Need advice: How to drink raspberry leaf tea? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2003, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my raspberry leaf tea came in the mail, and there it was, just a sack of loose leaf pieces.

Forgive my uncultured self, but can somebody please explain to me how to prepare it? Such as, how much tea leaves do I need for each cup I prepare? How long should I let it steep?
Etc.

Thanks,
Hypatia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2003, 08:51 PM

Your MW can tell you how much she wants you to drink. I put my leaves in a tea ball - usually 2-3 tablespoons of tea for 4 cups of water and steep for 30-60 minutes. Towards the end of my pregnancy I made it stronger and drank more.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 03-24-2003, 09:35 PM

I used a tea ball as well. You can also put the loose leaves in a coffee maker, using the ratio kerikadi mentioned. I drank one to two cups a day during my pregnancy. I mixed it with peppermint in the summer and drank it as an iced tea.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

Old 03-25-2003, 12:44 AM

I use a french press. Just put in two big spoonfuls and cover with boiling water, partially press and let steep about an hour. I drink two cups, and put the rest in the fridge for the next day, since sometimes I don't have an hour to let it steep. I reheat it on the stovetop, never microwave. I use a teaspoon of honey or *gasp* sugar to sweeten. Quite soothing. I tried drying my own last year, but for some reason the Compleat mother tea is so much tastier, so I'll just stay a consumer instead of a producer Enjoy!
Old 03-25-2003, 06:29 AM

Wow - I'm surprised at how long you are steeping it! The Traditional Medicinals tea bags I have say to steep for 10 minutes. The loose tea I usually use (approx 1 tsp/cup in a mesh tea ball) gets about as strong as I like it after a couple of minutes. I usually give it about 5. Maybe that's why some people need to sweeten it - it must be quite bitter after that long using that much tea.
I'll try to remember to ask my MW about it at the next appt.
Then again, I never drank it at all last time, so anything's better than nothing. Can you remind me what it's supposed to do? Because unless it's going to make it less painful, I'm not sure why I'm drinking it :.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
Old 03-25-2003, 04:02 PM

Have you thought about making an infusion. I drank raspberry leaf infusion throughout pregnancy #1 and my midwife suggested I do it again this time. You can take an ounce of the dried leaves (about a handful) and let it steep (covered) in one quart of water for about 4 hours. Then drain out the leaves and drink. I learned how to do this from the book "Wise Woman Herbal" by Susan Weed.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all of your responses! They were very helpful!

Hypatia
Old 03-25-2003, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by julieshayna
"Wise Woman Herbal" by Susan Weed.
I just want to say that this is a wonderful book and I recommend it.

http://www.susunweed.com/z16%20books_sw.htm#cby
Old 03-25-2003, 11:52 PM

raspberry leaf tea has a lot of calcium, iron, and other minerals. it's good to steep it for a long time so you can get the most medicinal properties out of the herb. it also tones the uterine muscles, ensuring a healthy pregnancy/postpartum, and it's been known to help with morning sickness. It's such a great herb for pregnancy, and another great herb to combine it with is nettles, which is full of iron and minerals, very very good to use at all times!
hmm, i think i'll make a cup of tea...
Old 03-25-2003, 11:53 PM

oh yeah, and the susun weed book for pregnancy was my bible during mine, and also postpartum. lots of great info and recipes!
Old 03-26-2003, 05:23 AM

I've heard that raspberry leaf tea is pretty sensitive to heat, so cool your boiling water a bit to keep the yummy vitamins, calcium, etc in the tea and not burned off. I've also heard not to use it during the first trimester (could unstablize a pregnancy) and to discontinue use if pitocin might be used or you have precipitous (very fast) labor.

{How do I know, I've got two wonderful kids at home, two in heaven and started seeing a homeopath who is a Dr. plus her deceased hubby mentored my current wonderful Dr. I'm off it now, but retaining more water as we approach my due date. My hubby and I will not go over due date as first daughter was a full-term stillbirth, I have very fast labors once my water breaks, but we are uncertain if I need pitocin and don't want to harm myself or new son with a rough labor as pit and rasp will cause a tough one. Rasp. stays in your system about a week and interfers/enhances hormones.]
Old 03-26-2003, 06:54 PM

I used raspberry leaf tea in both my pregnancies but only after 34 weeks because I was told that it was not safe to use before this. So I was surprised to hear it could be used throughout the pregnancy and for morning sickness.

I have to say I hated the taste but I'm pretty sure it helped me have two natural deliveries, no stitches. (but a LOT of braxton hicks with DD2!)
Old 03-26-2003, 09:17 PM

Momma 2 4--no raspberry in the first trimester? Uh oh. I hadn't heard that before.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Raspberry leaf tea should be safe during the first trimester. However, it might stimulate utering activity, resulting in spotting, which might make you nervous.

I think there are some links between trimester 1 use and miscarriage, but they are discredited. Not that there's a lot of research on this.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:19 AM

For those of you who drink this, where do you buy it?
Old 03-27-2003, 12:25 AM

I get mine from the Complete Mother web site. Like I said, I tried drying my own, but it just wasn't the same, it was kind of bitter. Complete Mother tea never gets bitter, no matter how long I steep it.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:21 PM

I put a handful of tea in my teapot (my teapot's capacity is 5-6 cups I think) and I add boiling water. After 10 minutes (or up to a couple of hours if I forget about it!) I pour some tea into a teacup and drink warm with a dash of brown sugar. Then I pour the remainder into a pitcher to drink cold. When I drink it cold I drink it without brown sugar/sweetener. I don't find it bitter and it's the only herb tea I drink without some sort of sweetener. It's also the only tea my kids will drink!

I make a pot every day to every other day.

I am 30 weeks 4 days.

*I drink The Tea from Compleat Mother (http://www.compleatmother.com/tea_company.htm). My DH was alarmed when he saw several plastic bags in the crisper and he asked me when I started my pot habit! LOL! Normally I keep the tea in a tin in the fridge so he's never seen it before!)

Warmly,
Debra
Old 04-03-2003, 06:31 PM

I am NOT a tea person. YUCK!

I did try to get a cup of rasbery leaf tea down today. After the gagging subsuded I thought that I would ask my wise MMB friends for advice.

Any tips?
Old 04-03-2003, 06:43 PM

averysmom,

My m/w has always had me take red raspberry capsules. Think most health food store have them. Much easier to take, and need be, you can get alot more down, besides you are not having to worry about the water being to hot and ruining the nutrients.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:02 PM

momto l&a-

Great idea! I didn't know that a capsule form existed!
Old 04-14-2003, 12:55 AM
Banned

In one of the pregnancy books I have, it says that pregnant women should not drink herbal tea. But I read that after I tried the red raspberry leaf tea. It also said I should consult a doctor before, but do I really need to?
I bought two ounces of it from an herbal store anyway and it was in loose form. However, it's been laying in the back window of the car for about three weeks now (I KNEW I misplaced it but couldn't find it). It should still be okay, right?
So I should not use boiling water (or too-boiling water)? And using it in loose form, is the longer it steeps the better? I never noticed it tasting bad, so I won't mind drinking it if it's strong, but I just want to know how much better it will be 'nutrient-wise'.
I also read online that it is recommended one cup a day in the first trimester, two cups a day in the second and three in the third. Is this correct or do I have it backwards?
Old 04-14-2003, 01:24 AM

IMO and IME, rasberry tea is beneficial through out the childbearing year. We made huge pitchers of it when I was pregnant w/ds and dd, dh and I all drank it. It is also great for diarrhea, etc. I give it to dd when she's sick. I don't see why you should consult a dr. It is probably just a CYA thing. Dr's in general don't know that much about things like herbs and are very skeptical. It has been used for a long time.

IME, I had to make myself drink it every day in early pregnancy (Not that it tasted bad, just didn't really want it) and then later on, COULD NOT get enough of it. I felt like it went straight into my cells! I feel very strongly that it was highly beneficial to me and babe. Interestingly, right after birth, the craving was gone!
Also FWIW, I wouldn't put it in a coffee maker as the tea wouldn't get to steep long enough. The water goes through the fliter fairly quickly. The tea needs to stay in contact w/the water longer, IMO. And also I believe that letting it float around &b straining is better than a tea ball....though I used both methods. Also make sure it is covered while steeping.
Heat may damage the tea making it *less* effective, but won't ruin it or anything, Apple. You want to store tea away from light, heat and moisture just like spices or coffee. I kept the bulk of mine in the freezer. And yes, ITA, compleat mother tea rocks!! I tried numerous other brands, but CM blew them all away!! Much better and much more "alive!" good luck.

User Tag List