Alcohol and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sure this topic has been discussed many times before but I can't find it right now. I personally do not drink during pregnancy. I know some people believe it os fine as long as it is not overdone. I would rather wait 9 months and have a drink after the baby is born.

Last night, I went to see a leader is sustainable design. He is an architect who builds to improve the environment and so far is very successful. Anyway, A pregnant woman sat in front of me (she was about 6 months - and her belly was so perfectly cute!!! I am looking forward to getting there) Then after the lecture our group went to eat at a restaurant across the street and lo and behold here comes the cute pregnant woman. I wonder if she, like me, thinks how nice it would be to enjoy a beer instead of water or tea. So, I glance and she is having a beer with her friends. She looked like a very sophisticated well- educated women (not trying to stereo type here just giving a visual) and I wondered what brought her to the conclusion to have a beer. Not that I am condeming her for it by any means. It may be perfectly fine. I just personally would not choose to take that risk. What are some of your thoughts? I do not want this to be a debate thread. I am just wondering how others view this topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 11:06 AM

Personally, I could never do it. I'm a guilt-ridden worrywort as it is so I just cannot drink alcohol during pregnancy. Believe me, I've been tempted. Wine has never looked so good lately! I do think that one drink here and there is probably OK so I try not to judge women who choose to do that. It's just not for me.
#3 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 11:14 AM

What are you looking for if not debate here? You aren't posting because you *agree* with her choice, clearly... even though you recognize that many people believe an occassional drink is fine. Clearly that lady does too, and I'm sure she is quite capable of choosing for herself and her baby, just like you are for yourself and your baby. Anyways I'm confused as to what kind of feedback you're looking for.

If you search for "beer and pregnant" there is a HUGE thread that's been going on for years about this and you'll get to view all the debating about it that you could ever hope to.
#4 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 12:04 PM

My midwife actually suggested that I have an occasional glass of wine every now and then if it helps me to relax. She said to consider it "medicinal". I have had a few small glasses this pregnancy (never more than one at a time) and I feel fine about it. It's a personal choice, and I feel fine about my decision.

I do think that this culture seems to adhere to a rigid interpretation of such rules. "No unpasteurized dairy products" becomes "do not touch soft cheeses ever" ... "Moderate alcohol use" becomes "never allow a drop of alcohol to pass your lips".

mama to Ingrid (11/06) and Louisa (5/29/09):
#5 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 01:40 PM

Could her beer have been non-alcoholic? I had several non-alcoholic beers in my first pregnancy because I missed beer so much. Sam Adams makes a yummy one.... I'd probably never have an alcoholic one just because I'm neurotic and I'd worry.

My sister did drink a couple of glasses of wine in her pregnancy because she couldnt sleep. This was in her last trimester, and her ob said it was fine. He said that was a better method than pill-form sleeping aids

Melanie
#6 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 02:46 PM

I think having one beer is fine, not to mention it could have been non-alcoholic. I have sips of my DHs beer on occasion and I would have a glass of wine as well with no aprehension.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#7 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 03:01 PM

Well, in most cases I tend to be pretty unconventional, but this is a sore spot for me. I have worked with kids with fetal alchohol syndrome and it's lesser relative, fetal alcohol effects. I have talked to the mothers who either didn't know what they were doing or couldn't break the addiction. And I have read extensive documentation that indicates that we know relatively little about the 'amount' of alcohol in pregnancy that could cause these devastating conditions.
I have also read and heard directly from experts in the field that it is believed that EVEN ONE DRINK consumed at the wrong stage of pregnancy could cause adverse effects on the fetus.

As for drinking the occassional drink to 'relax', I just prickle at that. If the mother is feeling enough from the alcohol to feel a change in her mental state; a heightened sense of relaxation, you better believe the fetus is feeling it too.

Why oh why not wait the nine months out. Babies today have enough teratogens to survive through thanks to our wacky environment and questionable food sources without mothers deliberately consuming alcohol.

OK. I'm ready for the backlash now.
#8 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 03:13 PM

You'll get no backlash from me I think we all have certain things we are not comfortable with during pregnancy.

I have not had a drink yet - except the occasional sip but I would. Also, it only takes about 3 sips of wine for me to feel relaxed and I personally don't think that's enough to affect the baby.

I don't do doppler, U/S, caffeine, and try to stay away from refined sugar and a lot of Mamas think all of the above is fine. We all have our different comfort levels. I personally cannot comprehend how someone could rent and use a doppler for 'fun' or have a monthly U/S but that is one of the things I am picky about.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#9 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 03:32 PM

I am another person who is not comfortable drinking while pregnant. I know a tiny amount of beer or wine is probably harmless, but I know that if my baby had a birth defect or something went wrong I would always wonder if drinking had something to do with it. So, I choose to avoid all alcohol for the entire 9 mos. Just to be safe.

When I waitressed a few years back I had a pregnant woman come in and order two strawberry daquaris and she drank them both in about 5 minutes flat. It did make me feel a little weird and uncomfortable serving a pregnant woman.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#10 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 03:49 PM

I waitressed a few years ago too, and there were a couple of occassions where I was put in the position of serving an obviously pregnant woman, and often more than one drink. It was awkward indeed for me. I wonder if it was for them...

I understand that it is probably highly unlikely for a single drink to do any damage, but as the last poster said, if anything were to go wrong with the pregnancy, I would always second guess those factors that I had control over...

I guess it's easy for me to say this considering that i almost never drink even when I am not pregnant. If it were a bigger part of my lifestyle I might have to reevaluate my strictness. My husband's family is French, it is part of their culture to enjoy wine with meals. I know that his mother indulged in the occassional glass while she was pregnant, and he is fine. She always offers it to me, but I always politely decline.
#11 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 03:50 PM

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=310415

Here is an 8 pg thread devoted to this topic where pretty much every viewpoint is covered and debated.
#12 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 03:58 PM

:
I'm not even going to go into it on this thread.
#13 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mimi View Post
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=310415

Here is an 8 pg thread devoted to this topic where pretty much every viewpoint is covered and debated.
Ahh......... I knew there was one but.... I didn't really have time to look for it.

I honestly was not looking for a debate as someone previously may have anticipated. I was seriously just wondering what other folks viewpoints are. I am not criticizing anyone for making a decision to have a beer. I just said, I personally can not do it. That does not mean I look down on others who do or think harshly of them. I have a pretty open mind and am very comfortable with being around others who have a different aspect on life than I do. I believe I learn from people who see things differently than I do. It is NOT my place to judge anyone.

Maybe somewhere deep down I wanted a debate, but I honestly thought I was just being curious to others thoughts and opinions

Thanks again for the link to the thread. I will check it out. Like I already said, I didn't have time to search for it earlier (I had class )
#14 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 06:07 PM

I have zero issue with moderate drinking during pregnancy. I believe that it's a cultural thing for some people anyway. I don't see the harm in a glass of wine or a beer with dinner while pregnant. I'd be more worried about consuming luncheon meats. Or fruit sprayed with pesticides. Or, as someone else said, multiple ultrasounds. Though, what I'm really worried about are the women who are constantly high and/or malnourished.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#15 of 18 Old 09-27-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerikadi View Post
You'll get no backlash from me I think we all have certain things we are not comfortable with during pregnancy.

I have not had a drink yet - except the occasional sip but I would. Also, it only takes about 3 sips of wine for me to feel relaxed and I personally don't think that's enough to affect the baby.

I don't do doppler, U/S, caffeine, and try to stay away from refined sugar and a lot of Mamas think all of the above is fine. We all have our different comfort levels. I personally cannot comprehend how someone could rent and use a doppler for 'fun' or have a monthly U/S but that is one of the things I am picky about.

Keri
: I believe in the health properties of well-brewed, homemade beer. I am 23 weeks now and haven't drunk anything except for 2 or 3 sips of DH's beer. When baby gets here, my BIL is making me a special batch of milk-stimulating beer! I am quite excited about it! I am quite sure that in the last 4 weeks or so, I will probably enjoy a daily home-brewed beer. I didn't with DS b/c I had a natural aversion to it. I try to honor what my body says.

I strongly agree about the doppler and U/S, and I think it is a good illustration of how we can all be different in what we value and consider part of healthy pregnancies.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#16 of 18 Old 09-30-2006, 09:38 PM

In both of my pregnancies I have had a glass of wine here and there in the
3rd trimester. I just got back from dinner and I had a glass of red wine with my spicy meal. I am just one who believes that 3 glasses of wine spaced over a 3 month period is not going to cause any damage. A few months back I was having trouble breaking my daily coca-cola habit. My midwife said she would rather me relax by having a glass of wine with my dinner than a coke. I tend to agree with her on that. A coke felt like a really nasty think for me to be drinking...period, pregnant or not.
In the US we are told no alcohol period. I believe it is because the medical establishment has to cater to the lowest common denomenator. If a Dr. says it's ok to have a glass of wine/beer occasionally, some doofus is going to say "Derrrr, Doc said I could drink!".
I can totally understand not haveing anyting to drink at all too. But it just doesn't worry me at all to have one glass in a very blue moon. I'm thinking that maybe this woman drinking a beer, being educated as she looked, probably is educated enough to not be that lowest common denomenator. Not that if you don't drink you fall into that category at all! She just probably knows how to listen to herself.

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#17 of 18 Old 09-30-2006, 10:21 PM

I agree with the PP in that soda is much more dmaging both to the fetus and to the mother than a drink in moderation. From all the research I have done (and I have researched this a bit) fas isn't seen unless a pregnant women is drinking at least 5+drinks daily. When I was pregnant I will have a beer every week or two and I make no apologies. I truly believe that even two would probably be okay but I didn't feel comfortable with that. I did avoid wine because even half a glass makes me feel fuzzy and I wasn't comfortable with that. I think that Americans need to relax and even enjoy a few bites of pasteurized soft cheese with a small glass of wine. And give up the soda. HFCS can't even be digested. It goes into your liver with the same chemical composition as it had in the bottle. Possibly into a baby that way too.
#18 of 18 Old 10-02-2006, 11:38 PM

Well, I can't imagine judging a pregnant woman in a restaurant for having one beer (that might well be an N/A beer at that), but that's because I've walked a mile in her shoes. I know how it is, having people scrutinize every bite that goes in your mouth, every pound that you gain, every mile that you run, every single freaking thing you do. I've often commented that beign pregnant somehow makes you public property -- perfect strangers have no problem criticizing you and even touching you without your permission. That gets pretty old by the end of a pregnancy.

Frankly, unless I saw a pregnant woman getting visibly intoxicated, I wouldn't give a hoot what she did. One beer? Meh.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page