Pregnant plus size Mams, come here!! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 443 Old 01-06-2007, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas! I am a plus sized mama on my fifth baby. I am a 26/28, and I am sure gaining already. I shouldn't frown. I just wasn't ready for this. again. I really just want to be cute pregnant, not fat and no one notices until I am going to pop. But it's ok. I have birthed 4 beautiful babies all healthy and wonderful, and the last two at home.

I am due in August.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#242 of 443 Old 01-06-2007, 02:00 AM

LANE BRYANT HAS MATERNITY WEAR?! I had no idea!

Of course I can't afford it, but COOL!
http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.co...age?cgid1=1570

http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.co...GE?PAGEID=1624

http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.co...age?cgid1=1572

http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.co...age?cgid1=1573

http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.co...age?cgid1=1575

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#243 of 443 Old 01-06-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
Hey mamas! I am a plus sized mama on my fifth baby. I am a 26/28, and I am sure gaining already. I shouldn't frown. I just wasn't ready for this. again. I really just want to be cute pregnant, not fat and no one notices until I am going to pop. But it's ok. I have birthed 4 beautiful babies all healthy and wonderful, and the last two at home.

I am due in December.
No offense but Dec. seems a bit far out. I got pregnant the last week in Jan last year and my baby was born Nov. 5th
#244 of 443 Old 01-06-2007, 02:16 AM

That is because I meant August. OMG! It is starting already. LOL I am goign to go edit my original post.

#245 of 443 Old 01-06-2007, 03:26 AM

lol placenta brain already?! hahaha happens to me all the time!

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#246 of 443 Old 01-06-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saramomofmany View Post
I'm Sara. MN Mom of a DD, 6, DS, 4 3/4, then I had 2 miscarriages and then DS, 2 and I'm a little over 22 weeks pregnant with our next baby.

I'm around a size 18 prepregnancy, but according to the weight charts, for my height (5') and weight I'm about 60 pounds overweight.

I have a little gripe. I started my pregnant about 180 pounds. I'm planning a homebirth with a midwife. At the first appointment, she mentioned how important diet/exercise is for a healthy pregnancy and basically said if I don't gain any weight for the pregnancy that is just fine since I'm starting out quite a bit more than I need to be at. Ok, yeah, like I didn't know I was overweight. :

Anyways, so the second appointment I had gained about a half pound, she discussed with my my nutrition and I said it wasn't good but I would work on it. So then I had my next appointment yesterday. I gained about 2 pounds so a total gain of about 2 1/2 pounds(by the way I'm not trying to not gain weight, it's just what is happening so far, chasing 3 other children probably has something to do with it!!). SO my thoughts is not a big weight gain, I'm doing good according to her standards. So then she asks how nutrition is going, I said it is going better, I"m trying to get more calcium and protein, fruits, salads, etc. She says that's good and then asks if I eat out at fast food restaurants. I said sometimes, like once a week when we are running around we'll stop. She goes on to tell me how horrible McDonalds is for me and that if I have to go there to have a salad but no fries or Big Macs(not that I eat Big Macs, she just made the comment)...wouldn't the fact that I haven't gained much show that I'm not gorging myself on burgers, fries, ice cream, etc.? It kind of bothered me. I'm sorry but if I'm running around in the car how the heck am I supposed to eat a salad? :

So I'm curious what your doctors and/or midwifes have said about your weight gain for pregnancy?

Thanks for letting me vent. : Sara
I was at 200 pounds pre pregnancy (I am 30 weeks pregnant). My midwife just doesn't want me gaining more than 20-25 pounds. She showed me a chart that showed how much weight is natural. I believe that besides the baby's weight you also have boob weight, blood, fluid around baby and fat that builds up to help during breastfeeding. You Midwife sounds odd.
#247 of 443 Old 01-06-2007, 02:08 PM

my midwife doesnt give a crap what i gain. so long as the food i eat is healthy and i feel/look healthy weight isnt an issue.
at all.
if any midwife or ob makes weight an issue, that is NOT the HCP you need to be seeing.

#248 of 443 Old 01-06-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMama View Post
lol placenta brain already?! hahaha happens to me all the time!
I think I still have it from my last pregnancy.

Quote:
my midwife doesnt give a crap what i gain. so long as the food i eat is healthy and i feel/look healthy weight isnt an issue.
at all.
if any midwife or ob makes weight an issue, that is NOT the HCP you need to be seeing.
I agree. My mw the last two times did not harp on me about it, and I was about 280 pounds, and gained about 20 with each pregnancy.
She just would remind me to get some sort of exercise and to eat healthy. She didn't even insist on weighing me.

#249 of 443 Old 01-13-2007, 02:13 PM

Umm, is this just me? Medela claims their large/xL size for a pregnancy support belt fits to size 20 dress size pre-pregnancy, or a waist size of 34. Is there anyone out there whose waist is a 34 while wearing a size 20? I'm asking because I was a size 20 when my waist size was 40-42. When my waist was 34in I wore about a size 14. That's a pretty big difference, so I'm confused.
#250 of 443 Old 01-13-2007, 02:54 PM

when my waist was a 34 i was a 14 yeah.
at a size 20 my waist is about 42.

#251 of 443 Old 01-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned

OMG, this makes me so happy. I didn't know! I'm *only* 31 weeks, so maybe I can finally get some cute maternity clothes for this last stretch. I've been wearing PJ bottoms/sweat pants. So unattractive and I hate leaving the house. They probably don't carry these in their stores, huh?
#252 of 443 Old 01-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreamer View Post
OMG, this makes me so happy. I didn't know! I'm *only* 31 weeks, so maybe I can finally get some cute maternity clothes for this last stretch. I've been wearing PJ bottoms/sweat pants. So unattractive and I hate leaving the house. They probably don't carry these in their stores, huh?
I've never seen them in the stores around here, but I am so glad you get to wear them. Most of the mat stuff they have is too short for me int he belly when I'm not pregnant, let alone when I have a big ol' belly. LOL

#253 of 443 Old 01-15-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo View Post
I've never seen them in the stores around here, but I am so glad you get to wear them. Most of the mat stuff they have is too short for me int he belly when I'm not pregnant, let alone when I have a big ol' belly. LOL
Hi new here:
though NOT preggers as of yet..ttc for #3 I am plus -size too. So i can relate!!lol
When i was in 02- I jsut wore 2 sizes up incase i got bigger that is with normal clothes.Just my 2 cents..lol Hope everyone has a great pregnancy and a wonderful outcome!!!
#254 of 443 Old 01-15-2007, 03:29 PM

so im confused as to where my baby iside my body. im 18 weeks, this will be my 3rd child, but when i feel any movement its up HIGH. but when i go to the dr, and she listens to the heartbeat she is listening super low-like in my pubic hair. so where is the baby?

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#255 of 443 Old 01-15-2007, 08:49 PM

Hi, I am new and newly pregnant. We just went in for ultrasound today and baby looks wonderful, perfect and beautiful at eight weeks, three days. NP kept saying she looks like a girl! Time will tell. I am high risk because of my age, previous pregnancies and history of miscarriage/ectopic.

Overall everything looks good for now.

I am happy to find a place with other mamas like me. My first pregnancy I was a size five but that was twenty seven years ago Currently I am an 18/20/22/24, does that make sense? Depends on the manufacturer and what part of my body is goes on. I do feel bad to start a pregnancy at my top weight. Last time I lost seventy five pounds and got down to a size 14 and then gained sixty plus pounds over the pregnancy and then lost most of it only to gain it back last year when I was pregnant but miscarried and then afterwards dealt with depression. My weight has always been my cross to bear through life.

I'm not sure what I will do about my OB, he is not size friendly by a long shot but he does get me through safe natural vaginal deliveries. My worst problem has been with the L&D nurses who look at me like I have three heads for being pregnant and fat and already having kids at home. The nursery nurses aren't any better and want to give my kids bottles because they insist I must be diabetic (not, never have been) and that they will develop low blood sugar. There is a lot of prejudice against plus size mamas.

The good thing is the IBCLC at our hospital is a beautiful 22/24 and she always makes me feel real good and tells the nursery nurses to leave my babies alone and let me nurse them!

Look forward to getting to share this pregnancy with you all.
#256 of 443 Old 01-15-2007, 10:14 PM

Im with you! With my first pg I was at my perfect body weight, but gained 60lbs because the diet I had been on made me starve. I never lost all the weight and now am pg with twins. I will tell you, when I am pg, I am hungry and I am not going to starve myself while I'm pg. I would also say that while your MW might be correct in saying proper diet and exercise is bennificial to both you and your baby, if you were not in a previous work out then it is not good to start one up now because it will stress your body. I believe a good walk now is great for everyone, but if you are chasing little one's all day, your getting your exercise. I try to eat better stuff, more veg.cut out pop(except Sprite for sickness) stuff like that, but I do not stress over it. It is not worth it. I have had 2 m/c's and I am just glad to be pg again and am praying for healthy baby's and however fat I get, is how fat I get. You may also shop around for a new caregiver, I am a firm believer you should be 100% comfortable. I just changed myself.

Tiffany wife of 11 yrs to Karl:, DSD Ariel (16) DSS Kaleb (13) DD Jessika (5) twins Drake and Olivia (2) :and our sweet suprise, Lola (11mo):: two angels Sammy(03/06) and Alex (07/06)
#257 of 443 Old 01-16-2007, 08:33 PM

Thank you for the links to Lane Bryant Maternity. I ordered four items that I have never found in my size before. I bought a bella band, two camisoles to keep me warm under my tops and a t-shirt that has baby sayings all over it! I really wanted a t-shirt last time and I couldn't find anything that fit. So cool to find things in my size and with a $25 off coupon everything was very reasonable at $75 total. The NP just told me yesterday that I need to relax and enjoy this pregnancy. Having a few new items in my wardrobe will help me do that!
#258 of 443 Old 01-18-2007, 03:25 AM

I'm really glad I found this thread!! My husband and I are ttc for the first time. I'm 5'4" and currently about 215. We've been trying off and on since last March but haven't really gotten serious about timing till the last couple of months.

I have a ton of questions, but I tend to ramble a bit, sorry!

In July I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and low progesterone. I've had long cycles and agonizing cramps for years so I was relieved to finally have a diagnosis, but now I'm wondering if there may be more going on because my cycles have lengthened to 34 days and despite a biphasic chart I'm not positive whether or not I'm ovulating. But at least my husband convinced the doctor to switch me from Levoxyl to Armour (which I believe to be the best thyroid medicine and is the only one I haven't seen reports of miscarriages with)

I'm currently on a search for a doctor or midwife (do they take you while ttc?) and for a GP or something of that sort. I'm especially nervous because I have yet to find a doctor who will treat Hashimoto's to the elimination of symptoms and is knowledgeable about Armour. Armour suppresses TSH, so I'm paranoid they'll try to decrease my Armour or not increase it enough based upon bloodtests, and I know under-treated hypothyroidism is very dangerous during pregnancy!

I don't know if I've been discriminated against or gotten attitude for my size. It seems that all nurses and 99% of doctors take an instant dislike to me, but I guess I never really considered that it could be weight. We've speculated it could be because my husband and I are both (for ourselves and each other) very pro-active and question everything they say, or that when in pain I'm strong but a little nervous and need reassurance, or that my husband dotes on me and they're envious.

Oh wait, yeah there was one time I'm sure was size related! Last year my ex-obgyn ((start OT rant))whom I used to love and was pretty size-positive, put me through an un-needed laproscopic surgery for suspected endometriosis after first refusing the thyroid and hormone testing and then lying to me and saying he'd done it and the results came back fine. ((end OT rant))

I was in so much pain when I went in for the surgery that I was severely dehydrated since I'd been afraid to drink anything all day because I didn't think I'd be able to make it out of bed to pee. So they had a horrible time getting the IV's in me! The first nurse fished and fished, we gave her three tries till my husband told her no more..find someone else! The second nurse did the same thing except while she was fishing she was scolding me to relax since being tense was making it harder to get it in. Then told me that she wouldn't have any problems if I wasn't so overweight, all the fat was padding my veins, and showed me her varicose veins as an example of what mine should be like. Then told me I'd better get used to IV's if I was planning on getting pregnant cause you have to get them ALL the time (do you really? do I have to? I will if the baby needs it but I HATE them!) And that I had better start exercising and losing weight or I wouldn't have a healthy pregnancy and how she'd walked several miles each day during her pregnancy and on and on! (Finally my husband said "enough!" to her too. After they paged the doctor they had an ER nurse sent up who got it painlessly on the first try, to the death glares of the nurses who had failed lol)

Anyway......I've been wondering, are there any tests I could/should be getting before pregnancy in order to avoid some of the ones during pregnancy? I'm trying to follow a nutritious diet (vegetarian and very low soy and doing lots more research here on nutrition) and have *very* gradually been losing weight (probably also due to finally being on a reasonable Armour dosage). I've been wondering if I may be at risk for diabetes even pre-pregnancy, though I've drastically reduced my sugar and simple-carb intake.

My plan (and I just told my husband who agrees) is to eat healthy foods, have a few treats once in a while, if I'm craving something try to figure out why (though I really don't know what a krispy kreme or cheeto craving would translate to in health foods! lol) not overeat....and not worry at all about my weight now, or during the pregnancy.

Also I've tried to exercise a bit more (up from nothing lol) and I'm getting out for walks a few times per week now. I've been thinking of looking for a local aqua-aerobics class. Do you think that would be ok to start while TTC? And are there exercises I should avoid during the two-week-wait?

Thanks to anyone who managed to get through my rambling! Hopefully my posts from now on won't be quite so long, but no promises
#259 of 443 Old 01-18-2007, 03:54 AM

you are near me right? do i know you?????
you do NOT have to get IVs all the time while pregnant or even at all. alot of women that birth in the hospital do get IVs but only because alot of them dont know you can refuse them. technically you can refuse ANY medical "procedure" tho i would suggest having info before accepting or refusing treatment for anything ever. the whole name of the game with pregnancy and labor is "GET INFORMED!" and no, sorry, what to expect when you're expecting is NOT information.
if you need a midwife refferal and are near PDX ish areai HIGHLY suggest Pamela, her MDC name is pamamidwife.
she is my midwife and i LOVE her to death.

#260 of 443 Old 01-18-2007, 03:58 AM

I am the mom of 2 boys, almost 5 and 2.75. I am an 18-20 pre pregnancy. I am nearly 5'8" and started this pregnancy at 217lbs. I have been overweight (about the same as now) for all of my pregnancies. At 12.5 weeks I think I am up 4 lbs at this point but my ob seems very unconcerned with my weight. I do some times dream of having a tummy with less padding (easier to keep track of babes hb) but I really am very comfortable with my body especially when I am pregnant. I do plan on being more physically active this time around. Im due the end of July - the first of August.
Joy

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#261 of 443 Old 01-18-2007, 04:12 AM

Wow that was a quick response Addysmama! I believe we do live near each other...and we talked once for a couple minutes on yahoo back in June hehe.

Thanks for the midwife recommendation! Is she affiliated with any hospital or birthing center? I recently got a recommendation for an OB out at Adventist's who sounds like he could be ok, though it's a bit of a drive. And I've been told to check out St. Vincent's but not anyone in particular there. I read rave reviews of Andeluz here but then spoke with someone who said they have had some problems and may not be the safest place.

There is SO much to research! I've been doing a lot of reading on nutrition but there's just so much and so much is conflicting. Then I need to start reading on prenatal care and tests, and birth plans etc. I'm thankful I've started my research before pregnancy cause even if I get a positive test this cycle I still feel like I don't have nearly enough time to prepare lol.

For those who are looking for maternity clothes - I've found a couple of maternity shirts on clearance at Target (Liz Lange brand I think) and several empire-waisted shirts at Ross - they seem to be the style right now.

I'm actually more worried that people already think I look pregnant, than that they won't notice till later in the pregnancy lol. Of course once I *am* pregnant I'll be proud to show but not too thrilled about it till I am

How do you handle it when people ask due dates? I don't think I'll be very comfortable telling strangers, both because I'm afraid I'll "show" too soon, and also I just don't think it's their business.
#262 of 443 Old 01-18-2007, 04:05 PM

she is a homebirth midwife. i had Addy at st V's stay FAR FAR FAR away from there if you want a natural birth. however if you are ok with being induced, being strapped down to the bed for fetal monitoring the whole time and ending up with a c-sec (about 1 in 3 to 2 in 5 births at st vs are c-sec) then they would be great for you.
but, if you want a natural wonderful blissful waterbirth, i say either go to Andaluz (fabulous place!!!!!!!) or Alma midwifery in portland. OR have a homebirth.

as for looking pregnant. i have had a HUGE tummy for quite some time and i forever will, so my mom has been asking me since Addy was born "are you pregnant again?" lol i am only 13 weeks as of yesterday. and my uterus is just now starting to pop up... but i still wont have a noticably PREGNANT belly for at least 10 more weeks, until then i just look fat.
but ya know what? who cares what other people think????
as for due dates i say "i am due in August" thats it. i am really due end of july beginning of august somewhere in there, and specifics are none of anyone elses business.

#263 of 443 Old 01-18-2007, 07:35 PM

Sorry for the thread (somewhat) hijack! We really DO need our own forum!

Thanks for the info Addysmama! My first priority will be the health of my baby, secondly myself. I'm nervous cause (well assuming I get pregnant lol) this will be my first birth, so I don't have experience of knowing my body and having been through it. My instincts and research all say to go as natural as possible. And I do NOT want to be in a place that will intentionally try to sabotage my wishes. I guess I'm most nervous about being able to be transfered in time if something does go wrong. I saw pictures of Andaluz and it does look like a beautiful place to give birth. But I've also heard several horror stories about it that make me uncomfortable. Then again, how many horror stories are there about hospitals, plus how many extra that women don't even know could have been different? There's so many conflicting stories and opinions that it's difficult to sort through. Luckily I still have at least 40 weeks or more to keep figuring it out right?
#264 of 443 Old 01-18-2007, 08:27 PM

So how many pages does this thread need to be before someone decides a plus-size pregnancy forum would be useful? Honestly, it's a bit hard to wade through this many pages of info to find info about special concerns, plus-size maternity clothes, nursing bras, etc. :
#265 of 443 Old 01-19-2007, 01:48 AM

My mw wants to do an extra, early, GD test. I said no. It is based soley on my weight. I have had 4 perfectly healthy pregnancies and births, the last two of them at home. At least this modivates me to get off my arse and find a HB MW(mine moved away). How lame.

#266 of 443 Old 01-19-2007, 01:51 AM

ANd YES, we need a forum!!

#267 of 443 Old 01-19-2007, 10:50 PM

we DO need a forum.
thats odd, everyone i have talked to that has used Andaluz midwives and the BC itself LOVED it... will you PM me the horror story you heard???
how close are you to a hospital? i mean driving like you NEED to get there?
i know there is one fairly close to Andaluz, and Alma is downtown(i think) so close to ALOT of hospitals. transfering time shouldnt be the issue, but having a care provider that would know when its appropriate to transfer you is. does that make sense?
i am a bit rambly.

ok i need to rant for a bit.
i am 13w2d and have been feeling movement for a few weeks. i recently started feeling tiny thumps. all the movement i feel is IN my uterus.
i have heard in my ddc and other places all over the internet that larger women shuldnt be able to feel their babies movement until much later than average or skinny women. i call bullsh!t!!!! it pisses me off to no end that people perpetuate these myths. i have fat in my body but NOT INSIDE my uterus!!!!! aggggggggg. that makes me so mad!!!!!
/rant

argh.

#268 of 443 Old 01-20-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
ok i need to rant for a bit.
i am 13w2d and have been feeling movement for a few weeks. i recently started feeling tiny thumps. all the movement i feel is IN my uterus.
i have heard in my ddc and other places all over the internet that larger women shuldnt be able to feel their babies movement until much later than average or skinny women. i call bullsh!t!!!! it pisses me off to no end that people perpetuate these myths. i have fat in my body but NOT INSIDE my uterus!!!!! aggggggggg. that makes me so mad!!!!!
/rant

argh.
Yeah, that pisses me off too. LOL Just like cosleeping is more dangerous if you're fat, cause I have no feeling on my fat ody to know if I am rolling on the baby!! Grrr...even mothering mag printed that. :

I believe you! I have felt my babes as early as 11 weeks or so, and I had one babe who I didn't feel til around 18 weeks, it has so much to do with the position of the baby, and the placenta.

#269 of 443 Old 01-20-2007, 01:37 AM

aggggg the cosleeping comment. grrrrrrrr.
you know, cause i am soooo fat that my nerves dont work anymore and i am so unaware of my surroundings that i find my babies under my belly flap. on under my huge ass.....
agggggggggg!
grrrr

#270 of 443 Old 01-20-2007, 04:26 AM

BELLY FLAP!!! OMG! Only I could think that was so funny, right? I seriously can not stop laughing!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page