Mothering Forum banner

SPD (Separated pubic bone) and subsequent pregnancies

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TurboClaudia 
#1 ·
I had SPD with DS. My pubic bone started separating at around 21 weeks (which I've read is pretty early for a 1st pg) and the pain was excruciating. I remember crying on my way out of a meeting at work because I could barely walk back to my desk. I had a hard time getting into and out of bed, and I couldn't lift anything - even a gallon of milk made me hurt. The pain was a little less intense toward the end of the pregnancy - I think it was the worst between 25 and 30 weeks or so - and then it was pretty much gone after birth.

Has anyone else experienced this? What happened with subsequent pregnancies? Was it as bad as or worse than the first time you had it?

DS is almost a year old (gasp!) and I sometimes still have twinges of pain, usually if I've been walking a lot while carrying/wearing DS. I'm not ready to get pregnant again yet, but I do someday want more kids and I want them to be fairly close together. But I'm so scared about that pain - I keep thinking there's NO WAY I can handle being in that kind of pain and chasing after a toddler. Is there hope that it won't be as bad the second time around, or is it separated for good and it will always hurt?

#2 ·
Mine happened with the birth of my 3rd. It was very very painful after the birth. I had no idea what it was, or what to do so I didn't do anything. Got pg with #4 and it was terrible. So I started to research what it was and found some things that were very helpful. I did them religiously and it healed almost completly after #4 was born. My pg with #5 I had no pain at all. It came back a little with #6. I can feel it now, 9 week pg with #7. But I haven't been doing the things I should be doing.

The things that helped me the most was to roll over with a pillow between my legs. Don't seperate them to roll over. I think thats the biggest thing. Try not to lay on your back with your legs apart, try to keep one side up a bit so as not to over extend it. Water walking is very helpful. If you have to take a big step up see if you can't get a step stool and take smaller step. HTH. Do some searches see if you can't get some more ideas. But mine really did get better. It was so bad before dh could hear the clicking when I would roll over.

#3 ·
I am another Houstonian that suffered with SPD in my last pregnancy. It was my 4th pregnancy and the first time I dealt with it. I am now pregnant with #5 and am really hoping not to meet the same fate. I am working very hard to strengthen my abdominal muscles. Your rectus abdominus originates at your pubic bones and I am hoping that if my abs are really strong they will help hold the bones in place - it's a theory

I also know that this time at the first sign of pain I will start seeing my chiropractor immediately. I didn't start seeing him until it was really bad and then it took a couple of weeks for it to get better but chiropractics definitely did help last time.

I hope neither of us have to deal with that pain again
: I am hopefull because I have a friend that had it with #1, not at all with #2 and is currently pregnant with #3 (32 weeks) and there is no sign of the pain. She was in better physical condition with her last two pregnancies, not sure if that makes a difference but again, part of my theory

Keri

#4 ·
Good to hear about your friend, Keri - that gives me hope! (BTW I think we met briefly at an API meeting - the one you were leading in Feb.
It was a good meeting but I had to leave early.)

I tried chiro almost as soon as the pain started with DS - I had been in a minor car accident right before it started and thought that was the cause. It helped a little, but really only for an hour or so after each treatment. I worked sitting at a desk all day and that was the worst. Hopefully I won't be working FT next pregnancy.

Full Heart I remember trying some of what you mentioned when I had it - some of it did help a little. My MW also had me do something like downward-facing dog stretches to try to get DS up out of my pelvis. Sometimes this would relieve the pain for a few hours. It's good to hear also that you lucked out with some of your pregnancies, so maybe the pain won't be a sure-thing if I get pregnant again.

#5 ·
I too am terrified of getting this again. I had it the last 6 weeks of my first pregnancy, the last 3 months of my second, and *GASP* the last 6 MONTHS of my twins' pregnancy.
I am now newly pregnant with my 5th child and hope it won't start, but with my history...it'll start tomorrow!
:

I've heard a support belt/band helps and I am going to try seeing a chiropractor. We'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.