Itchy Nipples! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-29-2003, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Boohoo! My nipples have been so itchy for the past month or so! I never really got any of the other pregnant itchies, just my nipples, and I really don't soap them at all, moisturizer doesn't seem to help much either!

Any thoughts/suggestions/commisseration?

Eekers! I look sort of silly walking around scratching them all the time!
#2 of 6 Old 03-29-2003, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Itchy nipples always make me think of yeast problems....you might want to talk to your doc or midwife about whether this could be a yeast imbalance already.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 6 Old 03-29-2003, 02:50 AM

Hi! Sometimes exposure to sunlight for a short period daily can help reduce itchy nipples. If you suspect yeast, eating yougurt daily and swabbing the breast areolas with white vinager on a cotton ball once or twice a day can help. Also, going braless whenever possible can help reduce the moist, sweaty environment around the nipple and discourage yeast or bacteria.

Just one of those fun surprises of pregnancy... if it turns out to be yeast, reducing sugar intake can be helpful too...

The Lord bless you!
Zoie
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Godsbabycatchers
#4 of 6 Old 03-29-2003, 02:56 AM

I had this big time with Fiona (though not this time, maybe because she still nurses?).

The only thing that seemed to help was lubing them up with lanolin/lasinoh. I don't know why that worked, since they weren't dry or cracked and I don't believe it's supposed to help itching, but hey....I was about ready to find a stucco house to rub up and down on at that point.
#5 of 6 Old 03-29-2003, 12:33 PM

I had that terribly with my first! I used chapstick for a while and then some Lansinoh when I got some as a gift at my shower, and it seemed to do the trick. Make sure you don't have any fragrancy-stuff on your bras like fabric softener, rinse them twice after you wash them, and no soap on your breasts!
#6 of 6 Old 03-30-2003, 02:25 AM

I had this too really bad w/my first preg. and used per the midwives advice, calendula spray. worked pretty well but be careful because it can stain clothes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page