What's your favorite pickle? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2006, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was in chicago I used to get these really good Polish pickles at the Polish stores. Now I'm in the the middle of nowhere all I can get is Vlasic, and I have the dill spears and just finished the bread and butter spears today.

The other night I was hungry for a couple hours, but nothing in the house was in the least appealing. Finally I remembered there was a jar of kim chee in the fridge, and by the time I dug it out from the back I was salivating heavily! It was sooooo good. It wasn't even a good brand, but then I emailed someone I know who travels here occasionally from Pennsylvania. He always travels with kim chee that he gets from an old Korean lady, and he said he will bring me some sometime this month. My mouth is watering just thinking about it . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like Bubbie's pickles for a good brined pickle. But I also like pickled mushrooms, pickled asparagus, pickled green beans, pickled brussels sprouts . . . I like limed pickles, sweet and sour pickles, and sometimes I really confuse myself and crave bread & butter pickles (which I *hated* as a kid). There's some pickled summer squash in the fridge right now, and there might be some pickled snap peas.

Earlier this summer, I made myself a plate of pickles and olives every night.

Hubby likes kimchee. I used to, but lately, it turns my stomach.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:30 PM

Claussen all the way!!!
Old 10-01-2006, 12:56 PM

Homemade with lots of garlic. Ok....now I need to find some good cukes lol. I've been wanting them again.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:20 PM

I'm a big fan of Claussen and our supermarket's brand (Publix) of hamburger chips. I'm gonna go eat some now!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 10-01-2006, 01:31 PM

Claussen's extra garlicy are awesome! That said my favorite has always been regular dill pickles -- NOT Kosher. They have the hamburger dillchip flavor. The only place I've been able to find them for the last 8 years has been Save-a-Lot (discount grocery store) and I never really go there. Plus they're never as crunchy as the Vlasic ones we used to get...

That said, I've never met a pickle I didn't like!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:53 PM

I've been hooked on this abscure little brand that I pick up at the Lebanese deli down the street. They are little mini dills, so I can eat a dozen of them! A friend turned me on to eating dill pickles dipped in a little honey. I was totally grossed out by the thought of it, but then I tried them, and they are FABULOUS! The salt/garlic/vinegar of the pickles brings out the floral notes of the honey, and the sweetness mellows the sharp notes of the pickles. It's like bread-and-butter pickles for those who can't stand b&b/sweet pickles. Yum! I'm going to have to go and make myself a little bowl right now!
Old 10-01-2006, 02:17 PM

Seriously...when my mom told me how easy it was to make them I couldnt believe it!
Im russian and I always get pickles from the russian stores in the area. My favorite are the ones that are only half pickled and so they are still a little bit sweet. YUM

you need:
pickling cucumbers
dill
garlic
jar
salt

Boil water. Add one tablespoon of salt per liter. In the jar layer the cucumbers with dill and garlic cloves. Pour your salted boiling water into jar. THATS IT.
Let them sit outside for about 24 hours then move into the fridge.I think you can eat them at this point! Obviously the longer they sit they more they "pickle".

you can experiment with amount of salt and dill...eventually you will get the taste thats right just for you!

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
Old 10-01-2006, 03:32 PM

ooooh, pickles I love almost any brand of baby dills. I have texture "issues" with spears, so they have to be whole. I really don't like Claussen though I prefer the smaller companies. Buy a few and do a little tasting I think I need to run out and buy some too!
Old 10-01-2006, 06:13 PM

Mt. Olive Kosher Pickles and Best Maid Dill Pickles

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!
Old 10-01-2006, 06:53 PM

Any crunch dill with lots of garlic will do! I do like spicy pickled green beans and pickled asparagus more though!
Old 10-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

I hate pickles. I read the title of this thread and my mouth started watering. Now after reading the whole thread, I'm desperately craving a pickle. What the heck? LOL.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:16 PM

I actually like Vlassic. The baby dills or the regular dills are SOOOO yummy. (I don't care for sweet pickles.) I buy a HUGE jar of pickles for about 5 bucks and snack on them nice and cold from the fridge. I actually have to limit my foster daughter's consumption of pickles- she'd probably eat one at every meal if I let her! (I'm just concerned that she'd get too much sodium if she ate them non-stop.) Now that I know how easy it is to make them I think I will try it! We go through a lot of pickles in this family! Where would I find small cucumbers to pickle if I can't grow my own? (The ones my SIL grows are HUGE and taste a little like melon.)

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 10-01-2006, 08:35 PM

This thread made me go eat three pickles! My parents' neighbor makes them and my mom gave us some! They are spears with lots of garlic and dill. Homemade is definitely the best!

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Old 10-01-2006, 08:39 PM

Ba Tampte half sours are the BEST pickles. I also love their pickled green tomoatoes.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

Old 10-01-2006, 08:59 PM

I have to get something pickled at the store now...pickled garlic sounds soooo gooood!
Old 10-01-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabug&co. View Post
Mt. Olive Kosher Pickles and Best Maid Dill Pickles
Its so funny you say that, I just got back from the store with a jar of Mt Olive dills, and my girls and I just ate half of it. I've never tried them before, but they're pretty good!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:28 PM

For folks who like sweet/sour pickles, Alton Brown's Kinda Sorta Sours from Good Eats are really simple refrigerator pickles. A couple cucumbers, half an onion, and a bulb of garlic will set you on your way. You have pickles as soon as they're cool. The vinegar simmer will set your sinuses burning, but the result is SO good. And I've used all sorts of vinegar: cider, white, tarragon, red wine, champagne, white wine, palm--they all work just fine.

(And remember, it's perfectly normal for garlic to turn blue when pickled in acid.)

Old 10-01-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberSun View Post
I buy a HUGE jar of pickles for about 5 bucks and snack on them nice and cold from the fridge. I actually have to limit my foster daughter's consumption of pickles- she'd probably eat one at every meal if I let her!

Where would I find small cucumbers to pickle if I can't grow my own?
My mom used to buy one gallon jar of Vlasic (sp?) dill pickles a month & when they were gone, they were gone, so we learned to ration them. I dated a guy that bought me my own gallon jar as an anniversary present a few times (remember high school when you celebrate every few months? ).

I've seen "pickling cucumbers" at the local grocery store in the past month.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

I've never made my own before. I guess I'm afraid about the sterilization part, I'm not sure I can get my kitchen sterile enough. I guess if they go staright into the fridge, and I eat them before they go bad . . . .
Old 10-02-2006, 12:57 AM

The beauty of refrigerator pickles is that they go into cold storage and they all get eaten within two weeks because they're so yummy. No need to worry about sterilization, just make sure the jar is reasonably clean.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:14 AM

That sounds awesome! I think I am going to try to make some.

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 10-03-2006, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

I hope I can find some pickling cukes at the store.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:14 AM

I never should have read this thread. Now I gotta go find a pickle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:48 PM

I'm a pickle fiend, always have been (except in the first few months of this pregnancy, when, for the first time in my life, they didn't sound good at all). And I'm pretty picky about my pickles...I won't eat just any pickle. One of my "mainstream" favorites is Mt. Olive. The other is--believe it or not--Archer Farms (Target's brand). This only applies to baby dills, which is what I eat most often. I even keep a jar of pickles in the fridge here at work to munch on during the day!

BTW, I just ate some monster pickles at a German restaurant that were soooo good!

User Tag List