Big babies means that gestational diabetes is a risk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2006, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just went to my first prenatal appointment (at a clinic for under-insured women since I haven't started my new job yet) at 18.5 weeks. The CNM tells me that I need 2 diabetes tests during my pregnancy because my first child was 8lbs 12 ozs. After learning his bw she said I am at risk for gestational diabetes. Then she asked how much weight I gained which is 42 lbs but I was 120 when I got PG. I also lost 26 of it in the 1st 6 weeks and did get rid of the rest within the 1st 6 months after my ds was born. What do you guys think? Have you ever heard this before? She said it is possible that they "missed" the diabetes. This is why I have to be tested TWICE!

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2006, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Needed to post because I forgot to subscribe.

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first baby was 8 pounds, 9 ounces. My second baby was 9 pounds, 10 ounces. I declined the GD test both times because I believe the test is very flawed. There was no problem either time.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:49 AM

I hope someone else will respond to this who is better informed on GD and who can point Aywilkes to the necessary resources and information, but I just had to weigh in, because the CNM's suggestions alarmed me. Based on what I've been told by several CPMs, there's no basis for suspecting a problem, including her 1st child's birth weight. Also, tests for GD are incredibly unreliable, and can lead to a host of needless interventions without improving outcomes. Can anyone back me up on this?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:01 AM

Old 09-07-2006, 01:27 AM

google henci goer and gd

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:19 AM

Old 09-07-2006, 04:15 AM

I have heard that big babies can mean GD but when it was told to me big was 10-12 pounders, not an 8 pound baby.
Wendi
Old 09-07-2006, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I took random finger stick glucose tests during my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies rather than taking the glucose tolerance test. my levels were normal but my babies were 9 lbs.1 oz. and 10 lbs. 2 oz. respectively.
A big baby does not = GD and I don't actually believe in this "disease" at all because glucose levels naturally rise in the third trimester and it's NORMAL!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:21 AM

My 1st was 9 lbs, my 2nd was 1 month early and weighed 8lbs 7oz. I expressed my concern to my ob about having a big baby the 2nd time around, but she just said to limit the amount of carbs and sweets. It obviously didn't work. I had low blood sugar levels during my 1st pg, normal-low levels during my 2nd. I'm now pg with my 3rd, and we've all accepted the fact that it's going to be another big baby, probably bigger. Diabeties runs in my family, and I'm 25lbs overweight, but I've never developed them, and my ob has never said anything about me being at an increased risk.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:17 AM

I wouldn't worry so much about having a 8lb, 7oz baby. To be honest, that sounds to me well within the 'normal' range and not particularly 'big' at all. Also, size can very so much from woman to woman. I had GD and my baby was 6 lbs, 7 oz (carried past 40wks). My cousin did NOT have GD and her baby was 10 lbs, 9 oz. Go figure!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Uncontrolled GD can lead to an unusually big (for that woman) baby, and "they" define big in this case (called "macrosomia") to be anything more than 8 lbs 13 oz. So technically, your baby was right under the "macrosomia" limit.

But seriously, 8 lbs 12 oz is not unusually huge or anything, and I would not suspect GD just because you had that size baby. And many women naturally grow big babies (including 12+ lbs). Big baby doesn't necessarily mean GD, but they do like to test for GD if you've had a big baby because a big baby *can* be caused by uncontrolled GD. I don't see any reason to test you twice though, based on an 8 lb 12 oz baby. Technically, by "their" definition, your baby was not "big".

And like PPs, I've declined the GTT altogether and tested my own blood sugar at home instead. I probably grow similar sized babies to yours (my DS #1 came early, but was big for his gestation... DS #2 is measuring ahead in size as well, both u/s weight and fundal height, and dates are correct). I also have a diabetic father and diabetic uncles. I started out pregnancy 50 lbs overweight. I have risk factors for GD. But based on my blood sugar testing at home, I very obviously don't have GD - my blood sugar has ranged from 91-95 2 hours post-meal, even with very diabetic-unfriendly foods. And it makes sense that I might have a 9 lb baby... my DH was 8.5 lbs 2 weeks early, and he's 6'5" now. I'm 5'9". Our babies aren't going to be short, and length adds weight! Also, I have a build that easily supports a bigger baby, so that's what my body grows!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 09-07-2006, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

So did all of you guys get tested for GD? I wonder if you have to drink that sugar drink or if I can just get glucose pricks...I'll have to check into that.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Banned

My first child was 8lbs 9oz. I was 130lbs then.

However I've gained almost 100lbs. I was 230 when my DS was born. He was 9lbs 4oz.

I declined all prenatal testing with my son, including the GTT. I felt there was no need for it. I did however have a glucometer b/c I have hypoglycemia (actually PCOS, where hypoglycemia is a symptom). I would randomly test my blood sugar throughout my pregnancy and never once was it "high". I have a hard time keeping my blood sugar at about 100.

So I would like to know what caused my "big babies". LOL. Definately wasn't GD.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:43 PM

I was tested for gd with both previous pg's and the results were "borderline" So that meant to my dr's I was high risk and was diagnosed with gd. I never had any issues with uncontrolled blood sugar. What it meant for me was more frequent dr. visits, visits to dieticians, having to go to the hospital for non-stress tests weekly and being terrified something would go wrong. Both girls were born weighing in at 8lbs6oz and 8lbs3oz respectively. They were tested for low blood sugar after birth and had no issues. Did I really have gestational diabetes? I don't know. There is no history of diabetes in my family anywhere. Like I said, while my test results after the gtt were within the normal range, my dr at the time felt they were high enough to be worried. I didn't know anything about gd at the time. I do now

I will be declining the test this time and am self monitoring at home. So far I've had no high levels. I am however avoiding sugar, refined white flours etc, etc. So basically just eating very healthy. Can't hurt

Whatever you decide to do, read up on it first. Be informed

mum to a crew...

User Tag List