> New Zealand SIDS Death Rate Decreases
>
> New statistics released by the New Zealand Ministry of
> Health show that the national rate of Sudden Infant
> Death Syndrome (SIDS) fell by 70% after an educational
> campaign in wrapping mattresses with special
> polyethelene covers was begun. The program began after
> research by a NZ scientist showed a link between SIDS
> and the toxic fumes emitted by mattresses.
>
> According to the statistics, NZ Maori babies are 10
> times more likely than NZ European (Pakeha) babies to
> die of SIDS.(2) Following the implementation of
> mattress-wrapping by the Pakeha community over the
> last eleven years (with an 85% reduction in their SIDS
> rate), New Zealand has the highest inter-ethnic SIDS
> disparity of any country in the world.
>
> In contrast to the US and UK, where back sleeping has
> been adopted as a method to prevent crib death, New
> Zealand began to publicize mattress-wrapping in 1994,
> with the practice widely adopted. Since then, the rate
> of deaths on unwrapped mattresses has continued to
> increase, while no deaths have been reported for
> babies sleeping on wrapped mattresses. Another
> advantage to this solution is that babies can sleep in
> a variety of positions and not suffer from
> plagiocephaly, or flattened heads.
>
> The results of the New Zealand mattress-wrapping
> program have been published in two peer-reviewed
> journals of environmental medicine(3) and far exceed
> the results of any other SIDS prevention program in
> the world.
>
> Notes
>
> Source of statistics: New Zealand Ministry of Health
> (final statistics to 2001; provisional statistics for
> 2002 and 2003; progress counts for 2004 and 2005).
> NZ Maori SIDS rate: 2.0 deaths per 1000 live births;
> NZ European/Pakeha SIDS rate: 0.2 deaths per 1000 live
> births.
> Journal of Nutritional & Environmental Medicine
> 2004;14(3): 221-232. Zeitschrift fuer Umweltmedizin
> 2002; 44: 18-22.
> For further information, see: www.cotlife2000.co.nz
>

arlecchina's Avatar arlecchina 06:13 PM 08-09-2006
it isnt new, but I am glad you posted it, I had neglected to do so and havent seen anything about it on here some to think of it

more info: http://www.healthychild.com/cribdeathcause.htm
Quagmire's Avatar Quagmire 06:23 PM 08-09-2006
Well that was news to me!

So it seems from the article the pp posted that the US is unwilling to jump on the NZ bandwagon and admit that mattresses are at least part of the problem... does that mean crib mattresses in the US aren't wrapped or otherwise modified to prevent gases from leaking out?
toddlermama16's Avatar toddlermama16 06:37 PM 08-09-2006
That's very interesting. So, if you wrap your mattress, (or buy a nice organic one), and put baby to sleep on it's back, you should be good to go!
snowbird25ca's Avatar snowbird25ca 07:49 PM 08-09-2006
I'd seen some of that info before but it looks like the statistics were updated in 2005 so it's nice to see an official source... my original source had been the site that sold the stuff to wrap the mattress.

I believe the contention is that the stuff used to treat crib mattresses and make them flame resistant and inhibit the growth of dust mites and stuff leaves fumes that escape over time and can be toxic if a baby is sleeping on his tummy and inhales them. So the back to sleep campaign has kind of solved the problem because babies noses aren't as close to the mattress as they would be with tummy sleeping.

The purported advantage to mattress wrapping is that baby can sleep on his tummy without concern. I've never looked into it any further than that though...
arlecchina's Avatar arlecchina 08:21 PM 08-09-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
Well that was news to me!

So it seems from the article the pp posted that the US is unwilling to jump on the NZ bandwagon and admit that mattresses are at least part of the problem... does that mean crib mattresses in the US aren't wrapped or otherwise modified to prevent gases from leaking out?
CORRECT.

I think some companies make a cover like in NZ. but mostly we have to wrap them ourselves. and they refuse to educate. I was shocked the whole world doesnt know this yet
WildinTheory's Avatar WildinTheory 09:38 PM 08-09-2006
I've really be struggling with this one. I had heard of this a number of years ago before I became pregnant. It's just about time to buy a crib mattress and I'm having such a hard time with it. Knowing the potential harm I'd really like to go organic but the expense is making that hard. There is even a local company that makes organic mattresses but at almost $400... What I can't seem to figure out is how to rate the risk. A freshly painted nursery, carpeting, etc. I guess I could wrap it, but it just seems wrong to have the toxic mattress in the first place. I'm very torn.
AmieV's Avatar AmieV 09:52 PM 08-09-2006
so can you wrap an adult mattress? How do you do that?
BonanzaJellybean's Avatar BonanzaJellybean 10:42 PM 08-09-2006
I ordered a mattress cover for the co-sleeper that we plan to use for the first few months after I read this info when I was in the middle of my pregnancy (I am at the end now). It is pretty much a plastic bag, but it gave me some peace of mind. I had a little trouble getting it, and ended up getting a call from Dr. Sprott himself after I emailed in a complaint! I certainly think that he has a valid point that many SIDS deaths could be caused by toxic gasses, but I personally think that many of the deaths labeled SIDS could also come from other causes (such as vaccination injury and undiagnosed spinal injury from death). It makes me sick that the mattresses in this country are so filled with toxic crap -- as though breathing chemicals is so much less important than the chance of baby's mattress bursting into flames. The one criticism that I have of Dr. Sprott's work is that he refuses to address bed sharing. I know that I will have my baby in bed with me sometimes, probably for some of every night. Dr. Sprott says that adult mattresses have the same toxins in them as crib mattresses, but refuses to have any conversations (as far as I can see) with parents who want to protect the baby from those toxins except for saying not to bring baby into your bed. That bothers me, because of all the other benefits of co-sleeping. I wish I knew this info before we purchased our mattress, but I am not about to go get another one :

As for crib mattresses, I also thought most of the organic mattresses were WAY overpriced and most of them were not even waterproof! I ended up getting one of these mattresses, which seemed more reasonably priced (about $200) and is guaranteed to be free of the chemicals that Dr. Sprott talks about:

http://www.naturepedic.com/

I think as parents, we just have to use our intuition about what is safe for our baby. For some of us, I think that means keeping our baby close, even if our mattress has some chemicals in it. For the times when baby is alone, however, it seems like keeping toxins away is a good step to take, if only for peace of mind.
arlecchina's Avatar arlecchina 12:06 AM 08-10-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV
so can you wrap an adult mattress? How do you do that?
scroll down a lil, it tells you how, it's not expensive, you need the sheeting and some duct tape

http://www.cure-guide.com/Natural_He...ng___sids.html

some good info in general here too: http://www.healthychild.com/cribdeathcause.htm

PS: the to above poster: you can wrap an adult mattress the same way.
Summerland's Avatar Summerland 05:13 AM 08-10-2006
Thanks for the info!! I really want to wrap my bed and the bassinette
sprout 1's Avatar sprout 1 10:57 AM 08-10-2006
welll we just bought a new bed and I'm kinda freaking out here... all 4 of us will be sleeping in it. We also got an expensive mattress protector (waterproof) that doesn't feel like you're laying on plastic, and in that one article it says not to use those. I wonder why? I really don't want to sleep on drop-cloth plastic, yuck, but I guess I'll have to talk to dh about it now.
BlueIrises's Avatar BlueIrises 01:23 PM 08-10-2006
I am so thankful to have read this article. I didn't see in the article where it said the waterproof mattress covers were a bad idea too...which article had that?

So now I am left wondering about all baby bedding stuff...do all baby bedding products have these chemicals in them? Are all baby bedding products made fire retardant? In regards to chemicals, should I be concerned with the comforter/bumper/sheet set that I bought? Aren't baby pajamas made flame retardant up until a certain size, should I be concerned about these items too? My mind is now spinning...

Thanks ladies!

Have a healthy day!
guestmama9924's Avatar guestmama9924 01:33 PM 08-10-2006
okay I read that study when it was published, in one of my classes, and I believe that part of it was a correlation, not a cause. In other words, while using the wrapping, parents paid more attention to sleep surfaces, and also stopped using sheep skins which were previously linked with sids deaths. I will go back and read it again, I think it is the same one.
zjande's Avatar zjande 02:30 PM 08-10-2006
Wow. Somehow I missed this information entirely. I just searched around & found this great article, too:
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...Rate+Decreases

Geez. I had no idea!!
August's Mama's Avatar August's Mama 06:41 PM 08-10-2006
What do you all think about wool covers for the bed. Do you think they would prevent chemicals from seeping out? I was going to go to the surplus store and buy a few wool blankets to cover my beds with. I would love opinions.
Kat
riversong's Avatar riversong 07:26 PM 08-10-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIrises

So now I am left wondering about all baby bedding stuff...do all baby bedding products have these chemicals in them? Are all baby bedding products made fire retardant? In regards to chemicals, should I be concerned with the comforter/bumper/sheet set that I bought? Aren't baby pajamas made flame retardant up until a certain size, should I be concerned about these items too? My mind is now spinning...
Well, I'm not sure about all baby bedding, but I do know that pajamas don't have to be flame retardant. I make a point to by only cotton pjs for my dd. They have a tag on them that tells you they're not treated, so you have to buy them snug fitting. I don't spend a fortune on them either. I buy them at Target. In general, if you buy polyester pjs, they will be treated with the flame retardant chemicals. The "Just One Year" brand I buy starts at the 12 month size, I think. You can find cotton sleepers for younger babies also, though.

We bought a king sized organic cotton futon because we cosleep. We cover it with a pure wool pad to keep wetness away from the futon. I think sleeping on plastic would make you sweat like crazy, no? It was pricey, but less expensive than buying an organic mattress. I actually just ordered an organic twin futon for my dd, who will probably move into her own bed soon. I could've spent less on a cheap kids' mattress from Ikea, but I'm just worried about the chemicals in regular mattresses.
prettypixels's Avatar prettypixels 02:04 AM 08-11-2006
Sleeping on a thick layer of polyethylene sounds SO UNCOMFORTABLE! Seriously, are ALL mattresses treated this way? How do you know when you buy one whether it is or not? Organic mattresses are not??? I'm so confused. We are about to buy a new bed so I'd like to make sure I buy something that'll be safe for my whole family to sleep in.
arlecchina's Avatar arlecchina 05:13 AM 08-11-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels
Sleeping on a thick layer of polyethylene sounds SO UNCOMFORTABLE! Seriously, are ALL mattresses treated this way? How do you know when you buy one whether it is or not? Organic mattresses are not??? I'm so confused. We are about to buy a new bed so I'd like to make sure I buy something that'll be safe for my whole family to sleep in.
it likely varies country to country. when I get home (UK) my partner and I are getting futons so I have a mental note to check content tags. the flame retardation kinda interests me anyways, I mean, what's it to protect against? smoking in bed? and how many people are dumb enough to do that? how odd. and if I spontaneously combust, I dont think having a mattress treated will really help. considereing most deaths from fire are from smoke inhalation, not the fire so to speak, it seems weird to be treating mattresses with....arsenic.
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar MCatLvrMom2A&X 05:23 AM 08-11-2006
That is so neat. All 3 of us slept on a mattress covered in plastic because of leaks and my dd and ds did as well for the same reason up till coupla months when we moved them into our bed. and i put plastic under them to keep leaks form getting into the mattress.
ericswifey27's Avatar ericswifey27 05:25 AM 08-11-2006
thanks for the link

Oh I just noticed this thread was in the pregnacy section. Can it be posted elsewhere too. This is good info.
Yummymummy74's Avatar Yummymummy74 06:11 AM 08-11-2006
How does this affect waterbeds?
arlecchina's Avatar arlecchina 06:18 AM 08-11-2006
I cant find info on waterbeds! what are they made of? PVC seems bad from what I read.
mom2emerson's Avatar mom2emerson 02:35 PM 08-11-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels
All mattresses in the US are treated with chemicals because it is a requirement to make them flame retardant. :

Organic mattresses are chemical free because they are NATURALLY flame retardant because they use wool. You can also get all cotton futons (as opposed to a cotton/wool mix) but they are not flame retardant and in the US you need a doctor's note (seriously!!) but I heard you could get a chiro or any medical professional note. I heard IKEA did NOT use the chemicals but couldn't find the info on thier web site. I called customer service and was told in US they are still required to use chemicals but they aren't the usual ones...I asked them to send me the info and I never got it. :

I researched all this stuff when buying my 2 1/2 yr olds big girl mattress recently. The amount of chemicals is horrific, but the cost of organic IS enough to scare anyone away from buying organic!! I went with a "natural latex" mattress that was most cost efficient and she loves it (then again at 2 1/2 the floor would work just as well I think!!!).

I wish I had known about all this before we bought our new king mattress a few years ago and her crib mattress which will be passed on to this baby. The thought of plastic wrapping our mattress is very unappealing and my guess is the pillow-top would pretty much be lost under the plastic . No way can we afford a new one, but we use a co-sleeper so hopefully the toxins from our bed won't be too easily inhaled. Sigh.....

I think I WILL wrap the crib mattress though since is has a hard plastic kind of wrap anyway.

THere is a great thread on organic mattresses on "Natural Living" discussion board or just do a search on "organic mattress"-that is where I found alot of my info. It starts to become overwhelming... what about the sheets, and pillows...and...... My bank account doesn't allow for changing everything in our home but I made the changes that I thought would be most important and have the greatest affect on DD (Mattress and kapok pillow. I considered organic sheets but then I found a new chemical free sheet line at Bed, Bath & Beyond which was cheaper than regular sheets!).

I can only do so much and my head and budget would explode if I tried to change everything now.
indignantgirl's Avatar indignantgirl 08:14 PM 08-13-2006
We wrapped our mattresses (we co-sleep on a fullsize+queensize) with the last baby and it really wasn't all that bad. The worst part was the noise. We'd "rustle" when we moved. I imagine you could put an all-cotton blanket between the plastic and your sheet, to give your skin a little breathing room if the plastic makes you hot. It never bothered me but my husband would get sweaty.

We've been trying to justify the expense of organic mattresses and have decided that we'd replace our current ones with organic when they wear out. But hoo boy...it's a lot of money. Until then we'll wrap for at least the first year.
mamatoablessing's Avatar mamatoablessing 06:17 PM 08-14-2006
Does anyone have a link to an online source that sells crib mattress covers which block the allergens, molds, etc. I'd prefer just to buy a cover rather than wrap the mattress if possible.

Thanks!

ETA: I found this on the web...do you think this cover would work? http://www.matsmatsmats.com/kids/cri...protector.html
indignantgirl's Avatar indignantgirl 01:24 AM 08-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoablessing
ETA: I found this on the web...do you think this cover would work? http://www.matsmatsmats.com/kids/cri...protector.html
It says it's breathable, which I'd think would mean that the chemical gas from the mattresses would breath through.

The articles I've read regarding this study used to have some links of where to get the covers.

Wrapping is a lot easier than it sounds. We got the polythene from Lowes or Home Depot for around $8, stretched it over the top and sides and ran the tape from the bottom of one side to the other, and from top to bottom.

DH doesn't want to spring for an organic mattress right now (although I'm still working on him) so we may end up wrapping again and getting an organic mattress topper to put over the polythene to make it more comfortable. The toppers are cheap compared to the mattresses!
Kate39's Avatar Kate39 10:08 PM 10-18-2006
I think mattress wrapping is ridiculous. You want a crib mattress that does not have chemicals in it in the first place and that is also waterproof. Go to the following website: www.naturepedic.com and check out the waterproof organic crib mattress. The surface is actually made out of food grade polyethylene, which is the safest known plastic (that's why they use it for food contact). It also has organic cotton inside (no foam!) and a non-toxic fire barrier system. There is no need to wrap this mattress.

Also, I might just add that wool and latex are not the best materials to have around a baby. Both of these are known to cause baby allergies. Some wool is also known to naturally contain antimony, arsenic, and phosphorus, exactly the chemicals implicated in the New Zealand study. Do the research before buying a crib mattress.
summerlilies's Avatar summerlilies 11:53 PM 10-18-2006
We co-sleep in a king size mattress on the floor -- I don't think wrapping it would help because the gases can't escape down.

I think my options are to buy a new organic mattress or move our existing mattress off the floor and wrap it? Can anyone think of an alternate solution for us? TIA!
prettypixels's Avatar prettypixels 01:10 AM 10-19-2006
Here's a link to a less expensive organic mattress...
http://yhst-16119292247686.stores.ya...iafbainma.html
$200, vs. $400. I know that's still a lot, but it is better!

So, what about the dust mites and things? With an organic mattress would you then need to wrap the mattress to prevent dust mites anyways??? Because we know inhaling dust mites isn't healthy... though perhaps less dangerous than inhaling mattress fumes. What about a mattress you've had for a while? I mean if baby sleeps in our mattress which we bought a few years ago, do you think there are still gases coming out of it that could harm her?
1 2 

Up