my lack of hunger seems to concern midwife - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2003, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much do you all eat? I'll be 14 weeks this week, and, while my appetite has picked up some since around 11 weeks, not very much. I eat when I'm hungry and I'm just not that hungry. Today, for instance, I've had 1 piece of toast on whole wheat, 1 bean burrito, and that's it. It's 6:30 and we haven't had dinner yet. I have a cold, so that has something to do with it.
I do usually eat more than this, but not the small 6 meals a day that midwife said I should "just make myself" eat.
We are supposed to write down everything we eat for a week, and I've been analyzing everything that goes into my mouth, and I feel like I'll never be able to keep up with all the nutrients I'm supposed to feed my baby.
MW is concerned that I didn't gain anything in the first trimester, which I thought was normal.
Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I just make myself eat? Anyone else going through this? Oh yeah, I do take prenatal vitamins.
Thanks,
ML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2003, 11:35 PM

I felt just like you about when I was as pregnant as you!

Obviously, weight gain is an important thing in pregnancy...but most weight is gained in the 2nd and 3rd tris.

I would wager the best thing you could do now is make sure that your lack of appitite is GENUINE, and not related to other dietary influences. I would guess that your lack is probably genuine, like mine was--and I was very happy at around 15 weeks, the appitite started to kick in.

(I had been worried, because all I could remember about my 1st pregnancy was eating entire 18-inch cheese pizzas solo....fogetting that I wasn't doing that at 14 weeks, but at 36 weeks!!!)

One thing that can dampen the appitite is not eating breakfast. "eat breakfast, eat breakfast......." that's all ANYONE ever shouts, for anyone--those trying to loose weight OR gain weight!

I know that when I do eat some breakfast, I have more appitite throughout the day. So maybe something else with your morning toast would be helpful...a glass of juice, some peanut butter on the toast?

Your bean burrito is a protien-packed food, so that will stay in your system and keep you sated for a while.

Candy and sugary stuff can trick you into feeling sated and not hungry, so be aware about that & make sure that's not what's causing your lack of appitite.

I would think you'll be fine, and I'd give your body a couple of weeks to get ready, and then you'll be ready to pack in the chow.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:45 PM

I was also not very hungry in my first trimester. It was more my taste buds than anything, nothing really appealed to me. Still sort of feel that way. I've started making myself two smoothie style drinks/day with a vegetarian protein powder in it. Makes me feel good, and I really enjoy them.
I put one frozen yogurt container, one banana, some blueberries, strawberries and the powder...and some soy milk. Very yummy and very FILLING.
Good luck!

Mamasoleil
Old 03-30-2003, 12:49 AM

I can completely relate. It seems like as soon as I get pregnant, I totally lose my appetite, but for me, it has lasted through the whole pregnancy!

What I do to continue to gain wait and get the nutrition I need, is to make sure what I DO eat is high in everything I need. For example, I'm sure to eat whole milk yogurt, assuming I could use the extra fat at this time. And I pack myself full of nuts all day--trying to get some extras in!

And I definitely agree about breakfast! A hearty breakfast definitely sets a tone for eating well for the rest of the day.

Good luck to you! I hope you have lots of healthy food cravings soon!

User Tag List