Finding out sex noninvasively - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 10-09-2006, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't want to have an ultrasound unless one is medically indicated, because I don't want to expose my baby to any unnecessary risks when there are no medical benefits.

But I want to know the sex!

Has anyone looked into:
http://www.paragondna.com/prenatal/gendertest.asp
or
http://www.dnaplus.com/fetal_cell_pr...ender_test.htm

I most likely wouldn't do it for two reasons: 1) the high cost 2) worried about trustworthiness of the companies

But I'm still intrigued about a non-invasive test to find out the sex.

BTW, "Baby Gender Mentor" has proven to be a fraudulent company, and their test is unreliable, but it could be because they offer the test so early in pregnancy, and they only require a tiny bit of blood, compared to the other labs.
#2 of 66 Old 10-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never heard of these. We aren't finding out the gender either for the same reasons though!
#3 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 12:24 AM

Non-invasive, hmmmm... Know any good psychics? You could try that route. If you do your homework, you should be able to find a good one.
#4 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Banned

The "Chinese gender prediction calendar" worked for me both times!

http://www.thelaboroflove.com/chart/index.html

here is the first link I found (bad ads BTW)
#5 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 AM

My former OB used the Chinese Conception Calendar with her patients and it was more than 80% accurate. Try it.
#6 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 12:37 AM

The needle and thread test has worked for me, twice. I knew two people who had amazingly high accuracy doing it - freaky! - but definitely non-invasive.

I've read that the most accurate of all old-wives tales predictors is the mother having a dream that reveals the baby's sex...in a study it was accurate a bit more than half (don't remember the numbers, but it was enough to be statistically significant IIRC). The other things like cravings, how you carry, etc. were 50-50.
#7 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 10:02 AM

I do have to chime in about the chinese birth chart. It can be accurate, but for me, after two kids, it was backwards both times. DD was supposed to be a boy according to the chart, and DS was supposed to be a girl.

There are also different versions of the chart as well. So, depending on which one you look at, will depend on what it tells you.
#8 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABand3 View Post
I've read that the most accurate of all old-wives tales predictors is the mother having a dream that reveals the baby's sex...in a study it was accurate a bit more than half (don't remember the numbers, but it was enough to be statistically significant IIRC). The other things like cravings, how you carry, etc. were 50-50.
I've also read studies that mention this. Apparently, mother's intuition was 70-80% correct, so there seems to be some truth to this...

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#9 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 10:13 AM

Here is a few very fun things you can do to try to find out the gender.

http://hrdmrdajfd.tripod.com/formyfr...tlvr/id13.html

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingMama View Post
I do have to chime in about the chinese birth chart. It can be accurate, but for me, after two kids, it was backwards both times. DD was supposed to be a boy according to the chart, and DS was supposed to be a girl.

There are also different versions of the chart as well. So, depending on which one you look at, will depend on what it tells you.
The chart has to be based on your lunar age, not your actual age. Many people do it based on their "real" age and not lunar. That is why there is a difference in some of the charts.
#11 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 10:37 AM

we did not find out last time and it is the best surprise in the whole world. I really want a girl again and i know if i find out before i maybe dissapointed but once all the hard work of birth is over and if it is a boy i know once he is there i will love him and not feel dissapointed at all. So i will wait and see who is waiting to meet me on birthing day
#12 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 10:39 AM

Someone I know did the blood test thingy (forgot which company she used) and it did accurately indicate that her twins were both boys. I think the one she used offered a double money back guarantee after the babies were born if the prediction was wrong.
#13 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
The needle and thread test has worked for me, twice. I knew two people who had amazingly high accuracy doing it - freaky! - but definitely non-invasive.

Have to chime in on this. I've done the needle/ring test, and so far has been right with every single one. It said this one will be a boy, and I've had nothing but boy dreams (3 vivid ones so far). We will find out how accurate that is in about 10 more weeks .

#14 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally Z View Post
we did not find out last time and it is the best surprise in the whole world. I really want a girl again and i know if i find out before i maybe dissapointed but once all the hard work of birth is over and if it is a boy i know once he is there i will love him and not feel dissapointed at all. So i will wait and see who is waiting to meet me on birthing day
This is not always the case. Some women still experience disappointment and even sadness after the birth, even after all the hard work is over if the sex is not the one they had wanted.
#15 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 11:42 AM

The chinese calender says I'm having a girl. Funny thing is, when I had my first "aha!" that I might be pregnant, a voice in my head said "You're having a girl!" Everybody is convinced I'm having a girl....but I think it's because I already have a boy, so they all just say I'm having a girl. However, a close friend and a client of mine both say they have a strong feeling I'm having a girl. My DH who wants another boy is even convinced that I'm having a girl, it's an instinctual feeling he has.
I suppose we'll see when I have my next ultrasound. I had to have one already to determine a heartbeat. I will have to have one again to determine where the placenta is attached and all the diagnoistic stuff an OB wants to have. If they can't determine the gender at that ultrasound, then oh well. I won't have more than what is needed.
#16 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
So what happens when you've had dreams of having both? Most of my dreams have been about baby girls, but I have had 2-3 where I had a boy. Chinese birth chart says boy and my DH's family can only seem to make boys. Most people think I'm having a boy. Early on in this pregnancy, I was having lots of dreams with feminine symbols (fruit, eggs, etc.) I never knew if that meant I'm having a girl or if it was about what was going on with my body. I'll try the needle and thread thing.
#17 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I found out the sex of all 3 of my kids in a very natural, non-invasive way. I found out with DD1 and DS at 39 weeks and 5 days, and with DD2 at 39 weeks and 6 days.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#18 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 PM

My dreams have not been accurate, but the needle on thread works every time for me. Also muscle testing will tell you too. The problem with these methods is, you and I might believe it, but it's hard to explain to other people why you "know" what the gender is because they probably won't put any faith in it! Oh well . . .

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#19 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
So what happens when you've had dreams of having both?
TWINS!

Just kidding.
#20 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
The chart has to be based on your lunar age, not your actual age. Many people do it based on their "real" age and not lunar. That is why there is a difference in some of the charts.
I've done it both ways, actual age and lunar age, and they were opposite. My MIL seems to think that I have reversed energy, so she thinks that is why I always get the opposite.
#21 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin320 View Post
My dreams have not been accurate, but the needle on thread works every time for me. Also muscle testing will tell you too. The problem with these methods is, you and I might believe it, but it's hard to explain to other people why you "know" what the gender is because they probably won't put any faith in it! Oh well . . .
My MIL did the muscle test on me. I have reversed energy according to her, but when she tested me, she was right with my daughter. (We found out via ultrasound with DS, so there was no guessing there.)
#22 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 02:20 PM
RAF

Can someone explain what the needle and thread thing is? Is there a website somewhere explaining it? Also, how do you muscle test for the sex of your baby? Anyway, I am not getting an ultrasound either, but I am very curious what the sex of the baby will be.
#23 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had dreams of both sex with #1, I truly had no idea what it was, it was a girl. No dreams this time, and I still don't know. I'll found out soon though.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#24 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF View Post
Can someone explain what the needle and thread thing is? Is there a website somewhere explaining it? Also, how do you muscle test for the sex of your baby? Anyway, I am not getting an ultrasound either, but I am very curious what the sex of the baby will be.
Here's info on the Pendulum Test:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Pendulum Test

-you need a pendulum object, it can be anything heavier that you put on the end of a string. Thread works the best.

-hold it about 1 inch from your LEFT wrist (underside), and wait for it to start moving

-This is the part most people are mistaken about...It will swing back and forth accross your wrist sideways for a BOY

-and for a GIRL, it will swing up and down your wrist like fingers to elbow (NOT in a circle)

-the circle happens inbetween children, when the pendulum is "thinking"/changing directions and this will happen inbetween EVERY child you will have

-it will stop on its own when it's done

-pendulums and rods has been around for centuries, and has been an incredible tool for many people throughout the years-from finding water, to solving crimes, to predicting # of kids and their genders!

It works because it is feeding off of our own personal energy. Anyway, it's a really cool test, and mine says BBBGGBG! So far it's right, LOL!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know what the muscle test is though.

#25 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmany View Post
Here's info on the Pendulum Test:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Pendulum Test

-hold it about 1 inch from your LEFT wrist (underside), and wait for it to start moving

-This is the part most people are mistaken about...It will swing back and forth accross your wrist sideways for a BOY

-and for a GIRL, it will swing up and down your wrist like fingers to elbow (NOT in a circle)
Oh no! I did it all wrong! I thought you can do it over your belly, while lying on your back, and that it swings in a circle for a girl or a line for a boy! Is there another version of this?! :

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#26 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 03:17 PM

The way I do the pendulum test is over the lower belly. That's how it has worked for me.

Muscle testing is a little bit trickier, you might need someone to show you how to do it. You can either do it on yourself or have someone else muscle test you. I don't feel qualified to try to explain it, sorry!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#27 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 03:19 PM

Well the Chinese calendar and the ring test are giving me two different answers. And for the first time, I have no feelings as to the baby's gender. I'll just have to wait...
#28 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 03:47 PM

the pendulum tests i've seen were done on the wrist, and to clarify, it tells you all the children you've had and will have, not just the one currently gestating. So for me it was bbg, my MIL showed bgg, and poor SIL, the pin didn't move a bit!
#29 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 04:05 PM

Interesting, I tried the pendulum test over my wrist and it told me: boy (my two-year-old son), girl (my second pregnancy ended in a miscarriage and I thought it was a girl), boy, boy (now I know I am carrying a boy this time but from doing muscle testing I believe I was carrying twin boys and we lost one early on), and then after this pregnancy I would have another boy, then a girl, then a boy, a girl, a boy, a girl, and then another boy. We do want to have a lot of kids so that makes sense. So if I have no more miscarriages, that would be nine kids! Wow!

BTW, the pendulum never stopped moving at the end, it just kept going in a circle on and on and on . . . so after a while I figured it was done. I will try it again sometime when I have more patience and see if it really was done.

#30 of 66 Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 PM

Here's another way. My acupuncturist tested my pulses, and he says it's a girl. That's also my intuition (from before he tested). And last time my midwife tested my pulses, and she said it was a boy. That was also my intuition, and he is indeed a boy. My acupuncurist says that this is more accurate than ultrasound. I think he said it was about 98% accurate , but I can't remember for sure. Two things, though. It needs to be done at the right time during pregnancy, and someone practiced needs to do it (for the most accuracy). Anyway, he says he's only been wrong 2 times, ever.

There was a thread a couple months or so ago about the Chinese calendar predictors, and there were several links posted to different calendars. Every single one says that this baby will be a girl, but every single one also said that ds would be a girl. Needless to say, I don't put much stock in them. And yes, one or two of them went by lunar age.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page