long first labor? how long was your second?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-13-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok this is technically my third baby but my first labor I only got to 2-3cms after laboring for 24+ hours and was diagnosed with failure to progress and had a c-section. (really a stupid OB... but anyway)

Second which my midwife labeled as a first birth since I had never dilated all the way was about 25+ hours. (I think it was like 18 hours of contractions 5 mins apart or less)

So.......... I'm praying this one will be slightly shorter... how long was your second labor/birth?

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-13-2006, 11:51 PM

Here's another thread on the same topic. I was curious, too.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=525620

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#3 of 11 Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 PM

My first labor started at 9 am on a Saturday and I had my son at 12noon the following day. I don't know if I was given poticin, though, might have been because there was meconium in the fluid and they were trying to hurry things up.

My 2nd labor began at 9:30 on a Monday night and he was born at 6am the following morning. It was much quicker and he came out in only a few pushes shortly after my water broke on it's own. ETA: I went from 5cm to 10cm in about 20 minutes and pushed him out in about 8 minutes.

I'm hoping this one is as quick as that one!
#4 of 11 Old 10-14-2006, 01:10 PM

my first was about 36 hours including about 4 hours of pushing.

my second (just less than a month ago) was about 6 hours including about 30 minutes of pushing.
#5 of 11 Old 10-14-2006, 01:44 PM

:

I too am VERY curious...
First baby was a 52 hour labor. Anything less than 24 hours this time will be a breeze

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#6 of 11 Old 10-14-2006, 01:44 PM

Well..with my first I started having mild contractions at 2am at night(thankfully, because I was almost two weeks overdue, which is the time limit at which midwives can still deliver in my state). It was slightly uncomfortable, but I didn't think it was *really* labor yet. I was scheduled for a non-stress test that day, and showed up at 2pm, still with light contractions. I was curious as to what was happening so my midwife checked me, and I was three cms but slid to five cms as she was checking me. So, I decided to stay there and labor, and ended up having my little girl at 11:48 pm, after a complicated labor that because her head was stuck at a weird angle inside me. Afterwards my mom remarked to me had I been in a hospital I probably would have ended up with a c-section, because at one point my cervix started to swell. So all in all, *soft* labor lasted about ten hours, which was pretty mild, and *hard* labor about nine hours.

With my second I was almost at the two week mark again, and hadn't gone into labor and my dds non-stress test was less than reassuring, so I had my midwife seep my membranes. Again, I had mild contractions from that moment on (it was about 8pm when she did the procedure) until about 2-3pm the next day, when labor started getting going pretty quickly. I went straight to the birth center, where I was found to be five cms. My was broken and I ended up with a premature urge to push, so my midwife just held my cervix open and I pushed from 7cms to 10cms, and my dd was born just 5? or so pushes later, at 7:45 or so. So pretty much the same...lots of hours of *soft* labor followed by a couple hours of intense contractions.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#7 of 11 Old 10-14-2006, 01:46 PM

My first technically started around 8 am Mar. 12th and he was born by 4am March 13th. However I usually count "active" labor which was 6 hours (from 11pm-4am). I had all day contractions that I knew that I was in labor but they didn't start getting really close together and more intense until around 10:30/11pm that night.

My second labor although 6 hours of active labor again seemed much shorter. My pushing time was *much* shorter and the overall labor was incredibly easy. I used the Hypnobabies techniques...a lot more walking/birthing ball/hopped in the tub towards the end, etc and it was so easy. Technically my labor began that morning around 10 am and I had him by 11:51 that night. Again though the earlier day labor I was at the park with my son and preparing lunch/dinner until right after I finished prepping dinner when I went upstairs to relax more and listen to my music then I went to the hospital at 10 pm at 9 cms and had the baby by 11:51 pm.

Your body knows what to do more with the second and your memory of the "first" birth may seem harder than what it actually will seem with your second. I would easily say that the majority of second births are so much easier.
#8 of 11 Old 10-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My first was 9 hours. I was 6 cm dilated and I let my MW break my water to get things started (before evacuating for a hurricane). It took so long because DS was posterior for most of labor and things didn't really get going until he turned over.

DD's labor was just over 2 hours. My cat woke me up, otherwise I might have slept through more of it. As it was I hit transition about 30 min after I woke up.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#9 of 11 Old 10-14-2006, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hah, I don't think I could since my experience probably wasn't typical, but hey, it could happen.

Number one was 26 hours active labour (4-10cm) with 2.5 hour second stage.

Number two was one hour, 40 minutes with seven minute second stage.

:

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#10 of 11 Old 10-14-2006, 05:54 PM

my first labor was about 36 hours plus 4 hours of pushing.

my second was right about 2 hours, including about 15 minutes of pushing.

i'm hoping number 3 is somewhere in the middle.
#11 of 11 Old 10-16-2006, 08:54 AM

My first was a total of over 48 hours. But I was not progressing because she was posterior... But real active labor started after my midwife broke my water and that was only 4 hours which including 2 1/2 hours of pushing.

My second was a couple days of prodromal labor that started and stopped. I think he was posterior too because I felt all the contractions in my back. But I count labor to have really started at around 11 am on a Monday and he was born at 11:51 pm... with only 2 or 3 pushes. The active labor started again pretty late in the game because at 5 cms I asked to have my water broken and it went really fast after that. 2 hours with only about 5-10 minutes of pushing.

The second time was much easier. More painful! (I did it natural the second time) But it was definitely much faster and easier. I hope that it is the same for our third! I will find out in a few months!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page