Pregnant plus size Mams, come here!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2006, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What happened to the thread? I had a miscarriage at the end of August and am pregnant again. Gained a little more weight in between them. Oh well... I'm ready to kick butt and get in better shape during my pregnancy. I'm not talking marathons, but just walking more, doing more yoga, etc...

Any pregnant plus size moms still out there?

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 03:14 AM

NAK

I don't know about everyone else, but I am no longer pregnant.

Congrats and good luck w/you pregnancy.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:15 AM

Yep, still here! I'm sorry for your loss, but glad you're back with us.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Old 12-04-2006, 03:16 AM

i'm due in january and a plus size mama-i lost about 100lbs after DD was born-went from 286 to 190ish...but sadly have gained a lot back in pregnancy, if i don't stick to a very small amount of calories (like 1200-1500 MAX) my body just packs on the pounds, it's frusterating-but i've been enjoying making healthy choices while also enjoying a little more freedom with food than i've had in the year i was doing weight loss...and i'll just get back up on that weight loss wagon when this DD is born-hard to gain so much after losing so much, kinda discouraging BUT i also looove how my body looks pregnant, and it's all baby weight i swear my boobs look fabulous and i have the cutest belly i didn't have when i was preggo with dd so...*shrug* what can you do but love it LOL

JEN, Hoopdancin' mama to Mairi Elizabeth 12/04, Catriana Quinn stillborn 41w 1/07 and our rainbow Elijah Asher 3/09, wife to Keith for 9 years.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about your loss Mama.

I'm still here....hopefully not for too long though. My "due" date was Sat. so I'm trying to be patient as we wait for our newest blessing to arrive.

I hope you have a peaceful pregnancy. Take care, Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:18 PM

I am : here. I too am a plus size mama.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 12-04-2006, 04:41 PM

I'm still here, though my baby is due... soon! Our guess date is Dec. 15, so coming right up. Though honestly I still don't feel ready! I'd love to know if other plus-sized moms had the unbelievably painful groin pain that I am having. Kinda like a combination of having been beaten with a sledgehammer in the pelvis and having done 8 million inner thigh lifts. My inner thighs hurt SO much. It's crazy and I am a little worried because I need those muscles functional for birthing, right??? Everyone keeps telling me not to worry, but....

Anyone else understand why plus-sized bra manufacturers don't believe that some of us DON'T have big boobs???? I mean mine are average (c) but finding a bra to fit is crazy. And c-cups at Lane Bryant are not c-cups in the rest of the universe... I don't get it, but my poor lil' c's just swim in those things. :
Old 12-04-2006, 06:03 PM

I'm here. Started this pregnancy at 238, probably up to 245 by now (22 weeks). I don't have a scale at home so I wait for the shock every month when I see the midwife.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Anyone else understand why plus-sized bra manufacturers don't believe that some of us DON'T have big boobs???? I mean mine are average (c) but finding a bra to fit is crazy. And c-cups at Lane Bryant are not c-cups in the rest of the universe... I don't get it, but my poor lil' c's just swim in those things.
I know. Basically the only thing "small" about me is my bust. I'm swimming in c cups, now that my milk supply is gone. Shoulda bought b's. It's pathetic. :
Old 12-04-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Anyone else understand why plus-sized bra manufacturers don't believe that some of us DON'T have big boobs???? I mean mine are average (c) but finding a bra to fit is crazy. And c-cups at Lane Bryant are not c-cups in the rest of the universe... I don't get it, but my poor lil' c's just swim in those things. :

Yeah, finding a good bra is a pain. I go to a specialty shop where they fit me. I was totally wearing the wrong size. I still have a hard time finding one that feels comfortable that doesn't make me look like I'm 80.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned

Oi, I don't know what I'll do when I need nursing bras-- I thought I got a good one (picked it up while at a mat outlet) but then realized it does make me look saggy and fat... erg. I have great boobs, imo, but they need full support to be fabulous, lol.

I hear you on gaining after a m/c. I am probably 10 pounds heavier than I would have been if I hadn't gotten preg and then m/c right before this pregnancy. Oh well!

I feel good so far about trying out different positions for birthing, which is great, as I was a little worried I'd feel silly or not fit well with them or something... well, sometimes my boobs feel squishes when I'm kneeling and leaning on my birth ball, but whatever
Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 PM

Oh I thought I'd killed it... The thread that is.
Still here, will be till the end of March.
I miscarried this year too. I'm so sorry for what you've been through.
It feels like 2006 is two separate years, each pregnancy getting
it's own half. I'm showing now, but since I'm curvy people are afraid to
mention it.

Me , married to , with one . I'm a birth doula. We believe in
Old 12-05-2006, 04:52 AM

another plus sized pregnant mama here. i am only 6 weeks. before i had dd i was 250. and 310 right before i had her a month later i was 280. got down to 255, then PPD set in, and jumped back up to 285. last i checked, that was about 6 months ago. my mom says i look like i have lost weight, so who knows.
my midwife could care less about weight so long as i am being good to my body with my food choices.
i am choosing not to care about my weight either. i love my body, as fat as it is. and as fat as it has been, and as fat as it will be.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 AM

Still here.....barely! I'm due this weekend and hoping this kid decides to make an appearance soon!

I've had a really good experience with my midwives....they never comment on my weight gain, unless it's to say that I've gained just the right amount of weight.....about 25 lbs. I really appreciate that they don't make a big deal out of weight.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:32 PM

I'm still here! I'm due in February. I love my midwives too and they also never mention my weight, but I have gained 20 lbs which I don't think is good. I really didn't need to gain any and wouldn't have if I were more vigilant about eating properly. The thing is, after a small gain, I kept NOT gaining although I had been eating pretty much what I wanted. Well I either started eating more or my body is just hanging onto it more because I just showed a 7 lb gain in 2 weeks! :
I know we are supposed to be proud, but I'm not. I'm embarrased and I'm uncomfortable.
Sorry for the losses. Congrats on the birth. And who mentioned groin pain?
I have it too. I think it's varicosities. I don't know how it plays out during birth. I'd like an answer for that one myself though. It's tough stuff!
And what about lower back pain? Wow! It seems regardless of how much or how little activity I do, it's there at the end of the day and I can barely get around. I do worry about getting through labor when it feels like my body is falling apart here. It's such a physical activity and I can't even seem to do simple every day stuff! :
Sorry to be negative here. I don't really have anywhere else to talk about these plus size issues so I really appreciate you guys I wish we could get a forum!
Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
I'm still here! I'm due in February. I love my midwives too and they also never mention my weight, but I have gained 20 lbs which I don't think is good. I really didn't need to gain any and wouldn't have if I were more vigilant about eating properly. The thing is, after a small gain, I kept NOT gaining although I had been eating pretty much what I wanted. Well I either started eating more or my body is just hanging onto it more because I just showed a 7 lb gain in 2 weeks! :
I know we are supposed to be proud, but I'm not. I'm embarrased and I'm uncomfortable.
Sorry for the losses. Congrats on the birth. And who mentioned groin pain?
I have it too. I think it's varicosities. I don't know how it plays out during birth. I'd like an answer for that one myself though. It's tough stuff!
And what about lower back pain? Wow! It seems regardless of how much or how little activity I do, it's there at the end of the day and I can barely get around. I do worry about getting through labor when it feels like my body is falling apart here. It's such a physical activity and I can't even seem to do simple every day stuff! :
Sorry to be negative here. I don't really have anywhere else to talk about these plus size issues so I really appreciate you guys I wish we could get a forum!
I'm already having some groin pain & I'm only 6 weeks. I think mine is round ligament pain. I try not to stretch in that area. It's really painful.

I'm also a little embarrased by my weight when I get weighed at the doctor. They always start on 150 & I have to tell them to bump it up.

I think our bodies muster up that strength to get through labor. When I had my youngest, I had just had the flu the night before and had been up all night coughing and sneezing. (I think that's what broke my water) Then, I was up all night laboring and had her at 7 am. It was actually an easier birth than my first. I had the strength to do it. What I remember most is being so starved after I had her since I hadn't eating much for a couple days. they brought me an omelet and I devoured it & I hate eggs.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:30 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy wendyland!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:32 PM

I am here I had posted once or twice on the other one(I THINK) Well anyways I am due in April and weigh 158 last time I got weighed I was almost 20 weeks...I go in tomorrow so I will find out again I am 20w 4d today...I have been fighting my weight for a long time I use to be 198 then I lost a lot of weight and was down to 141 then I got prego with #1 and the day I went in to have her I weighed 198 again I lost all the weight before the first year doing atkins and was finally down to 134 and got prego again(I found out right after my dd's first b-day) I got up to like 160 or so and FINALLY lost all the weight 2 1/2 years later and was down to 137 then I gained 15lbs and found out I was 2 months prego...I have a hard time losing weight...the only reson I lost the weight after the 2 1/2 years was because I got REALLY sick and couldn't eat for almost a month (not due to pregnancy related stuff either) both my parents are over weight more than me by about 100-200lbs so it's in my genes but I get so depressed and my husband tells me I can't sit on his lap anymore cuz I am heavier than I use to be and I feel disgusting...I don't know if my tummy is showing or if it's just more fat cuz I went from thin to bigger in a month so I can def. tell...I need some support mamas and I know I can find it here...Sorry so long
Old 12-05-2006, 02:15 PM

To the mamas who lost little ones... I am so sorry for your loss!!!!

To the mamas worried about their weight... pregnancy does stuff to us, I have had hunger unlike ANY thing else in the universe during this pregnancy. I could no more ignore it than I could ignore thirst or any other basic bodily function. It makes me laugh when someone tells me I should eat less while pregnant... my hunger literally will wake me up in the middle of the night and leave me unable to sleep, I get so hungry!

That said, I've gained 30lbs. Last visit to my MW I hadn't gained any in two weeks and she said, sternly... "You haven't been skipping meals, have you?!?!" Gosh I love her! LOL! My doctor, whom I saw for something else, said "Avoid everything low fat. Low fat is your enemy. You need fat for your babies brain!" Nooooo problem!

All I can say in regards to my weight is I'm eating what my body is asking for, and thus far... I mean my pregnancy has been uneventful... I'm going to go ahead and trust that my body knows what it needs to take care of this baby. And to heck with anyone with issues about bigger moms gaining weight!

I don't think my groin pain is variscosities... at least, there is nothing visible there. Mine feels more like deep muscle aches, like when you've really overworked your muscles. My round ligament issues are higher up... more up by my pelvis, vs. down in my groin... (I consider my groin to be where my legs connect to my body). Anyways it hurts!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:11 PM

not to bee controversial and snarky, but am i the only one that doesnt see 150 as plus suze?
i guess its because i am SO plus size, that 150 to me sounds positively twiglike.
not that i am making light of you or the way you feel about your body.
am i the only SUPER plus sized mama 250+?
i guess i just dont see 12-16 as plus size, and 16-18 is mildly plus size in my eyes.
me, i am a 24 before being pregnant. still a steady 24. we shall see how that goes later...

Old 12-05-2006, 04:54 PM

I am sorry but to me it is plus size I am sorry if I am offending anyone I know what it feels like for a size 1 to say they are fat it makes me sick so I know the feeling but seriously I am afraid that my weight is going to get worse...My mom is bigger than a 24 when not prego and my dad is overweight as well...My mom says she wishes she were my size so I know you're not the only one that feels that way and when I was 198 I wished I could just be 150 lbs and I would be happy well now that I am here and have been for a while I hate it...I eat constantly and my belly isn't showing baby it's showing fat...(Check out my other post from today with the pics)I have to push through layers of fat to even feel where the baby is and to feel the baby kick from the outside...My butt and thighs are bigger too and my stretch marks from when I gained 30 lbs in 2 months are tight again...I don't fit in with the skinny mamas either so where do I fit in?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:00 PM

I am also in your range AddysMama.

I am wondering how much my extra fat on top of belly would change weekly measurements. I am 37 weeks and measuring 42.5, but I know that this thick layer has to throw that off. My belly still goes in at my waist even though I am this far along, I would never post a bare belly shot, not with flab hanging down at the bottom and the lump over my lump

I would love to even be 198, but I don't mind if you post here.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 12-05-2006, 05:08 PM

mommyof2soon2b3 you belong here! Before you posted I was about to say that I see both sides of this issue. I may wish I was your size but I do remember when I weighed 150 in highschool and thought I was obese. The feeling was real and very depressing. Now 150 is FAR less than my goal weight but that's how my life is going and I am thankful for what I have. Anyway please don't feel unwelcome
Oh and about the varicosities, I can't see anything either but there are veins deep inside where they aren't visible. They could still be the problem... right?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMama View Post
not to bee controversial and snarky, but am i the only one that doesnt see 150 as plus suze?
i guess its because i am SO plus size, that 150 to me sounds positively twiglike.
i guess i just dont see 12-16 as plus size, and 16-18 is mildly plus size in my eyes.
me, i am a 24 before being pregnant. still a steady 24. we shall see how that goes later...
I was 150-155 before I had any kids. I usually wore a 12/14 and did not think of myself as plus size. Probably because my mom was a lot bigger. I thought I was just a little over weight. I'm at my heighest weight now at 220 and would love to be back under the 200 mark. That won't be for a while.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:26 PM

Here's a question I'm curious about, given my own experience.

Do any of you feel you are treated differently or wrongly when it comes to birth than a "normal" sized woman would be?

I have never experienced blatant discrimination or bad treatment because of my size, but there seems to be an undercurrent of *something* in caregivers minds when it comes to this childbearing thing. I am pretty comfortable with my body and I don't think I am oversensitive, but there is something there, even though it's not spoken. You know, the assumption that I had gest diabetes, wanting to poke my newborns foot because he was big and must therefore have blood sugar problems : , the dire warnings about how I would grow a big baby (in one case, those warnings were totally off base and big old me gave birth to a baby under 7 lb, at term!), the assumption that I'm totally inactive, and eating an unhealthy diet, etc. My mother (who is plus sized, and a medical doctor) believes there is a very strong bias in the medical field against plus-sized women and experienced it herself.

What are your experiences with this?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:27 PM

s

I remember when I was younger being too big for regular sized cloths and too small for plus sized cloths. It seemed no one carried a 14/16 on either side.

Aww.. to be there again.....

While I don't believe you are plus sized, I do think you have some self esteem issues regarding your weight. I am not sure your DH helps much when he makes comments that you are too heavy to sit on his lap because you have gained 20 or so lbs either. You should not feel "gross" about yourself at any weight let alone 150 and a pregnant 150 at that!!

As for having to feel "through layers of fat" to feel the baby. You are what, only 4 or 5 months along? Your baby is TINY right now, it is understandable that you wouldn't feel him/her very well from the outside. Give him time to grow.

If you find support on this thread, by all means stay. No one is telling you to go. Have a happy, healthy pregnancy.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

Do any of you feel you are treated differently or wrongly when it comes to birth than a "normal" sized woman would be?
I can't think of anything. If anything, they tiptoe around mentioning my weight. When I wasn't pregnant and got my iud out back in April, my OB mentioned my weight and asked if I was interested in some drug. He then said that he hoped I wasn't offended. I told him that he was a doctor and should mention it. I'm concerned about my health & so should he. He was glad that I was frank about it. I didn't take the drugs (meridia).

Old 12-05-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMama View Post
: No offense to the poster, but I do agree.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 12-05-2006, 05:53 PM

I guess I belong here too, pre-preggo I was 5'8" and 198 which according to my doc is seriously morbidly obes. Now I am 13 weeks and am roughly 207 and feeling really crappy about myself, my nutritionist told me if I don't watch what I eat I will die early and my baby will suffer. So I guess to some I am not a plus size mama, but everybody including myself is saying yes you are a plus size mama.

I thought I'd post here for support Right now I need to find maternity clothes. My clothes from my last were size medium and large and now I need an xl but alot of places don't sell xl and long pants. Does anybody have any links of places that sell something that may fit me?

Doula mama to my 3 bugs
Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
s

I remember when I was younger being too big for regular sized cloths and too small for plus sized cloths. It seemed no one carried a 14/16 on either side.

Aww.. to be there again.....

While I don't believe you are plus sized, I do think you have some self esteem issues regarding your weight. I am not sure your DH helps much when he makes comments that you are too heavy to sit on his lap because you have gained 20 or so lbs either. You should not feel "gross" about yourself at any weight let alone 150 and a pregnant 150 at that!!

As for having to feel "through layers of fat" to feel the baby. You are what, only 4 or 5 months along? Your baby is TINY right now, it is understandable that you wouldn't feel him/her very well from the outside. Give him time to grow.

If you find support on this thread, by all means stay. No one is telling you to go. Have a happy, healthy pregnancy.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

I have never experienced blatant discrimination or bad treatment because of my size, but there seems to be an undercurrent of *something* in caregivers minds when it comes to this childbearing thing. I am pretty comfortable with my body and I don't think I am oversensitive, but there is something there, even though it's not spoken. You know, the assumption that I had gest diabetes, wanting to poke my newborns foot because he was big and must therefore have blood sugar problems : , the dire warnings about how I would grow a big baby (in one case, those warnings were totally off base and big old me gave birth to a baby under 7 lb, at term!), the assumption that I'm totally inactive, and eating an unhealthy diet, etc. My mother (who is plus sized, and a medical doctor) believes there is a very strong bias in the medical field against plus-sized women and experienced it herself.

What are your experiences with this?
with DD i was DEFINITLY descriminated against. and silly me, didnt see that as big red warning flags. i really wish i had taken that into account and found a different care provider, when at 30 weeks i had only gained 10 lbs. (gained another 50! between then and delivery tho, how that happened is beyond me) she told me i was too obese to gain any more weight, and that my baby could die because i was too fat... exact words. WTF?!
now my midwife i am seeing for my homebirth is AWESOME! she has total size acceptance. she puts faith in a womans body to birth, no matter what the size.
i am SO lucky to have found her.

User Tag List