If i eat peanut butter every day will my baby have a peanut allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm craving peanut butter and eating it every day. I'm eating almond butter too. I know nuts are great for me but I think I heard somewhere that eating too much pb during pregnancy can make it more likely that your baby will have a peanut allergy.

Anybody know if this is true?

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#2 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 08:09 PM

It doesn't sound true to me... I think most people developed peanut allergies because they were exposed to products containing peanut oil (like baby oils and stuff) as infants... I don;t think you can give your child an allergy by eating anything--it isn't like the peanut butter itself crosses the placentia, just the digested elements...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#3 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 08:11 PM

I really think someone in your family has to have a peanut allergy in order for the baby to get it as well, KWIM like it has to be in the genes. I ate PB with both pregs and ate PB while BF, and still do.
#4 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 08:16 PM

I've heard that eating nuts/peanuts during pg and bfing can increase the liklihood that your child will have an allergy. I've also heard this risk can be decreased by eating raw organic peanut butter because of perhaps something in the roasting process? I know a lot of moms here at MDC have switched to almond butter because they don't want to take the risk of having a babe with an allergy.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#5 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds
I really think someone in your family has to have a peanut allergy in order for the baby to get it as well, KWIM like it has to be in the genes. I ate PB with both pregs and ate PB while BF, and still do.
Not necessarily a PB allergy. My son was sensitized to peanuts through my breast milk, and though we do have a family history of food allergy, no family history of peanut allergy.

His allergist said I should avoid peanuts while BF this time, but not to worry too much about while pregnant. So am stocking up on peanuts while I can!

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#6 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 08:17 PM

i think it is a myth.

BUt if peanut allergies run in your family I would try not too each much of it
#7 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 09:01 PM

I ate lots of pb while pregnant and while nursing and my dd does have a pb allergy. We have tons of enviormental and pet allergies in our family, though dd is the first food allergy. I personally don't think it's connected to me eating pb in pregnancy though. She's inherited LOTS of allergies to things other family memebers are allergic to, so I just think she got the short end of the stick.

Anyways, I'm not eating pb in this pregnancy because dd is still nursing. Of course, what's my number one craving? :

Mama of three.

#8 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 09:09 PM

The physician who did the research on peanuts and pregnancy and peanuts and breastfeeding has been totally discredited for his other research as it was completely fabricated. He has since moved abroad to escape the media. His fabricated research papers (published in very significant medical journals) were on supposedly low-allergen formulas. But since much of his work has been totally discredited, there a high level of suspicion that his other work may also be totally false (like the peanuts/pregnancy/breastfeeding work). So most health professionals are left saying, "we don't know if peanuts and pregnancy or breastfeeding contribute to allergies".

For more info you can Google "Dr Chandra" and "formula" and "research" and a ton of articles on him pop up.
#9 of 14 Old 09-17-2006, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I ate peanut butter pretty much everyday last pregnancy, and fairly often while bf'ing. DS has no problem eating peanut butter today (no other allergies either). He started eating peanut butter at 1 year old, and he has it fairly often.

If you have a family history of allergies, then you might want to look further into the peanut butter thing. I don't have a family history of allergies (nor does my DH), so I didn't worry about it.

Peanut butter is what got me through the first trimester both times, when I needed protein NOW.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#10 of 14 Old 09-18-2006, 08:49 PM

I ate PB every day during my first pregnancy, and ds is fine. Actually, he accidentally got some cashews the other day in chicken salad and didn't die, so I'm quite glad of that. Maybe PB in utero was a good thing? It kept my tummy full enough for me to sleep a few hours at a stretch in between bathroom trips at night, so that's good.

If you're craving it, I say there's something in it your body needs.
#11 of 14 Old 09-18-2006, 08:59 PM

i heard it is only if your family has strong allergies to foods like peanut butter. or if someone in your close family has a peanut allergy

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#12 of 14 Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 PM

I have food allergies, so when I was pregnant with dd I did some extensive research on the subject. By extensive I mean: my husband works for a research hospital, I went to the library there and spent a few hours reading many articles on the subject. Eating any high allergy food while pregnant and nursing can increase your risk of having a child with a food allergies. However, the risk is very small. Unless you or the baby's dad have a history of food allergies then the risk is significant. I also read that it is not a specific allergy that gets passed down. You pass down a general allergy gene. For instance, I am allergic to tomatoes and celery but dd has the potential to be allergic to anything. As a side note my allergist suggests not feeding dd any nut butters until she is at least three. I hope this all makes sense. Please feel free to pm me with more questions. I avoid high allergy foods while pregnant and breasfeeding except milk and wheat. I would avoid these too if it were possible.
#13 of 14 Old 09-18-2006, 10:47 PM

I ate lots of peanut butter in my pregnancies, and none of the children developed an allergy. I just really craved peanut butter! It would have been hard to go without
#14 of 14 Old 09-19-2006, 08:58 PM

I've heard of this possibility, for myself it hasn't held true. I ate multiple pb & j sandwiches a day when pregnant with dd & even had 2 when I was in labor with her. I also ate them tons in the first 5 or 6 mos after she was born while she was bf'ing. Sometimes around 5 or 6 mos post partum I got sick of them though...

My dd doesn't have a peanut allergy, but she doesn't seem to like peanut butter.

This pregnancy I just haven't enjoyed pb and so have rarely had it... I think if you're craving it it's probably fine to be eating it & is filling some sort of nutritional need. I've never bought the whole mom eating peanut butter raising baby's risk of having a peanut allergy theory.. I think there's just too many things that play into allergies to blame it on mom's diet when pregnant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page