Breast Pads, first outfits and next to bed items - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 27 Old 09-20-2006, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am due in October and had a few questions:

Can anyone recommend a good breast pad? Do I get disposable ones or washable ones? I would lean towards the washable ones. All I see in the store are the Gerber ones and they seem so scratchy. Online I have found some that are nice wool, but are around $18 a pair. That seems like a lot.

What should my babies first outfit be? We are having a home birth and I need to get one ready. I would think that a side snap long sleeved shirt and wool longies would be ok...if I could FIND a long sleeved side snap shirt. Would a onesie be out of the question because of the cord? How about a gown?

What were your favorite and couldn't do with out bedside items? I would think water, tissues, burp cloths, maybe a snack, lanoline, anything else?

Thanks ladies!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 PM

breast pads: I loved the Lana wool ones. They are so worth it. They didn't stay wet feeling. You can get by with less of them too, as you can just dry them out and reuse them a few times before washing.

first outfit: nothing! ds and I were blessed to be able to stay in bed naked, skin on skin for a few days and I highly recommend that. We didn't even put a diaper on him, just kept the house warm and used lots of receiving blankets, cloth dipes underneath and ready to catch pees. After a couple of days, the little gowns were great.

bedside ideas: I had what you mentioned plus bendy straws for drinking , cord care, books, journal, little trash bag and laundry bin, witch hazel wipes and salve for hemmorhoids

Wishing you a wonderful home birth!!!!
#3 of 27 Old 09-20-2006, 09:41 PM

although I haven't tried their things, underthenile.com has both long sleeve kimono shirts and breast pads. The prices are reasonable too. I never needed breast pads so I cannot speak to which are better/worse. hth.
#4 of 27 Old 09-20-2006, 10:15 PM

Not only are the disposable breast pads scratcy, but they have those stupid gel beads in them that are in diapers. If you are going to use cloth diapers to keep those off your babies bottom, you SURE don't want them where they might get in babies mouth!! :

http://shop.nurturecenter.com/moofedfbunup.html

These are the ones I used last time. I need to make sure I can find them all though. I saw one floating around the house the other day.
#5 of 27 Old 09-20-2006, 10:50 PM

If you can sew you can make your own breast pads. I had a problem with store bought one getting 'lost' in my bra cause I am rather large. So I made some bigger ones for myself out of flannel. At night I use prefolds lol.

I always use a gown with the elastic in the bottom for the first few days pp. The easier the better.

Next to bed - pail for diapers, Water, Diapers, burp rags. If you plan on staying in bed for a while have everything in arms reach. Olive oil for the babies hiney, it makes it all slick so the mec won't stick.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#6 of 27 Old 09-20-2006, 10:50 PM

Breastpads: I had a few different washable breast pads with baby #1. Some were from Babies R Us - Playtex brand, maybe? They are kind of expensive and I didn't really like them because they never seemed to absorb much, but they were trim (e.g. didn't look like I was wearing breast pads). The others I got I don't know the brand, but they were also available in stores and they were basically flat round disks, not as "trim" or "fitted" as the Playtex ones, but they were very absorbant and made me look like I was wearing breastpads. So, a bit of a tradeoff there. I never tried the wool pads, but I got some nice looking cotton pads some someone this time around, haven't used them yet but they look nice... sorry that's really not very helpful. I would not use the disposable pads other than the free samples you may have/receive, just because you go through so many it's just a big waste of money. The disposable ones I got as samples didn't have any gel beads or anything in them, they were just cotton.

First outfit(s): We loved the little newborn gowns, especially the 100% cotton gowns made my Carter's. They're really cute, they make diaper changes a breeze, fit over any kind of cloth diaper, and if you don't have to go anywhere in a carseat, they're great. (if you need to go out in the carseat, you need something with legs). Other than gowns, for the first few months, ds lived in the long-sleeve, long-pant, onesie-rompers (I really don't know what they're called) made by Carter's, 100% cotton, snaps all the way down which makes it really easy to put on/off. (I just looked at their website and Carter's calls them the "easy entry footsie")

What were your favorite and couldn't do with out bedside items? I would think water, tissues, burp cloths, maybe a snack, lanoline, anything else?
Good question. We had little burp cloths (small prefold cloth diapers) all over our house for moping up milk, spitup, more milk, more spitup... so I woudl definitely recommend having lots of those on hand. Wash cloths or hand towels or anything like that also works just fine. Water, snacks, a good book to read (or Dr. Sears' The Baby Book, or Nursing Mother's Companion...), lanolin, telephone, and a pillow or two.

Enjoy that new babe!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#7 of 27 Old 09-21-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
At night I use prefolds lol.
#8 of 27 Old 09-21-2006, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Me three!
#9 of 27 Old 09-21-2006, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

How do you use prefolds? Do you just stuff one in each cup? Sounds like a great idea, I am just confused. Thanks!!
#10 of 27 Old 09-21-2006, 01:42 AM

I slept topless to make nursing easier, I just placed the prefold right on top of my chest to stop the drips.

I agree that the wool breast pads are the best. The washable one's from BRU don't work at all! And gowns were our favorite. And the footie rompers from carter's were awesome as well.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#11 of 27 Old 09-21-2006, 02:19 AM

I have a rather large chest so I tuck part of it under my boob and just lay the other half on top to stop the fountain effect.
#12 of 27 Old 09-21-2006, 02:36 AM

Nursing pads- I bought some washables but they don't stay in place very well. I did get some disposables for emergencies. Johnson and Johnson ones were the nicest I found.

First clothes- onesies and baby sleepers or gowns

Bedside- Water, lotion, burp clothes. diapers, wipes, snacks, book to read
#13 of 27 Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 AM

the lansinoh breast pads work great if you want disposables!

Denise, Mama to DS1 (7) and DD1 (5) and new baby due June 2012!

#14 of 27 Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 PM

bedside items: I agree with what everyone has said. Plus, I kept a couple of prefolds under my pillow for drips and drops. I got milk everywhere with DS! I would change the sheets, like, every second day. It was crazy!

This time, of course, I am a nursing "expert" So, we will see. But, I am also going to use our lambskin more and earlier. It is the perfect wet pad that is soft for us all to sleep on. Also, I am thinking of buying this nursing pillow that lights up. I think it is called "Nurse and Glow". With DS I used a night light, and it wasn't light enough to change his diaper by. I don't think I need the light to nurse, but I would like to see what I am doing without waking DH and 3 yo DS.

Good luck!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#15 of 27 Old 09-21-2006, 04:33 PM

I had a problem with excessive breast leakage. When I say excessive, I mean wetting the entire bed with breastmilk like someone spilled a FULL glass of water. So I couldnt use washable breast pads until the leakage slowed, which was at about 6 or 7 months. I couldnt even use washable pads double or tripled up. I used the Medela disposable pads, and I'm telling you, even with them I had to change them like 4-6 times a day. So buy LOTS of them in case you have my issue!

Melanie
#16 of 27 Old 09-21-2006, 07:44 PM

Bedside: Camera!!!

#17 of 27 Old 09-21-2006, 11:31 PM

washcloths work as breast pads...just remember that if you use dryer sheets in the dryer they won't be as absorbant...
At night I would suggest getting some of those crib sheets that are soft like flannel on the top but 'rubberized' or something so they don't let fluids get thru to your bed. Then maybe a towel over that...I would nurse laying down on one side, and the other breast would get jealous and run down! hahaha Sometimes getting baby wet! Maybe wearing a sleep bra with a washcloth in it would've helped huh?

GOWNS! We LOVED our gowns! Made diaper changing easy...easy on the cord...and baby didn't kick around it in. Seemed like all of the little outfits with footies she would get her legs all tangled up==or 2 legs trying to go down the same side etc... (she was kinda little)

Bedside items? Well, we weren't in bed much...I slept mostly in a rocking chair sitting up since nursing wasn't the easiest laying down...so maybe a sling to make sure you don't drop the baby if you have to be sitting up and falling asleep!
#18 of 27 Old 09-22-2006, 12:15 AM

I give birth in the hospital ( i know some of you dont) but i took home the chuck. THe blue thing they put under your butt in the bed. Not the paper ones. It is like a thick material. I have had it for my last 2 babies. It washes really nice and at first i use it under my butt for blood for the first couple of days, then i use it to catch the breastmilk. Then i dont have to change the sheets.
I bet you could order them online somewhere and cheap too.

I kept a basket of diapers, wipes, remotes, book and some snacks too by the bed. IT helped alot.

you can get them here. http://www.northshorecare.com/underp...h1.html#sahara
not too bad of a price, but you could probably sew some too. they are the white and blue ones on the page.
#19 of 27 Old 09-22-2006, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I tried a bunch of different washable breast pads and didn't have any luck with them. It didn't matter how thick or absorbant they were, they all wicked through my shirts. Lansinoh disposables were my fav when I absolutely couldn't leak, but I bought three pairs of the Lana wool ones gently used off of ebay (you can carefully boil them so they are sanitary) for next to nothing and they were by far my favorites. I had super heavy let-down so they still leaked through at times, but they were comfy and usually very effective. Having 3 pairs was great because I always had a dry pair and didn't have to wash/lanolize them (even though that is super easy to do) more than every 6-8 weeks. You could get away with just 2 pair though. I liked them so much that I just bought a couple of pairs of the Elktsra (with felted wool in the center for heavy leakers) in anticipation of #2. Totally worth the $$$.
#20 of 27 Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 AM

Oh, one other thing--It's not really "bedside", but the peri bottles I brought home from the hospital were my best bathroom buddies for weeks. I ended up with an emergency section, but I still used them for all that delightful lochia and such. You can get them from med supply stores or your midwife.
#21 of 27 Old 01-21-2015, 11:49 AM

Talking Hi

What I use personally are furniture pads. That probably doesn't make much sense, but I've found them to be the post effective. You can make them to fit your needs and, at the price, I'm delighted with the product. This is where I get mine: http://www.liveanew.com/Furniture-Pads-s/111100.htm and there are a lot of different brands. Personally - the Tena pads work really well for any leaks.
#22 of 27 Old 01-21-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastomom View Post
I tried a bunch of different washable breast pads and didn't have any luck with them. It didn't matter how thick or absorbant they were, they all wicked through my shirts. Lansinoh disposables were my fav .
same here! i really wanted reusables to work, but i always leaked through them. i really liked Naty sposie diapers for the times cloth wasn't an option, and it turns out they make breast pads now. i'd love to give them a try once my next babe is here. http://www.naty.com/baby-care/other/eco-breast-pads/

eta: i always got the best deal on their products by just ordering through amazon and using the subscribe and save program

Happy Humanist Mom to Luna Paz (2/16/06) & Zoe Jean (7/21/08). Patiently awaiting the arrival of Johnny (edd 6/26/15).
#23 of 27 Old 01-21-2015, 12:51 PM

oh, and the one item i'd add to the bedside stash is lip balm.

Happy Humanist Mom to Luna Paz (2/16/06) & Zoe Jean (7/21/08). Patiently awaiting the arrival of Johnny (edd 6/26/15).
#24 of 27 Old 01-21-2015, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Believe it or not I used baby wash clothes as breastpads. We just had so many it made sense. Disposal anything makes my skin itchy. I'm thinking about making my own this time from bamboo or fleece. I'd definitely go with t-shirt, pants, lots of socks and hats. Avoid snaps. If you are using cloth diapers fit is really important. I think fitted diapers with PUL covers work the best.
#25 of 27 Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I love the baby gowns for the first outfits. So easy to change diapers in. I need to get some actual newborn size ones this time though, my stash of 0-3 mo size gowns were all just too broad in the shoulders for my little newborns (about 6 1/2 lbs at birth).

I do fine with reusable cotton breast pads, as long as they have a waterproof layer (PUL or something) on the outer side. I'm not a heavy leaker though, and usually ditch the breast pads after 3 or 4 months. Leaks are rare for me past then, and on the rare occasion that I feel a let down start on a boob that's not being nursed I can hold it back with a little pressure from my arm. I actually want to try the sticky silicone pads this time so I can go braless around the house and in bed. They don't absorb anything, they just keep the pressure on your nipple so nothing comes out.

Bedside items: camera, phone (mine was useful for signaling dh from across the house, when I didn't want to yell for him and wake the baby), entertainment for yourself (books, laptop, knitting, whatever), diapers, wipes, olive oil to keep mec from sticking to baby's butt, water, change of clothes for baby, burp cloths or prefolds for messes, someplace to put the dirty diapers, snack, lip balm, hair bands or pins or whatever you need to keep your hair out of the way, swaddling blankets, a dim or red-toned nightlight. I also like the washable waterproof underpads for the early days of bleeding/leaking boobs. I want to get a small portable speaker to plug my ipod into this time as well, I like to listen to audiobooks and podcasts, but I don't want to worry about falling asleep with my earphone cables around the baby. You might want a change of clothes for yourself nearby as well (if you plan on wearing clothes, I stayed mostly naked with babe at first). I had hormonal night sweats the first couple of nights postpartum, plus there is the bleeding and leaking boobs that can all make messes. If it's going to be chilly, something to keep your arms warm without blocking breast access will be nice, there's no pulling the covers up to your chin with a baby in the bed! I had some tincture to help with after pains on my bed stand the second time. I didn't need anything after the first.

Good luck!

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#26 of 27 Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I found all the washable breast pads leaked. I used disposables, pigeon brand but I'm in Australia so not sure if you have them in the US. I didn't need them at all for the first few days either.

First outfits (first 6-12 months) are always one piece suits. Short for daytime, long, with feet for night/cold weather. Press studs don't bother me and I hate shirts and gowns constantly riding up and needing to be adjusted. The umbilical cord isn't an issue, it can be covered by clothing or not as you choose. The only thing is to keep it out of the nappy, while the clamp is on, so it doesn't dig into their skin and also to avoid getting wee on the stump.

We also kept the girls skin-to-skin in just a nappy for the first 24 hours or so.

By the bed for me (and I did not confine myself to bed in any way):

- water bottle
- book
- phone
- nappies, wipes, spare bunny rug and change of clothes
- dim nightlight so I could see to attach them and change nappies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#27 of 27 Old Today, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Mother-Ease makes some great nursing pads. I've used and re-used them with all three babies so far.

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page