nutrition and fast food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-21-2003, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last time I was pregnant, I ate a lot of fast food. I'm not a fast food person, but for some reason, it sounded really good during my pregnancy last time, and I thought at the beginning of this pregnancy that there was no way in the world I'd do that again. I haven't even eaten much fast food in the past couple of years.

Now I'm 12 weeks pregnant and I am getting these strong urges for certain items from places like Taco Bell and McDonalds, which I totally shunned a month ago! I've gone to Taco Bell 2 days in a row. I feel stupid asking this, but I feel like if I don't have excellent nutrition than I am hurting my baby. Is that they case? Or is this stuff ok in moderation? Is anyone else going through this?
#2 of 24 Old 03-21-2003, 03:10 PM

I went throught the same thing during my first trimester (and a little beyond). The only things that sounded good were Taco Bell, Wendy's and such. The cravings did seem to subside some around the end of the fourth month. Are you having morning sickness? I ask because my cravings for fast food started to lessen around the same time my morning sickness starting going away so maybe the two are related. I really think that if you are eating other foods too, and not only fast food, you are probably doing okay. Also, you can try ordering a side salad to go with your biggie sized burger and fries if that helps. Just make sure it doesn't become a 3 meal a day habit and I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Also - you could try making some of your own fast food. Make homemade nachos with fresh avocado, tomato and organic cheese and beans. Or try making your own fries in the oven. That helped me with the cravings too.
#3 of 24 Old 03-21-2003, 03:11 PM

I ate really well in my early days, but once we moved to our house and had total chaos, that was over. I was eating Taco H*ll at least three times a week, then there was Subway, not to mention Pizza. I also gained 75 pounds.

I would say in moderation is fine, but watch yourself because there is tons of fat and calories in those foods and you may end up gaining way more than you would like.

(Thanks...now I want a bean burrito... )
#4 of 24 Old 03-21-2003, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am right there with you. Early on I actually had cravings for fast food burgers. I ate them, but they weren't satisfying, so a week or so later I grilled my own burgers at home. I haven't had the same craving for red meat since then, so maybe that did the trick.

Yesterday I met up with a friend, and we were going to go to lunch. Of all places, we ended up at McDonald's. I really had no desire to eat there, but I was so hungry I needed to eat somewhere and there we were. It was kind of a bummer that I was eating there when I didn't want to, because I did want to earlier in the pregnancy. I ended up having a grilled chicken breast sandwich and a fish sandwich with no sauce. The chicken sandwich was one of the better things I could have gotten there.

I don't know why it is that I have these strong desires for certain foods, but I know in my case I feel like I try to eat healthy when I'm not pregnant, which means denying myself things I want. When I'm pregnant and I want it, its like I rationalize it saying I must need it somehow. LOL, and I feel like I have a special dispensation from the self denial--not that I am ever very good at it anyway, mind you. I remember I started my last pregnancy off very well, but then after talking to moms who had strong Taco Bell cravings and hearing that they were indulging them, I ended up doing the same.

I am still trying to avoid things like deep fried foods (so why did I eat the filet o' fish???) because of the trans fats, and I try to avoid foods that are fatty and salty without much other nutrition. My biggest concern with eating fast food (or eating at restaurants, for that matter) is more the worry about whether proper food handling procedures were followed, and whether the food will make me sick. At home I eat a lot of fruit, but not a lot of vegetables right now--having a hard time adding those back in, although I have been really trying. Since I tend to eat lighter while at home, and don't eat much meat, maybe that is why I end up getting chicken sandwiches from various places.

My personal feeling is that excellent nutrition for pregnancy might be different from the type of optimal nutrition you want for yourself throughout your life. Meaning that you need to eat enough macronutrients (protein, carbs and fat) and calories to provide nourishment for the baby. You want to get enough vitamins and minerals. With most foods you eat and the prenatal vitamins, you are fulfilling those requirements. So if you are hungry, and there are only a few things that sound good, and a lot of things that sound bad, it makes sense to eat what you think you can tolerate. Chances are it has enough of the nutrients you need to nourish you and your babe. If you are worried that it is too unhealthy, try making your own healthier version at home and see if that satisfies your craving. The other day I really wanted a donut, but I knew there was nothing there that was nourishing. I ate a some granola cereal with milk which satisfied my craving. I've made my own tostadas and burritos at home too, and they are pretty good. I toast corn tortillas instead of using the deep fried flour kind.

I've also heard that eating a protein food when you are craving sweets can help. I know that avoiding sugar laden foods that are mostly empty calories is a good idea, but I was taking in a lot of extra sugar in the form of fruit juice. For awhile I was craving orange juice and had to have it with every meal. I've cut way back on juice consumption and I don't have the cravings anymore, but for a time it really was what I wanted to drink and I didn't deny myself even though I normally don't drink juice. And I add salt to taste because I found in the past that trying to limit salt, maybe in the face of all the extra potassium I was getting from fruit and juice, made me downright sick sometimes.
#5 of 24 Old 03-21-2003, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mirlee
(Thanks...now I want a bean burrito... )
Me too!

So far this pregnancy I haven't started any of that yet(I am almost 5 weeks). With ds I craved bean burritos. When I was pregnant with dd I had to have potatoes. Hash browns, french fries, baked potatoes, potato soup.................you get the picture. :

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#6 of 24 Old 03-21-2003, 05:04 PM

My mouth is watering!!! I was eating lunch in my car today and thought...a burger tonight would be great!! I'm such a health nut that this surprises me...

I had eggs with Hot sauce on it today...sounded sooooo good!!!
#7 of 24 Old 03-21-2003, 05:32 PM
KFH

Ok, now I don't feel quite as guilty...No fast food here, but I have been craving Coke. I rarely, rarely drink it, and we never have it in the house. Gee wonder what nutrient I really need that is disguising itself as a Coke craving????
#8 of 24 Old 03-21-2003, 07:48 PM

That's so strange...I've been craving Coke something crazy! I never drink the stuff so I can't image why I want it now. I also can't eat enough Subway...Veggie Delight with lot's of hot peppers!! But, I don't feel too guilty about that!!
#9 of 24 Old 03-21-2003, 10:56 PM

I admit I've been eating Subway. Out of all the fast food joints, I think it might be the lesser evil. I really like their sandwiches, and since I work 60+ hours a week, good grief, some days I am just too tired to cook and swing by.

I also have had cravings for Taco Bell, which I NEVER eat at!!!

I figure as long as I eat well the rest of the time, a meal or two at a fast food joint won't kill me or the babe. <fingers crossed>

#10 of 24 Old 03-21-2003, 11:06 PM

I've been eating Port of Subs myself. But I keep hearing about all the stuff I'm NOT supposed to eat, including deli meats, soft cheeses, undercooked eggs, tuna, hotdogs (which I normally don't eat, but had a couple about 2 weeks ago) and I forget what else, so today I refused some soft goat cheese, and ate a veggie sub instead of one with meat.

Since becoming pregnant, however, I've eaten 4 eggs with runny yolks, some batter with raw egg in it, several pounds of deli turkey, 4 hot dogs, 4 cans of tuna, regular tea and a regular cappucino once, sugary drinks like juice and soda and feta cheese.
#11 of 24 Old 03-21-2003, 11:56 PM

I've stopped by SUBWAY a few times myself - and that was BEFORE I tested ++++

I've got the URGE to eat salad's, greens and fruits, and that is TOTALLY NOT ME, I'm more a burger and fries girl....... I guess my body must NEED this.

Chelly
(who ate a bowl of broccoli for dinner, with garlic and parmesan cheese - YUM)
#12 of 24 Old 03-22-2003, 02:32 AM

Joining you all at the fast food joint...

With my first pregnancy I could not drive and was housebound nine miles out of town.I could only go to the grocery store about two times a motnh, and was dependant on my husband to bring home way too many things. He was gone for days at a time..due to his job, so Iwas stuck at home with VERY bad morning sickness and did not eat very well at all.

This tima around..I just eat what I am hungry for.I can drive and my son and I get up and go somewhere to eat almoost two or three times a week.

I have eaten at Subway,Burger King,McDonalds.Local resteraunts,Dennys,Taco Bell,The grocery store deli,what ever sounds good and is relatively healthy.My weight is healthy,my blood pressure has remained good so far( please god let it remain that way)and I feel a lot better.

This is nto saying I am supersizing every order and eating a constant stream of garbage..but if I am hungry for something like a bean burrito..or a hamburger, or soething along those lines..I eat it. Otherwise I would not get very much protien as I have not been able to stomach cooking .

I have been doing things like boiling water for frozen pasta/ravioli type things, making salads, and making toasted cheese or soup for my son.I can eat a little of my own cooking..but not much. Like, two or three bites and then I am gagging.I gag while I am making the food,gag while I am trying to eat it, and gag after wards when I have to clean up after it.....So being able to go into subway and order a turkey sub with tons of veggies and some juice...that has been a total life saver!!

And it is the same with places like Burger King.I would be living on gatoraide and pretzels otherwise!A Jr.whopper with cheese and a few french fries are TEN times better for me than what I might otherwise be eating here at home...and at least my son gets to eat soemthing beside chicken noodle suop from a can.

I do ot have family to fall back on to help me out and my husband is on the atkins thing, so all he is eating is one slab O'meat after another....bluck.

I say, that if all you can stomach is a sandwich from McDonalds..then try VERY hard to order the healthiest thing they have and a salad to go with it..or don't order the salad if you know you cannot eat it...and try to do things like have healthy snacks and etc on hand for the meantime...and do not beat yourself up about it too bad. Eat what you can...try to improve it if it bothering you ( like,seek out what types of resteraunts and etc.you have and learn what the menus etc offer so maybe you have a wider range of food options) and do the best you can otherwise.

Just my opinion anyway.... Becca.
#13 of 24 Old 03-22-2003, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am so bad! I eat fast food all the time. We own our own business and are at the office all day and night and I never have time to cook- nor the energy to stand at my stove! I feel bad too, but I figure I can make tocos at my house and no one would think twice about it, so eat them up. Fast food doesnt mean bad food. Although my addiction is fries But, hey you body tells you what it really needs. And fast food is better then starving.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#14 of 24 Old 03-22-2003, 07:54 PM

Great now I have to get Subway for dinner! Chelly, I was like you, a burger and fry turned salad girl.

I also have the coke craving. At the beginning, it really helped with my ms.: My mw did not seem too concerned. I drink tons of water everyday. If it took a ca of coke here and there, oh well. I am not a pop drinker so it was weird for me though.

Mmmmm............ bean burrito -sauce -onions X cheese add own sauce. gotta love em.
#15 of 24 Old 03-23-2003, 12:16 AM

VERY rarely, and only when i'm out (which isn't often), i'll get a bean burrito with no cheese from Taco Bell. my first pg, i ate at McDonald's, but only the McVeggie and Egg McMuffins without the meat. this time, i've been eating so healthfully, and i've already gained 40 pounds, with 7 more weeks to go :
#16 of 24 Old 03-23-2003, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Avonlea

I do ot have family to fall back on to help me out and my husband is on the atkins thing, so all he is eating is one slab O'meat after another....bluck.
Same thing here! But my husband has been on a plateau since January, so now he is only eating every other day--still doing Atkins. : What's the point? On Friday he had a rotisserie chicken, today nothing, tomorrow he will have hot dogs. He only eats one meal a day anyway.
#17 of 24 Old 03-23-2003, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KFH
Gee wonder what nutrient I really need that is disguising itself as a Coke craving????
Maybe caffeine? Or Vitamin C? I have had vitamin C cravings so bad I saw a bottle of it in the grocery store and just knew I had to have it.

In the first few weeks, Subway was one of the only things I could eat that was remotely healthy. I sort of felt guilty about the cold cuts, etc., but I've just decided this pregnancy that I'm not going to worry about listeria. I'm cutting out things that will definitely cause problems, like alcohol and excessive caffeine, but I think the listeria restrictions are onerous given the relatively low risk of actually getting it.

I wouldn't worry too much about Taco Bell, because a lot of stuff there is decently healthy (beans, veggies, etc.).

Before I got pregnant, I was trying to eat lots of protein and vegetables and limit my carbs, and I thought I would continue through pregnancy that way. But when I got pregnant, I was shocked to find myself craving bagels and cereal and chocolate pudding and all sorts of things I normally don't allow in my house. So strange.
#18 of 24 Old 03-23-2003, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I was all about the Atkins type of eating too. Until I got preggos! I can hardly eat meat now, give me pasta, bead and milk and a potato anyday! but, I am finaly able to eat more meat then I did in the first 3 months, but still not my normal intake. I have only gained 30 lbs, eating all those carbs, so I figure I am still okay. The baby has a strong HB and moves all the time I know I am giving him what he needs. (or her- hee hee)

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#19 of 24 Old 03-23-2003, 02:51 PM

I was tempted into the McDonalds chamber of horror myself a few weeks ago and had cheeseburger three days straight! Luckily, the last was so gross that I feel off that craving. I've heard that we crave the foods of childhood in pregnancy, the comfort foods. I know that burger tasted the same as 15-20 years ago, maybe it was the same one?
#20 of 24 Old 03-23-2003, 02:53 PM

Ooh, pregnancy brain! Look at all those spelling mistakes and dropped words!
#21 of 24 Old 03-23-2003, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JLav
That's so strange...I've been craving Coke something crazy! I never drink the stuff so I can't image why I want it now. I also can't eat enough Subway...Veggie Delight with lot's of hot peppers!! But, I don't feel too guilty about that!!
I wouldn't feel bad about the Coke, either. Of course, it is definitely not the best, but it *really* helped me with nausea during early pregnancy. Now, I wouldn't go near Coke with a ten foot pole. Anything carbonated gives me heartburn something fierce. In fact, I am much more restricted about what I "can" eat now b/c of heartburn!

Here's to feeling good during pregnancy!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#22 of 24 Old 03-23-2003, 04:35 PM

I am having gallbladder trouble, so no greasy foods for me :cry All of this talk is making me *really* crave a cheese burger and fries. Yesterday my DH and I had to run some errands, and he decided that he had to have a Big Mac for lunch. I had to settle for the ceasar salad b/c of the grease, and I watched him eat all l of his fries :cry Talk about torture! That is cruel and unusal. I've never been a fast food or soda gal, but I have a weekness for McD's fries. I guess now the only fast thing I can really eat is Subway. I get the kids pack!
#23 of 24 Old 03-23-2003, 04:52 PM
KFH

goofed up--oops!
#24 of 24 Old 03-23-2003, 04:59 PM
KFH

Quote:
Originally posted by Free Thinker
I am having gallbladder trouble, so no greasy foods for me
I had mine taken out at the beginning of this pregnancy, and there is NOTHING like that pain! Horrible, horrible. Sorry you're dealing with that. I can sympathize(though mine was sudden acute onset with no prior history of trouble)! I wouldn't want to do anything to aggrevate it either. Ouch!

And Hypatia...funny, I never thought of caffeine as a nutrient--not that I don't consume at least my fair share when not pregnant! I'd really prefer mine in the form of coffee if it came to that, though! Last pregnancy, toward the end, I couldn't get enough seltzer, or fizzy water. Must have been some minerals there I needed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page