Rhogam at 28 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My CNM keeps prescribing me a prenatal rhogam shot, that I intuitevely don't want to take. At my 28 week blood work up they checked for antibodies, I had none. This is my first, and while I know I am - and DH is +, I don't see why I should have the shot before the delivery. I am worried about the effects it may have on the baby. Anyone decline the prenatal rhogam? Anyone think I should just get the shot?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please go to the Vaccination forum and do a search. There have been many informative threads about the Rhogam shot.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#3 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 01:53 AM

I just noticed you are a fairly new member. I don't know if you are familiar with the search feature. It is located in the upper right corner of the main forum. Just enter Rhogam as your search term. If you don't get the info you want, post to the forum your questions and I am sure you will get some help!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#4 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 10:51 AM

I am also - and DH is + and I do not/will not get the shot during pregnancy but I do get it after my positive babes are born.
With my first two I was younger/less informed and seeing an OB/GYN in the early 90's and got the shot in pregnancy - both of those children were negative so I exposed them to mercury for no good reason

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#5 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 12:27 PM

I am - and my dh is +, and I got the rhogam shot in my last pregnancy. I'll get it this time, too. I've done some research on the shot, and it's not too bad, in my opinion. The ones on the market now do not contain mercury. I feel that the risk to the baby of not doing the shot are too high to skip it, but that's just my opinion. And I'm definetely not one to vaccinate blindly...

I would say do your research and go with your gut.

Melanie
#6 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Banned

I agree there is a lot of great info in the vax forum.

I had the rhogam shot during my pregnancy with my first.

With my second, my MW actually advised against it during pregnancy, but I did get it after my son was born b/c he was possitive.

I will not be getting the shot during this pregnancy.
#7 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 05:45 PM

I'm - and my hubby is +.

My midwife said that with a first, it isn't necessary and that if you wait 2 years until concieving again, it shouldn't be necessary because there wouldn't be any antibodies.

Something must have changed since my second, though, because for the first time (this is my third baby) she's going to test me to see if I need the shot.

If I do, I will take it without hesitation, especially since there's no mercury.
#8 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 05:57 PM

I don't think that's right, grapejuice mama...it is only your last baby you don't have to worry about because it doesn't affect your current pregnancy it is for future pregnancies only. If you have the antibodies from a + baby (you and the baby's blood mixed at some point during birth) they will attack future - babies. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works, I know I said it horribly.
I have decided to go the route of waiting too, but had Rhagam a day or so before my ds was born and he was +, so then I had another one? Anyway...the shot lasts for like 10-12 weeks I think, so it may be better to get it after the birth anyway IF the baby is +.
#9 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantmama
I don't think that's right, grapejuice mama...it is only your last baby you don't have to worry about because it doesn't affect your current pregnancy it is for future pregnancies only. If you have the antibodies from a + baby (you and the baby's blood mixed at some point during birth) they will attack future - babies. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works, I know I said it horribly.
I have decided to go the route of waiting too, but had Rhagam a day or so before my ds was born and he was +, so then I had another one? Anyway...the shot lasts for like 10-12 weeks I think, so it may be better to get it after the birth anyway IF the baby is +.
It's not uncommon to have a dose shortly before birth (for a version/amnio/MVA/etc.) and then another dose after delivery, because each 300 mcg dose only protects against a certain amount of fetal blood. If you have a version/etc., and "use up" the antibody protection (not the best way to put it, but I can't think of a clearer way now) and then also have a fetal/maternal bleed at delivery, you could need more RhoGam.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#10 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 06:58 PM

I got it last week, and I think I had a rxn to it (otherwise unexplainable 101 degree fever for a few days.) But I think the science behind it is sound, so I don't regret it.
#11 of 11 Old 09-15-2006, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks everyone, I found more info on the vax board. It never occured to me to consider rhogam a vax....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page