Fantasizing about a name for 2nd child... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-24-2003, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our son is only 5 months & already we are fantasizing about our second baby. What boy or girl name do you think would go well with our son's name Lucas? We had so much trouble picking his name out, its hard to imagine how we'll come up with a 2nd!

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#2 of 14 Old 03-24-2003, 12:48 PM

My ds was almost Lucas. I was really torn between that and Seth through the entire pregnancy. (I liked Jacob, but DH vetoed early on.) After ds was born and we still didn't have a name- I threw out 'how about Jacob, we'll call him Jake' and DH agreed. So now we have Jacob Lucas.

I still like Seth. I also like Kieran.

For a girl, we were leaning toward Mira as a nickname, but hadn't finalized the 'formal' name. Possibly Miranda.

Sorry, that's probably not much help, but those were the names we liked.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 14 Old 03-24-2003, 04:21 PM

Shelbean, my friend Meranda's mother's formal name is Mira.
#4 of 14 Old 03-24-2003, 09:38 PM

My husband's top choice right now is Lucas! I'm leaning towards Nicholas (or Nicolas) or Alexander or Jacob. Henry is another that we keep sort of considering. Our girl name is Elaine or Elena. (Elaine was my middle name before I took my maiden name as my middle name).
#5 of 14 Old 03-24-2003, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Sharon, Go with Lucas! Its a cool name and if you want a nickname it has a great one - Luke. I like it cause it sounds kind of classic but also cool. Its still relatively uncommon though I think it is on the rise.......

If we have a girl, I really like Isabel
If we have a boy, I really like Gabriel - but dh doesn't :-(

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#6 of 14 Old 03-25-2003, 10:15 AM

FirstTimeMom, those are the very same names we're thinking about this time, especially Isabel. (Hope my post doesn't scare you into thinking they're too common or anything).
#7 of 14 Old 03-25-2003, 01:30 PM

Sharon, I'm so jealous! Ever since I was 18 I wanted to name a boy Luke. I'm 36 now, married twice, and on my third pregnancy. Can you believe neither my first husband or my present wonderful DH even considered Luke for one second?
At least I've so far ended up with girls Love my girls!
We are considering Gabreil is this one is a boy.
#8 of 14 Old 03-25-2003, 01:49 PM

If this one is a boy he's going to be Xavier...we don't even have a second choice. For a girl I've always loved Jane as a middle name...if she was born today she would be Azalea Jane...but we're also tossing around Addison.
I think Seth would go really well with Lucas. I like the idea of having individual names for each child...I think my mother was into themes; I'm Jessica and I have sisters named Janetta, Jocelyn and Justine....all a little too similar.
#9 of 14 Old 03-25-2003, 03:05 PM

I know, I know, Luke IS a great name, but here's my hesitation...my uncle's dog is name Luke. Do I really want my kid and my uncle's dog to have the same name?! DH says it's no big deal since they live on the opposite coast as us, but we have a small extended family....I guess that's one way to pick a "family" name though! On the flip side, my husband is so funny. He wants to be able to say "Use The Force, Luke" when he's learning new things, like walking! We're not big Star Wars fans, but I think it could be a pretty cute thing between father and son....

Anyway, here are some other names that I've eliminated because a good friend just used them, but I like them - Benjamin and Anthony. Gabriel was our very first pick for a long time, but dh's brother's cat is Gabe (and they do live close by and BIL got upset when we told him we were considering Gabriel - "That's my CAT'S name!"). What's with the family pets having good names?!?!
#10 of 14 Old 03-25-2003, 03:36 PM

I love the name Gabriel!! That's not fair that it's taken by a cat! I got vetoed out of Sophie because my fiance once had a dog named Sophie.
#11 of 14 Old 03-25-2003, 06:49 PM

moral of this story: stick to Fido and Fifi for pet names!
So what do other people think. Am I crazy for being reluctant to pick Lucas/Luke because of my uncle's dog?
#12 of 14 Old 03-25-2003, 07:43 PM

Dogs don't live that long nor leave a lasting impression with more then a few people. I would go for it!
#13 of 14 Old 03-25-2003, 07:47 PM

If you love the name you should use it...especially if the dog lives across the country. I don't think it would be the end of the world to bear the name of a beloved family pet...my friend was named after her mother's cow and she ended up all right!!
#14 of 14 Old 03-26-2003, 06:05 PM

My daughter has met two dogs (one of them a distant family member's although we didn't know that when we named her) and was very impressed they had the same name as her! (Meg) There is also a road nearby called Meg Lane...

I don't think it matters. Lots of people do pick human names for their pets, so there's going to be some sharing...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page