heartburn relief - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-28-2003, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had heartburn most evenings after dinner for a couple weeks now. (or any time after a BIG meal) I asked my midwife for suggestions and she said papaya extract pills work wonders. I ran over to Whole Foods and bought a bottle. NO problems since! I even had a BIG, spicey burrito for lunch today and feel no side effects other than feeling VERY full. I highly recommend them to anyone with heartburn!
#2 of 10 Old 03-28-2003, 09:22 PM

Aren't those great? I came here to recommend them, but I see you already are!
#3 of 10 Old 03-28-2003, 09:47 PM

They helped me for awhile, then in the 9th month it got so bad 24 hours a day that they didn't help anymore. What did help was a cup of warm milk with honey, cinnamon, and a tsp. of slippery elm bark mixed in. A miracle!
#4 of 10 Old 03-28-2003, 10:35 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes! I had NEVER in my life had acid reflux until my 8th month~YUCK . But the papaya really seems to do the trick. I'm not waking up at night anymore w/this. Now I just can't sleep because of carpal tunnel and I can't get comfy.

Hugs~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#5 of 10 Old 03-29-2003, 11:40 AM

I'm gonna run out and get some of those, both previous pg I suffered HORRIBLY with heartburn, I never have it any other time - but my goodness, the few months late in Pregnancy make up for the rest of my LIFE of not having it.

THANKS
#6 of 10 Old 03-29-2003, 11:53 PM

It's the first time I ever ger heartburn too. I found that one Tums really helps.. and fast. Plus it has calcium.

Good luck!

#7 of 10 Old 03-31-2003, 12:24 PM

I got some of the papaya enzymes but, for whatever reason, they didn't put a dent in my heartburn So I find myself pooping the tums. Maybe I'll try some of that slippery elm bark. With my first pregnancy starting at about 6 months I could only snack all day, no real meals that was the only thing that helped at all. This time I still have a voracious appetite and I'm almost 6 1/2 months along.

"I got 99 problems, but the truth ain't one." - Stephen Colbert
#8 of 10 Old 03-31-2003, 12:25 PM

Of course I meant to say POPPING tums not POOPING

"I got 99 problems, but the truth ain't one." - Stephen Colbert
#9 of 10 Old 03-31-2003, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Miranda, I laughed at that typo!!! My midwife said you can take as many papaya pills as you need to...take them after the meal....and another suggestion was to only drink before or after eating, not at the same time. That's a hard one for me, but it seems to help a little. Good luck, heartburn is horrible! Thank goodness it's only a pregnancy problem for me!!
#10 of 10 Old 03-31-2003, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

just wanted to share what I did last night. We had curry for dinner (I'm such a sucker for spicey food even though I know it's usually painful afterwards!). I dished up a normal amount, ate half, popped (not pooped!) some papaya pills, went for a 45 minute walk, came home, ate the rest of the meal, took some more pills and I had NO heartburn! It was shocking! I was sure the spicey curry was going to be a regretable choice for dinner, but it sounded so good! I'm thinking the two small dinners, the pills and the exercise helped with digestion. Controlling heartburn just might be the motivation I need to get in better shape!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page