Who's had (or been to) a Blessingway? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-25-2003, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I'm NOT pregnant. (Sorry, just had to say that! My two boys are 33 months and 13 months old, and I ^think^ I'm done.)

I'm writing a book on blessingways. I've posted about it on the Spirituality board here and have gotten some great feedback ... but I'm always looking for more, especially at this stage of my writing.

If you've had a blessingway, been to one, or want one for yourself, I'd REALLY appreciate it if you'd look at this thread and post to it if you have anything to add. Thanks!

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...0&pagenumber=1

Luci
#2 of 2 Old 03-26-2003, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I REALLY dislike the traditional baby shower -- been to countless, and they are all embarrassing and boring. I'm sorry, but I just have never been able to appreciate the dumb games or making small talk or eating some crappy lard cake from the local supermarket or watching the mother open the umpteenth package of onesies and pacifiers. You know? These gatherings always leave me feeling very spiritually drained. And I had to be the guest of honor at two of them. Ugh.

In contrast, I've been to two blessingways to honor pregnant women, and they were both lovely. I'm not an outwardly spiritual or demonstrative person, so I shy away from "touchy-feely" or "woo-woo" type group gatherings, but these didn't have that feeling to them at all. They were very simple and informal and relaxed. At both we had a potluck brunch, then gave her our presents (meaningful objects of beauty -- for example, one time I took a photograph of the mother and applied some artsy photoshop effects and framed it) and explained the significance, if any. We had all brought beads to make her a "birth" necklace, and then we mehndi-ed her belly and our hands.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page