Wheat intolerance with pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-20-2006, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this in my DDC, but thought I might reach a bigger crowd here. I've developed a wheat intolerance with this pregnancy. Even a little makes me really bloated with intestinal cramping. Of course, any reading I do on it always mentions Celiac disease- with pregnancy being one of the known triggers for it! I also have a couple of the other symptoms- trouble gaining weight and fatigue. Everyone wants to attribute the fatigue to just being pregnant and having a 3 year old, but I have a hard time with that when I'm fatigued at 9 AM after having slept well the night before!

So, I guess I'm a little worried that I've developed this disease that requires life long management. Not that it's the end of the world, but having eliminated wheat once for DD's intolerance as a baby, I know it isn't the easiest thing to do. And that was just wheat- not all gluten. I also don't know if I should pursue being tested or just wait and see what happens after this baby is born.

OK, maybe the more accurate description would be that I'm feeling a little obsessive about it....
#2 of 13 Old 10-20-2006, 04:37 PM

Pregnancy triggered my celiac disease, and now all 4 of my sons have been diagnosed with it too! Sorry, mama, that probably is not the kind of thing you want to hear.

On the plus side (and it is a BIG plus) if you have celiac disease, the sooner you find out the better.

Hope it is just a wheat thing, that's easier to live with than gf. But gf is getting easier all the time.
#3 of 13 Old 10-20-2006, 05:02 PM

When I was pg with DS I found out that I am starch intolerant (wheat, rice, potatoes, corn). This is only when pg. But when I changed the eating habbits of our home we discovered that DD's ADHD went completely away! She is very glutten intolerant but does not have celiac disease.

All that to say these days you can cook or find just about anything that you want without loosing taste! You can do it just don't limit yourself!
#4 of 13 Old 10-20-2006, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by townmouse View Post
Pregnancy triggered my celiac disease, and now all 4 of my sons have been diagnosed with it too! Sorry, mama, that probably is not the kind of thing you want to hear.

On the plus side (and it is a BIG plus) if you have celiac disease, the sooner you find out the better.

Hope it is just a wheat thing, that's easier to live with than gf. But gf is getting easier all the time.
Were you diagnosed while you were pregnant? Did you have a biopsy or go strictly on blood tests?
#5 of 13 Old 10-20-2006, 05:18 PM

If you're eating it, get tested *if the doctors will fit you in soon*. If you're not eating it, the tests won't be accurate.

My trigger wasn't pregnancy, but I'm pregnant and gluten intolerant. I'm not gaining weight yet, but most of my absorption is on track. I may need IV iron in the second trimester, but that's easy enough to keep an eye on.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#6 of 13 Old 10-21-2006, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

A lot of my hesitation with getting tested now is that for a definitive diagnosis an intestinal biopsy is needed (at least in my understanding...). This would mean undergoing sedation. I don't really tolerate that well when not pregnant, and certainly would prefer not to while pregnant. But, of course, I would if it would be better for the baby. I'm still not really gaining weight in spite of the fact that I feel like I eat all the time.

I'm not eating wheat now, just because I feel awful when I do. I guess that alone is really enough reason to avoid it, regardless of an actual diagnosis. My leaning is toward waiting until after the baby is born to see what happens. I also plan to talk to my midwife about it in a couple of weeks at my next appointment.
#7 of 13 Old 10-21-2006, 09:21 AM

I have just the opposite: gluten intolerance except when I am pregnant! That goes for lactose as well, I can totally enjoy it while I am pregnant but as soon as baby is out, back to dairy free or I get major side effects. The body can do strange things...hoping your intolerance is just a pregnancy thing...wait and see after baby is born
#8 of 13 Old 10-21-2006, 09:09 PM

There is a combination of 3 blood tests that they can do for celiac. By the way gluten intolerance can make you feel obsessive/anxious etc. One of the best books I ever read is Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gotchall. The protocal in it has changed my life. If you want more info. on the testing PM me. Shawna
#9 of 13 Old 05-01-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townmouse View Post

I know this is an old thread, but I am extremely interested in knowing if your doctor has acknowledged that pregnancy was a trigger and if so, who is your doc. Is there any place you might direct someone for more information regarding this.

I have been having an ongoing discussion with my doc regarding the incidence of UC being triggered by pregnancy.
#10 of 13 Old 05-02-2008, 06:06 AM

Ouch, all I have to say is I'm really sorry I have a good friend with this disease and it absolutely kills her. It gives her the whole 9 yards. She actually came across a REALLY Helpful website that tells you a lot about what you can eat that is glutton free, I will ask her what it is tomorrow and I will post it for you.
#11 of 13 Old 05-02-2008, 08:59 AM

I have celiac and if I were you, I would get the blood tests ASAP as it can have an impact on your pregnancy. IMO, a positive blood test is definitive. You don't get false positives BUT you can get a false negative if you body doesn't produce antibodies (which is actually very common). In that case, you would 100% want to pursue the biopsy if your symptoms continue. I had the positive blood tests and did the biopsy but feel the biopsy wasn't necessary in the end. It will tell you how much damage you've done but if you don't go to a reputable GI doc. and he's says he couldn't find evidence of celiac in the small intestine, you will have positive blood tests....negative biopsy.....so what does that mean? Bottom line is, if you have a positive blood test, you have celiac. You can also do genetic testing to reaffirm the diagnosis - if you don't have the genes you can't have celiac. Also, if you do come back positive - you will want to have your oldest child tested.

I really struggled with my celiac dx. But honestly, it's a much better route to take than having to manage a chronic illness with daily doses of drugs. A lot of mainstream restaurants are starting to offer gluten free menus and most restaurants I go to will accomodate a dietary request. It's an adjustment but I've been GF for 1.5 years and the difference in my life is night and day. Feel free to PM me if you want more information or have questions. Good luck!

Amy
SAHM to a super sweet and sensitive 2 year old and a happy giggle-monster baby (1/2010).
#12 of 13 Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 AM

I just want to mention that I revived this OLD thread to ask another poster a question. I doubt the OP is still pregnant now.
#13 of 13 Old 05-12-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

The email notification of this went to my spam box in my email & I just found it. And thankfully, no, I'm not still pregnant!

Interstingly though, the gluten problem did not go away. I did lots of reading on Celiac disease, went through a gluten challenge for 3 months. During that time I lost tons of hair, had stomachaches all the time, was very irritable-- just generally miserable. Then I had the blood tests and the biopsy, both of which were negative for Celiac.

So, I don't have Celiac, but definitely have a gluten sensitivity. I've been avoiding gluten for 6 months now & feel so much better for it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page