shallow but I look forward to watching my belly grow with a baby and I so badly want to be able to see that.
I have perfect cycles, which I am very proud of being they used to be awful. I still have this fear in the back of my head that I don't ovulate. (because I've been overweight my whole life) anyways, our 2nd month of ttc started yesterday, wish me luck!!! and anyone that has gone the natural route please share your experience with me.
#128 of 443 Old 08-14-2006, 10:53 AM

Welcome and congrats on TTC! I'm a size 22 and going for a natural birth! I didn't have one last time but it was because of a lack of education on my part I think.
I'm just into my second trimester and I look pregnant but I kind of did before. I think some of us plus size moms may be slower to show at first because of the extra weight but trust me you'll show eventually! And you'll be able to tell because your clothes might be snug even before you gain any weight.
#129 of 443 Old 08-14-2006, 11:01 AM

((((BIG HUGS)) Mellza! You can absolutely use a midwfie and have a drug free birth. Your ability to birth has nothing to do with your weight and DON'T let anyone else tell you otherwise!!!! I had my first started out just about the same size you are (except 2 inches taller) and went 32 of my 38 hour labor without drugs. I only got the epidural at that point because I was exhausted, I had been awake for over 24 hours with little rest, little food and pitocin for the last 6 hours of that. This time I plan to go totally drug-free though!

As for showing, it's different for everyone. With my last pregnancy, most people could tell that I was pregnant by 20 weeks and by the end I was just as big-bellied as any other women! This time around I showed a little sooner, and had people asking by 15-16 weeks.

Good luck on your ttcing!!!
#130 of 443 Old 08-14-2006, 01:12 PM

well, everyones already answered your q on the midwife, but on showing.....I DEFINATLY did at 5mths i looked like i was about to pop.
#131 of 443 Old 08-14-2006, 03:46 PM

:

I am so glad to have found this thread. You wonderful ladies are a wealth of knowledge. I am just starting the TTC journey. I am 35 and weigh 215. It almost makes me feel like I am starting out with 2 strikes against me....weight and age.

I plan on starting TTC next month and can't wait to start. I am sure I will have questions a-plenty in the upcoming months.

So glad to find you ladies!!!

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
#132 of 443 Old 08-14-2006, 06:15 PM

Hi.
I am 44 years old, and was 232 lbs. when I conceived my baby in March. You do'nt have two strikes against you, if you have a game plan for exercising, and eating properly from the get-go. 90% 0f how you feel is in your head!
I suggest that you surround yourself with people who love you and support you for the wonderful woman you are, and say the hell with the rest of those who will stop at nothing to satisfy their own egos by tearing you up. This is a time for self- love and tenderness, for the miracle that is your body, no matter what size it is, and by the way, welcome!
#133 of 443 Old 08-14-2006, 07:28 PM

I haven't read this whole thread, only on page two but I did want to make a couple comments. With my first three kids I went to mainstreat OBs/midwives. I was always given crap about my weight. It would really piss me off and I don't understand the point because if you nag me to death about it I will just go out and do the opposite. :

Anyway with this baby we plan a home birth. The first midwives I interviewed I did not click with at all. Not only did they make me feel like I could not handle a home birth because my other three were born in the hospital with epi's but when DH asked them something about HFCS they went on and on about how you shouldn't have any sugar AT ALL, including substitutes like stevia. After that interview I was really doubting the whole thing, but I went back to the My Tribe forum and got the name of another midwife.

I hit it off with the 2nd one right away!!! Not only was I told that it didn't matter that my others had been born in a hospital and I could do it, but they weren't all weight phobic and anti sugar. (midwives around here always have a partner.)

I was TOLD to gain at least 4lbs a month. (I haven't been overly hungry with this one so I am not gaining a lot of weight.) They said they didn't need to know how much I weight but I could just tell him how much I have gained since I last saw them. And even though I started out in the 250 range I get flack for NOT gaining enough weight that month and I am told to eat more protein. It is such a refreshing change!!!

Oh and my midwife only asked how much I weighed once, I reluctently told her, and she was Ok then you need to be drinking X amount of water a day. Aparently you are supposed to drink 50% of your body weight in water each day. I am STILL working on that one!

Ok back to reading, was only on page two.
#134 of 443 Old 08-14-2006, 11:27 PM

I belong here too .. I am a plus size momma and was when I was preggers with my sweet little boy. We want to TTC again soon but I am nervous to since I am on the upper end of the 200 lb scale anyhow I want to lose some weight but I am home all day and eat junk alot ... I need to get a better store of goodies in my fridge , you know fruits and veggies ... :
#135 of 443 Old 08-14-2006, 11:54 PM

I think this whole topic should be a separate forum page.
What do you all think???
There could be a whole plus sized momma section with all sorts of topics.
getting pregnant, pregnant, bfing issues, c-section issues, birthing plans...

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and plus sized.
Due for a c-section in about a week.
That's a whole other discussion.

Just wanted to suggest about the new forum for this.
#136 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 12:07 AM

I like the idea of a plus size forum.....maybe we should ask for it in questions and suggestions.
#137 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycurlygirl
I think this whole topic should be a separate forum page. What do you all think???
There could be a whole plus sized momma section with all sorts of topics.
getting pregnant, pregnant, bfing issues, c-section issues, birthing plans...
Just wanted to suggest about the new forum for this.
I totally agree with you. This thread is getting so long and so many topics are discussed here. It gets difficult to wade through the posts to find the topic you're looking for. It would be best if they were subdivided.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#138 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmama44
Hi.
I am 44 years old, and was 232 lbs. when I conceived my baby in March. You do'nt have two strikes against you, if you have a game plan for exercising, and eating properly from the get-go. 90% 0f how you feel is in your head!
I suggest that you surround yourself with people who love you and support you for the wonderful woman you are, and say the hell with the rest of those who will stop at nothing to satisfy their own egos by tearing you up. This is a time for self- love and tenderness, for the miracle that is your body, no matter what size it is, and by the way, welcome!
OldMama...thank you so much for that!! What you said makes me feel a lot better. I definately am surrounded by a supportive and caring family that doesn't think that my age is a factor....but would love to see me weigh a little less before I start TTC. Like I wouldn't like to see me weigh a little less...PERIOD. LOL!!

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
#139 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 01:09 PM

hey girls, i asked in Q&S and ms.mom told me to do a post in FYT to see if there was enough interest for a forum, go put your opinion here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=502022
#140 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 01:51 PM

Yea it's really a great idea. This is going to be bigger than the raspberry leaf tribe. I was kind of thinking we could start a weekly thread maybe istead of this long thing, but our own forum would be SO awesome!!
I just posted on the other thread too.
#141 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 PM

Ok, so I've heard A LOT of people say if you are fat, you probably won't be able to hear the baby's heartbeat using doppler. I've heard my baby's heartbeat on doppler at 10 weeks, before he/she started moving up. I have my 14 week appointment today, and I really want to hear the heartbeat again, but I'm afraid that now that the baby is moving up into my fattier area, we won't be able to hear it. What are all of your experiences with doppler? I guess I could just wait and see, but, no, I really can't!
#142 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 01:55 PM

we heard ds fine, except for him being a mexican jumping bean and running away from it every two seconds.
#143 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans_mum
we heard ds fine, except for him being a mexican jumping bean and running away from it every two seconds.
I agree! If you have already heard the heartbeat it shouldn't be a problem afterwards. The only time I have had a problem was in the beginning (before 12 weeks.) Once that heartbeat was found, they always found it right away afterwards!

I will say the only thing I have had problems with (and this only matters in the hospital) are those stupid external contraction monitors. The nurse keep telling me I wasn't in labor and the doctor was gonna send me home. I keep telling her those things didn't work on me and they had to use an internal monitor with my first baby, she wouldn't listen and keep telling me they were gonna send me home. I wanted to smack her.

When the doctor came in they decided to break my water and put me on an internal monitor and guess what? My contraction strength doubled. The nurse just said, Oh I guess you really were in labor. Yea.. you think!

I don’t remember them using a monitor at all with my third but I had a midwife that time, and my water had broke so there was no chance they were gonna send me home anyway.

Anyway I just wanted to share how unreliable those things are in case anyone has problems with them later.
#144 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 02:55 PM

i think that was my problem with my "false" labors, they kept saying i wasnt contracting, even in the hospital, but I was feeling them every 3-4mins still, but they were only showing up on the monitor every 9-11mins.
#145 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 03:10 PM

Mine were showing up but only measuring in the low 40s. The nurse was treating me like a big baby and almost has me convinced I was! I couldn't' believe it cause I had been in labor since 5am and didn't go in til 2pm. When they finally put the internal in it jumped to the upper 80's.

You would THINK they would realize that those things don't work on everyone and not be such buttheads when they get a patient in that is not the norm.

This was my only experience with going into labor before my water broke. My water broke with my other two hours before I was to be induced.
#146 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT
I will say the only thing I have had problems with (and this only matters in the hospital) are those stupid external contraction monitors. The nurse keep telling me I wasn't in labor and the doctor was gonna send me home. I keep telling her those things didn't work on me and they had to use an internal monitor with my first baby, she wouldn't listen and keep telling me they were gonna send me home. I wanted to smack her.

When the doctor came in they decided to break my water and put me on an internal monitor and guess what? My contraction strength doubled. The nurse just said, Oh I guess you really were in labor. Yea.. you think!

Anyway I just wanted to share how unreliable those things are in case anyone has problems with them later.
This same thing happened to me with my first! In the hospital where I was there were four tv screens in each room so the nurses could monitor several women while with one of them. All the other women's contractions were almost hitting the top of the screen and mine were just little blips--but I was totally throwing up and having pretty intense contractions. The nurse used that to finally get me to give in to the epidural--that my contractions just weren't as powerful as the other women's and yet I was in so much pain. Wouldn't you know when they put in the internal monitor, my contractions were right up there: I was so

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#147 of 443 Old 08-15-2006, 10:38 PM

Wow, thanks for everyone's replies on the doppler. We did hear the heartbeat again today, good and strong. And especially thanks for all the heads up info on the contraction monitor situation. It will be really good to know that going in!
#148 of 443 Old 08-17-2006, 02:39 PM

Hey! Last pregnancy I weighed 303 right before I gave birth. I didn't even consider a birthing ball at the hospital (long story, but basically, they wouldn't let me out of bed so it didn't matter : ). This time around we'll be at home (YAY!!!!) and I'm wondering if I'll need to look for a special, BBM (Big Beautiful Mama) birthing ball or if a regular one will do. Anybody know?

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#149 of 443 Old 08-17-2006, 02:52 PM

Mamas! I need help! I posted this to my ddc also, but I am in desperate need of a new bra. I'm busting out of the one I own!

I wear a 38H and prefer underwires for more support and "lift", as my boobies need all the help they can get! I wore Bravado bras last time and I hated them! Not enough support for me and I am not partial to the uniboob look either.

So, I need something that goes up to an H cup, something support, but will still look nice undershirts and make it look like I have breasts and not a large lump hidden beneath my shirt!

Any suggestions? Looking at nursing bras is making me crazy!:
#150 of 443 Old 08-17-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathenmom
Hey! Last pregnancy I weighed 303 right before I gave birth. I didn't even consider a birthing ball at the hospital (long story, but basically, they wouldn't let me out of bed so it didn't matter : ). This time around we'll be at home (YAY!!!!) and I'm wondering if I'll need to look for a special, BBM (Big Beautiful Mama) birthing ball or if a regular one will do. Anybody know?
the normal one worked for me......but Its all up to personal preferance.......they have those big long capsule shaped excercise balls now, those ones look more fun to me

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page