TB Test while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-20-2006, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is starting in a co-op preschool where I will work 1 morning a week. One of the school's (or maybe the state's?) requirements is that all people who work with children have a current TB test. The preschool director did say that I could be excused from the requirement with a doctor's note, but I was just wondering if anyone had any info on TB testing in pregnancy. TIA!
#2 of 13 Old 09-20-2006, 09:14 PM

I had one with my first pregnancy. There was a chance of exposure and we wanted to be sure. I never heard any warnings about it.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#3 of 13 Old 09-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Banned

I teach and it's time for my test in Oct, so I asked my OB a few weeks back-- he said there was no reason not to. I had already done research all over the net and almost every source said it was no biggie-- ONE source on about said to not risk it as no studies proved it was safe. I'm still sort of debating... I do work with a ton of kids and they are always sick... but I still need to know what we would do differently (besides worry a lot?) if we knew I was exposed... treatment while in womb? It's not like I'm going to abort... Hmmm I thought I had a better answer (I'll probably go ahead and do it) but that's the mishmash of what I've found.
#4 of 13 Old 09-21-2006, 11:41 AM

I'm a childcare worker and have been getting one very year for the past 10 years. I got one a couple months bag. My midwife assured me it was no big deal and I trust her, well mostly.
#5 of 13 Old 09-21-2006, 12:22 PM

Ask on the vax forum, we discuss it there from time to time. Though it's not a vax, it has a lot in common with them.
#6 of 13 Old 09-21-2006, 01:50 PM

I am required by my employer to have one (I'm an RN) so I've had one with each of my 4 pregnancies. It's not contraindicated in pregnancy.

Mandy
#7 of 13 Old 09-21-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Ask on the vax forum, we discuss it there from time to time. Though it's not a vax, it has a lot in common with them.
I had one during pregnancy, not being as informed as I am now & trusting all those medical people (I was signing up to volunteer at the hospital!!)... Haven't researched but I would be willing to bet it does have probs similar to vax so you might want to go ahead and accept their offer to exempt you.

#8 of 13 Old 09-21-2006, 09:50 PM

With my first baby the OB had me get a TB test on my first visit--so I guess the OB thought there were no risks associated with it (of course that's not saying much--they don't think there are a lot of risks with lots of things they do).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#9 of 13 Old 09-21-2006, 10:07 PM

The only risk that I know of is that if the test should be positive, you would need to have a chest xray to make sure that your lungs are not infected. I also work in a hospital, I am a radiographer and this is the only risk I have even known about.
#10 of 13 Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 PM

I'm not sure...
I'd err on the side of caution though since they said you can get a note and do it after you deliver...

You know how it goes--it is all 'safe and fine' now, and 20 yrs from now they discover it causes cancer, alzheimers, or something else!
#11 of 13 Old 09-21-2006, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, ladies! I think I will ask over in the vax forum too just to cover all my bases.
#12 of 13 Old 09-22-2006, 02:42 PM

I personally would avoid a TB test, especially while pregnant.
This is a link to the package insert of the most commonly used TB test. There is quite a bit of verbage that indicates that although it's considered generally safe in pregnancy/otherwise, quite a bit of testing has not been done and precaution should still be used when administering the antigens :

http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/752-21_4611.pdf
#13 of 13 Old 09-22-2006, 03:58 PM

I had one last week and I didn't like having it done. I am still worried about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page