Need your opinions-QUICK!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-24-2003, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am scheduled for an US tomorrow at 1:00. All of my other pg and births were very medicalized, ie US, tests, monitering..... We are planning a HB this time and using wonderful midwives. So far, I have done nothing. Well, we used the doppler to hear the HB but that was it. I have not had bllod tests or anything.

Anyway, my question is, should I have the US or not. Give me your own personal reasons why you think so. Dh is wonderful and said it is totally up to me. This is from the man who would never have even considered HB 2 years ago and was so brainwashed with western medicine, it was pathetic. Now he feels that there is not really a reason for the US so only if I want to. I am 100% low risk. I am 27, twins do not run in the family, no GD, no birth defects in the family, have had 4 healthy labors and deliveries.......

Please help me decide. I am really stumped.:
#2 of 18 Old 03-24-2003, 08:23 PM

I didn't feel like it was necessary with our first... so didn't do it.
Everything was fine, and continued to go fine.

When I was pregnant with our second, I was convinced that this was a girl. When it was time for the mw to ask if we wanted an u/s, I was suddenly not sure about *not* wanting one. I noticed I was hestitating, reluctant to say no, and not overly eager to say yes. I tried to sit with it for a while, then I realized that I couldn't say "no" with conviction, so I went for it. We found out that I was carrying a boy. I don't know if my "intuition" might have changed during the last half of pregnancy, but I sure would have been shocked to find that this would be a boy. Now at least I had twenty weeks to adapt to that idea, otherwise I would have had to adapt to it instantly. I was *so* sure it was a girl, that suddenly holding a boy would have hurt.
So in a way I'm grateful that I was on the fence about it, that I decided to have one done. But if I am feeling a strong "no" next time, I won't do it. I go with what I am feeling.

I would say, from what you are writing, that you are not particularly inclined to have an u/s. Or at least, that practically speaking there shouldn't be a need. But how does that sit with you internally? Would you be okay with not having one? Having an u/s is not like having an amnio done. It's not invasive, even though we don't know yet what the u/s's side effects are.

Go with what you can sit peacefully with. If you say yes, and you still feel that you need to have it done after you say yes, then go with it. If you say yes, and you can't back it up, then leave it for now. If you say no, and that makes you feel uncomfortable, then go for it, have it done. If you say no, and you feel good about it, then you have backed out already anyway. Perhaps you can "practice" on your dh... tell him "yes" or "no". Not to see what happens to him in his reaction, but to see what it does for *you*.

Good luck in making a decision.
#3 of 18 Old 03-24-2003, 08:33 PM

I was totally low risk and young with my first, so did not get one. With my second I had diabetes and was 6 years older, so I did take a couple quick peeks, but still did not have a full US until I was in labor (loooong story!). I don't feel they are necessary routinely or for low risk women. Try Midwifery Today's website. They have some good info on ultrasounds.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#4 of 18 Old 03-24-2003, 08:36 PM

I also did not get an ultrasound with my ds it was my second preg. and I did some research and felt it was not neccesary. My reasons were if they did find something wrong with the baby there is very little they could do while I was carrying to correct the situation and I was not going to find out the sex. I did some research it has been over 2 years and some of the things I found out were interesting with regards to ultasounds. ! they were never meant to be given to women for every preg. they were not supposed to be part of your routine care, it was for women who were at risk for certain things. and 2 since ultrsounds have been used as part of routine prenatal care it has not made the mortality rate any better. But all that being said it really is something you have to feel right with. At first it was a bold step for me to decline it, my previos preg. I had about 5 ultrasounds so this was a total turn around like you when using my midwives I did not have any testing done and I felt really good about all the choices we made. Talk to your midwives and see how they feel about ultrasounds what is there opnion on them. Also I did alot of my research on the web. Hope you get some more insight. Take care.
#5 of 18 Old 03-24-2003, 09:23 PM

Tough decision, isn't it? I'm pregnant with our first. I'm 26 going on 27 and have no family history of birth defects, etc. So it sounds like we're in a similar situation...except you've had a couple kids already! Anyway, my midwifes said that it's completely up to me...that US's are great diagnostic tools if there is a problem, but in most cases it's just to help the parents bond with the baby or find out the sex. We had decided not to find out the sex and my husband said he didn't feel like a fuzzy picture on a screen would help him bond, so it was completely my decision. I don't have super strong feelings one way or the other, but I figured I would skip it unless I suddenly had a HUGE desire to see the baby or my gut (or the midwife) started to tell me something was wrong. We've heard the heartbeat and I feel it squirming around in there. I'm convinced everything is fine. I agree with whizzie, tell yourself "no" and see how you feel about it. If it doesn't sit well with you, tell yourself "yes" and see how you feel. The only irritating thing about not getting one done is that "everyone" thinks it's really strange....but I can deal with that.
#6 of 18 Old 03-24-2003, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think I am going to do it. I have really been questioning it and to me that means I am not comfortable doing it. I can always do it later if I feel the need right? I have been so content with the non medical way this pg has progressed. I am also not so focused on it that it makes me crazy the way I was with the other ones. I am enjoying being pg and am excited about the thought of a new little one, but before it almost seemed to consume me, KWIM? Maybe it is the non medical, maybe because it is #5, who knows. But I am enjoying it.

As for ppl thinking I am crazy, they already do. ild No one I know IRL has ever had a HB. I am the crazy one. : People I have told that I may not have an US have all said, but if there is something wrong, they (who are they?) can fix it in uetro. Now how often does that really happen? I know there have been some cases but it is not very common. At least not common enough to make me have an us for that reason alone.
#7 of 18 Old 03-24-2003, 11:29 PM

Just to add...There has been some question as to whether US are completely safe or not. Some studies have indicated a relationship between impared hearing development, inner ear development, and US.

I think you need to weigh the risks and options you have. Also ask yourself what kind of information can be gathered from a US, in your particular case and determine if the risks are worth it.

There are instances where an US is a great tool and very helpful. There are also times where it is completely over used. Remember, there is almost always some risk with any medical intervention.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#8 of 18 Old 03-24-2003, 11:38 PM

I didn't want one, dh did, so I gave in to that. I didn't find out the sex, but it was actually quite reassuring to find out that my placenta is up nice and high, since i'm having a vbac, this will be one less thing to worry about. Besides, knowing all the vessels and organs were working just right felt good. I certainly don't want another one, but It feels good knowing everything is just dandy with the baby at this point, the rest is in God's hands
#9 of 18 Old 03-24-2003, 11:53 PM

Stephanie, I know what you mean for me there was something so calming and empowering about using my midwife and a practice that allowed me to make the decision about whether or not I wanted the Trible screen testing or the glucose test or the others that are done in an OB. I would go and research ask lots of questions and make informed and educated decisions about what I wanted done to me and my baby. I really think that this process of educating myself and feeling like I had some say in my prenatal care helped me mentally prepare for the birth of my 2nd child. It was a really wonderful experience.
#10 of 18 Old 03-25-2003, 02:09 AM
XM

I had several u/s's with Xiola because my doctor reccomended it. I did have one u/s this time at 17 weeks for my *own* peace of mind, I really needed to see that little body and that little beating heart after losing my daughter. After that u/s I felt a lot more confident in this pregnancy and have not felt the *need* (nor had any indication of needing) an u/s. For me, having that u/s was better then stressing and worrying about how the baby was, and it was worth it. But that was me.

If getting an u/s worries you more then *not* getting an u/s, then just don't get one. Honor what you're feeling about it, whatever that may be... if you feel the need for one you can always get one later.

XM
#11 of 18 Old 03-25-2003, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

I cancelled the appt. Dh and I talked about it some more last night and decided that right now, it just is not necessary. I am very comfortable with the decision and knowing that I can always schedule one for later if I feel the need.
Thanks again.
#12 of 18 Old 03-25-2003, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had my first at 40 weeks because I am having an UC and my doc was not sure what way the baby was (breech) so, I had a very very fast one- I would say less then 10 seconds- does that count? I am very anti US for normal healthy women and babies. I was reading in FIT PREGNANCY today- that I got from my doc office- about US. I am going to quote to you what it said:L

FIT PREGNANCY PG. 26 APRIL/MAY 2003

[PRENATAL] Ear-Splitting Noise

Fetuses may be disturbed by ultrasound test. In a study reported in the Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, researchers found that during the test, the fetus moved more reapidly and its heart rate rose. Ultrasound pulses create tapping forces when they hit fetal bones and tissue; these forces create a vibration that is preceived as a sound, say study author Mostafa Fatemi, Ph.D. Doctors and parents should not assume they are seeing the fetus in a natural state during ultrasound, he says. Rather, the ultrasound is a glimpse of the fetus being subjected to a loud noise. Addional research from the Mayo Clinic likened the sound to that of a jackhammer.- K.S.

Well, I called my mom and read it to her, because she was shocked that I was not excited about my 10 second US last week. She then says "well, you should have read that last week". What- she was the one that had to call everyone and tell them that I saw my babies head down! And she was the one that was so excited and now she is tring to make me feel guilty? I think US are a great tool, for sitiuations that demand them. In my case I was having an UC birth and I also have a brittle bone condition that made it very important that I know if my baby was head down. I would not have had one at all if my Doc could have felt the head. I have had a normal and healthy pregnancy and I believe that the baby will tell me in some way if I needed a full blown US. I say, trust your body!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#13 of 18 Old 03-25-2003, 06:19 PM

Hello! I know I will be getting one in a few weeks since I had an early m/c 3 months ago...I need the reassurance of seeing a heartbeat. THen I think I can relax a little and enjoy this pregnancy!! Just my 2 cents!!
#14 of 18 Old 03-25-2003, 07:36 PM

Hey all! Neat to see all this chat about US coming up this week! I think you need to do what feels best for you and not make decisions because it is "normal" or what everyone else is doing. Sounds like we've all made the best choices for ourselves. I'm happy to see that some info getting out about the pros/cons of US since it is seldomed even questioned in routine prenatal care. Good luck to all the mommas!
#15 of 18 Old 03-25-2003, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ndmom- you said it right on! It is seldom talked about and it is such a sad thing that most women never question things that are done to them. I don't mind if people do anything to their own body as long as they are educated on what they are doing.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#16 of 18 Old 03-25-2003, 11:43 PM

I'm only going to one US, next month at 18 weeks, on April 18th. I'm hoping to find out the gender then. I also have a midwife who's wonderful and she told me that there may be risks to doing it often and that's why we're only doing one so as not to overdose the fetus with waves.

Best of luck to ya! Decide what feels best for you, but I wouldn't go beyond one visit if you ask me.
#17 of 18 Old 03-26-2003, 08:29 PM

I'm glad that you made a decision that you're comfortable with for now. I would just like to add a thought. If you were having your baby in a hospital, I think the whole notion of getting an ultrasound because there are things they can fix in utero is pretty ridiculous--just seems like a lot of ifs. But for a home birth, there are a few conditions that can be seen on ultrasound that would be better delivered in the hospital. In no way do I mean to criticize your decision. I am ttc right now and would like to have a homebirth if I get pregnant. I have thought a lot about ultrasound with respect to home birth in particular and I am definitely not decided about it myself. My friend had her baby at home and she had a basic anatomy scan at 20 weeks at the request of her midwife. I don't know what I would do if I were pregnant, and if you are happy with your decision to skip it then I would say go with that. Best of luck with your pregnancy...
#18 of 18 Old 03-26-2003, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by naturegirl
Just to add...There has been some question as to whether US are completely safe or not. Some studies have indicated a relationship between impared hearing development, inner ear development, and US.

I think you need to weigh the risks and options you have. Also ask yourself what kind of information can be gathered from a US, in your particular case and determine if the risks are worth it.

There are instances where an US is a great tool and very helpful. There are also times where it is completely over used. Remember, there is almost always some risk with any medical intervention.

ITA. This is why I was leaning toward not having one at all. Young, healthy, low risk, etc.

But I have had ovarian cysts in the past and was worried about them. I was also worried about placenta previa even though I have no risk factors.

My contract with my midwife states that if I have to be transferred to the hospital after labor has already started, I do not get any refund of the fee we pay her. If I had placenta previa I WOULD have to deliver in the hospital, so I wanted to rule that out since it was *possible* to rule it out before labor started.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page