castor oil ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-23-2006, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my fiances granfather was saying that castor oil could help get my labor going. has anyone else heard of this? how much do you take? does it really work?
has anyone ever tried that?
what else works that isn't so nasty?

Trying to with SO my dd3 my ds 2 dss 7 dss 8 and 2 chinese creasted's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-23-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBravo View Post
my fiances granfather was saying that castor oil could help get my labor going. has anyone else heard of this? how much do you take? does it really work?
has anyone ever tried that?
what else works that isn't so nasty?
Please don't, i know i don't know you but yes it can bring on labour but it can also cause feotal distress, it works by stimulateing your bowls which then goes onto stimulate your uterus to contract it will give you bad diareah and can also lead to sickness and dehydration, it can cause baby to pooh inside you and sadly i have heard of babies doing this and becoming very ill and dieing.
i'm not saying this to scare by any means but just to warn you although it does work for some others are not so lucky
sex and nipple stinulation is suposed to bring on labor
hth

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#3 of 12 Old 09-23-2006, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Wow!!!!! Ok

Trying to with SO my dd3 my ds 2 dss 7 dss 8 and 2 chinese creasted's
#4 of 12 Old 09-23-2006, 11:34 AM

I tried it. It didn't do anything for me. I did spend a lot of time on the potty, but it wasn't anything painful, nor did it cause any fetal distress. But we also closely monitored DD's heartrate after I took it, too.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#5 of 12 Old 09-23-2006, 11:53 AM

My MW had me take a castor oil orangesicle shake, but my water had been slowly leaking for about 8 hours and labor was very slow. it did work, after sitting on the potty many times.
#6 of 12 Old 09-23-2006, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
Please don't, i know i don't know you but yes it can bring on labour but it can also cause feotal distress, it works by stimulateing your bowls which then goes onto stimulate your uterus to contract it will give you bad diareah and can also lead to sickness and dehydration, it can cause baby to pooh inside you and sadly i have heard of babies doing this and becoming very ill and dieing.
i'm not saying this to scare by any means but just to warn you although it does work for some others are not so lucky
sex and nipple stinulation is suposed to bring on labor
hth

Actually this isn't proven. The whole thing with castor oil and meconium in the waters has to do with the babies being post dates than the castor oil causing them to pass meconium. It has been used for centuries as a safe way to induce labor.

That being said I tried it twice while pregnant, and neither time did it put me into labor(he did not pass meconium). It did clean me out though! it has been shown time and time again that your body will go into labour when your baby decides s/he is ready to come out. Beofre that and labor will likely be more complicated/less effective.

Can't hurt to try though

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#7 of 12 Old 10-03-2006, 06:15 AM

After doing a lot of research, this is the castor oil regimen I came up with. I used it to induce myself and I've recommended it to 5 other women. It's worked for all 6 of us! 100% success rate so far! My best friend will be doing it on Thursday if she hasn't gone into labor by then (she'll be 41 1/2 weeks and risks out of delivering at her birth center at 42 weeks).

Castor Oil Regiman
Put 1oz (2 tablespoons) of castor oil (CO) in the blender with ice cream and a little bit of milk to make a shake. Drink. Take a long hot shower (this relaxes you). Proceed with 1 hour of nipple/breast stimulation-- apply oil to one breast, massage the area around the nipple/areola in a circular motion for 15 minutes (you don't have to actually touch your nipple), then switch sides. Only massage one breast at a time (15 minutes each side for a total of 1 hour). Wait for contractions.

If after 2 hours, you are having NO contractions at all, take another 1oz of CO in a shake and do another hour of nipple/breast stimulation. Wait for contractions.

If after 2 more hours, you are still having NO contractions, take a final 1oz of CO in a shake and do another hour of nipple/breast stimulation. Wait for contractions. If this doesn't work-- your body truly isn't ready.

Most women will be in labor after the first or second dose (it took me only one dose and I never had any diarrhea, stomach cramping, or nausea). DON'T take more than 3 doses (3oz total).

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#8 of 12 Old 10-03-2006, 01:16 PM

I took castor oil with my dd... I was three days past my edd, and I took it because I wanted to have time with my dh after the birth because he was starting grad school two weeks from my edd... my midwife told me it would only work if the baby was really close to ready anyway... so it worked for me, but I wouldn't recommend it. I was on the toilet until I was empty,probably about half the day... that part was horrible. After that, things were fine, and my labor went well, no problems... but I would not wish explosive diarrhea on anyone!
#9 of 12 Old 10-03-2006, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My personal research showed that castor oil does not cause the baby to release meconium. It's the black & blue cohoshes that can do that.

I induced my labor with castor oil. I drank 2oz in orange juice. I didn't really find it to be gross at all, it was fine. I was 3 days pass my EDD & was impatient. My son was born about 5 hours later!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#10 of 12 Old 10-03-2006, 02:19 PM

I used castor oil with my last who was 3 weeks "late"
I mixed it with root beer which helped with the flavor.

Dont know if it worked or not. I took 1 dose and nothing for hours took another and still nothing. In the middle of the night though I did go into labor.

Perfect fast birth.

I stay away from black and blue cohoshes. They really bother me.

I personally couldnt find reason to be wary of castor oil.
#11 of 12 Old 10-03-2006, 02:33 PM

I used castor oil at 42 weeks. I did work for me. The diarreah was not bad at all and we made an ice cream milk shake with canned pineapple in the blender and I was surprised how good it was. I don't know much more about it but I did have a very very long 52 hour labor. I have questioned whether or not my baby was ready to come that day. Who knows.

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#12 of 12 Old 10-03-2006, 02:38 PM

Castor oil can dehydrate you (it causes diahreah, which can cause dehydration). It happened to me. I passed out twice after the the birth. But I had tried it during other pg and besides never working it didn't dehydrate me either. I have also tried the black and blue cohoshes. Those never worked either. My babies have all been post dates, never a one with mec. I can't see how castor oil or the cohoshes can stimulate the bowels of the baby honestly. Perhaps the strong contractions the induced labor brings on can distress the baby but not just cause a bowel movement. If that caused bowel movements then so would anything else that stimulated the bowels. And of the cohoshes stimulated the bowels than so would the much harsher pit or other induction drugs.

The Dehydration concerns me though, having been through it.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page