Plus-size pregnant mamas... clothes! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-21-2006, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone care to chat about clothes?

I wanted to share that I found some stretchy/workout type pants at kmart for $15 that fit me. They are a regular size XL maternity, but I was wearing a size 22/24 jeans up until about 5 months pregnant, and these fit and are soooooooooo comfy. Cute, boot-cut too! In case anyone needs some pants to wear! The matching jacket (it's like a warmup style) also fits me comfortably in XL.

What are other mamas doing about having a coat or something warm to wear? No way will my normal coat fit me now! I was thinking about getting a poncho like this one...
http://www.silhouettes.com/Parent.as...dept%5Fid=1400
But not sure if I'll feel HUMONGOUS in it.

Where are you ladies finding comfy nursing things? Most Old Navy maternity stuff doesn't fit me, but I have managed to find one top that does, and it could be used as a nursing top too... I'm going to try to find more! They don't even show it on their website, but it's kind of got a wrap style top so you could easily pop out one boob at a time

Also kind of a bummer that most Old Navy's near me seem to be phasing out both their plus-size AND maternity sections! What is up with that?!?! Fashion Bug got rid of their maternity line too, and they used to carry plus maternity... of course they wait to do that until NOW! : I walked by those racks so many times in my pre-pregnant days...

What about soft, comfy, cute nursing bras? I wear a 44C bra right now! Who knows what that will be later! But most bras I find that are a 44 tend to be huuuuge... they come all the way up to my clavicles and have giant cups. The truth is my breasts are actually just a normal C cup... I don't need all that! I'm just bigger around. Most bras with molded cups SWIM on my breasts and are too tight around!!! : So hard to find bras for plus-sized mamas who are not as well-endowed up there! I haven't seen any nursing bras at Motherhood or anywhere else that would a) fit and b) be comfortable too. I found one on the Lane Bryant Catalog site but I'm not sure I like it.

OK, that is it... just tossing around zaftig pregnant mama thoughts!!!!
#2 of 21 Old 10-22-2006, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

bummmmp!
#3 of 21 Old 10-22-2006, 11:46 AM

Oh, a woman after my own large-sized heart, lol! I normally wear a 26, so finding maternity clothes that fit is nigh impossible. I have ordered some tops from the Sears catalog - I think they were about 15 a piece (and they were 3x - great fit). For bottoms, I have resorted to buying shorts in the men's section at WalMart - the 4x, as they have a drawstring. I just found some "exercise" pants in the women's section at WalMart for 13, and got the 28's. Wow, I will be able to wear them through the end of the pregnancy and after, they have a drawstring, and they actually touch the tops of my feet! (sometimes it sucks being 6'1" tall!) If worse comes to worse, I have ordered larger sizes from the Lane Bryant catalog.

DH Cain Mamma to 3 girls LO due 2/15
#4 of 21 Old 10-22-2006, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if they carry many maternity clothes even in regular sizes for such a tall mama! The one thing about maternity clothes I've noticed is that you're supposed to fit into a certain mold. And you're supposed to like things with bows on your belly. And flowers! :

(No offense to anyone who DOES like those things, just that it is silly to think everyone does!)

But you're in WI! You can't stay warm in mens shorts!!!! No fair freezing up there, ok? My husband used to live in WI, I've heard some stories!
#5 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 05:26 AM

My favourite bras for nursing are just those fruit of the loom sports bras you can buy in a 3 pack in walmart. Not racerbacks, they give me a headache. They're so easy to just lift and pop the breast in and out, which is handy if you nurse a lot or have an impatient baby who hates waiting for you to unclip your bra.
#6 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 09:23 AM

I have been shopping around and found that the stores have no consistent sizing. I am large on top (maybe a 44G?) and with some thicker thighs. I find that many styles of maternity clothes are tighter in the leg (for fashion?) than I find comfortable, and still quite large in the belly. I tried on clothes at Thyme, and even their 2x didn't fit (I am a 22-24 too). They were probably sized at a real 18-20 and really small through the chest, arms, and hips.

I went to Motherhood, and their 3x absolutely SWIMS on me (yay! confidence booster) and their 2x seems good. However, there is a wide variation in sizing even in their plus line. I found Motherhood to be over-priced, and their fabrics cheap and thin (I'm Canadian). I bought some pants there, and bought some larger tops at Cotton Ginny, that seem long enough to cover the dreaded 'maternity panel' in the pants. So far, so good, but I am just 16 weeks! Now I have 5 pairs of maternity pants, and that should last me. I have a few other pairs of pants that will work from my non-preg clothes, but they are not suitable for work (sweats and baggy pants).

Other than sprawlMart (cheap, nasty, guilty clothing), these are the only retail choices for Canadians wanting to shop in person. There may be some other places that sell plus-size Maternity, but I haven't found them.
#7 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Carolynn, I am laughing at your tales of sizing woes... that is SO TRUE. Last time I was at Motherhood, I tried on two pairs of jeans in a 2X. I was wearing a Motherhood 2X when I walked in. One pair fit fine to a little roomy... the other pair I couldn't get up over my knees. I mean, come on now!!!!! :

WalMart here doesn't carry plus sized maternity!!! That I have seen, anyways. I did look... desperate times call for desperate measures, though I do avoid shopping there as a general rule.

Re: belly panel problems... Bella Band is finally making bigger sizes. I'm wearing a size 3 Bella Band right now. It's great for covering up tummy panels on jeans and also has enough support to actually be a little bit supportive for the growing belly. Check pregnancystore.com.

Thank you for the sports bra tip, Meg!!!
#8 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 12:08 PM

I irritated every day by the lack of plus maternity anywhere near me!

When pregnant with DD I was a size 18-20 and could wear an XL in most style maternity clothes. Now, NONE of the clothes I saved fit me! I kept my pooch with DD and added about 10 pounds after her birth. Not too bad, but the extra weight and added shape have bumped me up to a 22 easy!

I gulped down the price at Motherhood for a pair of jeans ($50!). I was flabbergasted! : But I needed something to wear that fit and fit comfortably!

My mom did pick me up a pair of jeans from K-Mart in an XL. They suprisingly fit me, but not for long. There is no room for this growing belly to grow! :

JCPenny carries a nice line of maternity in plus. Very cute NORMAL clothes! But not in the store. I hate on-line ordering. They always hit me twice for shipping if I don't like the fit and need to send it back. Store won't take it since they don't carry it in the store! :

So here I sit....I have 2 long sleeved shirts that fit me and the weather is getting colder by the minute!

And I'm still looking for a coat. My normal coat fits me....I had the same coat when PG with DD! But I saw a picture of myself while 30+ weeks pregnant with her and I was wearing that coat. I looked like a BAG LADY!
I have no desire to put that coat on this year! I'm tempted to go to walmart and pick up a cheap hoodie with a zipper. I tried on a 3X this weekend while looking for cheap shirts for DH to wear to work and thought that I could pull it off. :
I might go back....but would rather find something similar somewhere else!
#9 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 PM

Oh, I wish I could afford Motherhood! I just can't 1. Stretch the budget any further 2. Justify spending more than 12-13$ on a pair of pants. I have resorted to shopping the evil evil BalMart. Trust me, I've tried Target, but even their 3x's run small on me!!!! As for nursing bras, JMS has a great sports bra that doubles as a nursing bra. Too cool!
As for larger sized maternity clothes, I have found some online, but DANG, I can't afford 40$ for ONE top! Same goes for nursing tops!!! I found a great online pattern for making your own out of t-shirts. Freakin' EASY.
Don't worry PrettyPixels, I have leg coverings now! It's starting to get a little nipply here in WI now! I used to be able to wear shorts almost till Januarty, I must be getting old!

DH Cain Mamma to 3 girls LO due 2/15
#10 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 01:15 PM

I'm stealing DH's T-shirts, and sweat pants, with the tummy rolled down under the belly.

I have 5 weeks to go, and yes it's getting colder, but I refuse to spend $$ on stuff I'll probably want to burn later...well, donate...

I have these black stretchy pants that I can wear pre preg, preg up to labor, and then post partum! They are the most amazing pants! (Champion Brand, I found at a JC Pennies, about 5 years ago). I've worn them for all three of my pregnancies now! I just roll the waistband under belly towards the end)
They have a draw string waist, and elastic. They just seem to stretch just right and fit comfortably no matter what shape/size you are. They are soft like sweats, but with a micro ribbing, cottony and nice enough to wear with a pretty top and no one knows how comfy they are!!

I have a black, long (past hips), zip up sweater that I wear over a long sleeve t-shirt when it's cold, as the 'prego furnace' keeps me fairly warm. I hate buying coats for such a short wear...so I'm not buying one this winter either...I put on a turtle neck, my trusty sweater or a poncho, if it's really cold, gloves and scarf.

What I will spend some money on, is some nice 'nursing tops', post pregnancy belly! At least I'll wear those a year or two!

I'm with you! I hate spending the $$ on stuff that is so temp, and especially if it's ugly (not my style) or doesn't fit good!
#11 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Audrey, try Old Navy... their XL maternity tops really are way roomier than you would think. Certainly way, WAY roomier than the XL in normal sizes. I bought a few there today and am tickled... one says "Coming This Winter!" And it has plenty of growing room in it. Plus, they are pretty cheap!

'Course there is only ONE Old Navy in my area with both plus and maternity sizes... the rest are phasing them both out. So I have to drive out of my way to go to Old Navy.

Wendy, it is crazy how maternity clothes are priced... it's crazy how plus-sized clothes are priced... combine the two and it is!!!! : Thanks for the tip re the JMS sports bra, I am going to check it out.

When it's below 50 out, I have to have something on my ears... I can just wear a normal sweatshirt on my body, but my ears get SO COLD.

Xena, I tried on a peacoat at Old Navy today just to see... their 2x buttons right about my belly and then just kinda flares out, which looks pretty cute actually! But $88!!!! For something that I HOPEFULLY will be too small for after the baby. Can't do it! Why are ponchos OUT this year???

Thank you ladies for all your tips and input!!!
#12 of 21 Old 10-23-2006, 05:52 PM

If only we could find cute clothes and have them well priced!

I stopped by Motherhood over the weekend and found some adorable tops for $12 on sale! Of course the pants were all around $25-$40, but check out the regular sized sale racks and wow! What a choice they get .

Curvey women must never get pregnant according to fashion designers. As for the cheaper stores around me, Target dosn't sell plus maternity, ditto for Kmart and Wal-Mart. I stopped by Old Navy and they have phased out their plus-sizes. AAAHHH! What to do now?

I havn't the slightest clue about what to do for winter, I am definatly not purchasing a coat I will only be able to use this winter. Oh well...
#13 of 21 Old 10-24-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Beachsea, if you look on Old Navy's website, you might be able to find one near you that still carries plus sizes. A few near me have phased them out, but others still carry it. I'm blessed that they have plus AND maternity at the same one, so when I haul my butt way out there to the store, I can peruse both sections! (oldnavy.com)

Quote:
Curvey women must never get pregnant according to fashion designers.
You know a tiny friend of mine pointed out to me that it is totally illogical for plus sized maternity clothes to be so hard to find, given that some women put on lots of weight during their pregnancies and move into the plus sized category. I mean, not even starting with the fact that the average size in America is a 12/14, so if you move up a little bit you're into plus-sized range!

It really doesn't make sense to me at all. But... that said, Target got rid of all their cute plus-sized undies...they used to carry adorable panties up to a 2 or 3x, no more. WalMart got rid of theirs too. Now, both of them only carry big granny panties. *sigh* I *know* they sold, because every time I'd look at the racks there'd be hardly any bigger sizes left! So, why? I don't get it. Why in Target's fitness wear section do they only go up to an XL, not a XXL like they do in many of their other clothes? Why a few years ago was I able to buy a XXL bathing suit at Target and now they hardly carry any? Why? I don't get it.
#14 of 21 Old 10-24-2006, 12:02 PM

That pea coat sounds pretty! I actually wore one in high school, it was my favorite coat! So warm and yet 'thin' and easy to wear!

Since baby is due November 23 (Thks Day), maybe I can get something 'nice' for the second part of winter, as its still cold here in Colorado well into March and even April (snows).... That is, if I 'lose' in my typical pattern and my belly allows it!
#15 of 21 Old 10-24-2006, 02:16 PM

Thanks for all the tips so far ladies! I am only 13 weeks, so I haven't needed this stuff yet, but I will soon.

I have the same problem as the OP with finding bras. I am probably technically about a 44B, but I wear a 38C because it fits better. : If anyone has more good suggestions for bras for the unendowed with big ribs, let me know!!

At this point I am hoping a couple of my skirts will last for a while. I wear a lot of elastic waisted skirts. I'm also thinking of getting the Bella Band and hope to be able to wear some of my other bottoms.
I'm not sure what to do about shirts. I got one from Motherhood as a b-day present already. But, I didn't like most of what they had there.

If Old Navy runs as big as what you guys are saying here, maybe I will check it out. I usually only barely fit their XXL in the regular sizes. Maybe that means I can find a few XL maternity things to fit.
#16 of 21 Old 10-24-2006, 07:46 PM

Just commiserating further. Wearing one of my new pairs of pants today (khaki cargo pants with a design up one leg) and got complimented! So I guess they weren't too bad.

The prices were attrocious, I agree. I;ve got my 5 pairs of pants now, so I can't really justify anymore. I'm gonna be sooooooo bored after another 23 weeks of wearing these clothes!
#17 of 21 Old 10-25-2006, 12:23 AM

Even worse than the stores are the pattern books. I looked at the basic three pattern books today at Joann's. Less than a dozen maternity patterns TOTAL and none were plus-size.

Of course, given the ease in Simplicity, those could probably qualify, but still . . . they were all those horrid line-over-the-bust styles. (yes, I know I could tailor it to fit me, but the line looks horrid because it accentuates that which I prefer to ignore).

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#18 of 21 Old 10-25-2006, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not currently pg but I am plus-sized!

I ordered a bunch of stuff from JCPenny Catalog when I was pg with DS- they have a pretty good range of sizes there.

Lane Bryant Catalog now carries maternity clothes (well, at least their website does).

I got some nice tops in Sears when I was pg with DS, but I don't know what they currently carry. They didn't have a huge selection but they had some nice, simple, basic pieces in plus-sized maternity and I found some good work shirts.

ETA: I always crack up whenever I see or hear somebody making the suggestion to just wear DH's clothes while pg. During both of my marriages, I wore a bigger size than he did even before getting pg!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#19 of 21 Old 10-25-2006, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
Anyone care to chat about clothes?

I wanted to share that I found some stretchy/workout type pants at kmart for $15 that fit me. They are a regular size XL maternity, but I was wearing a size 22/24 jeans up until about 5 months pregnant, and these fit and are soooooooooo comfy. Cute, boot-cut too! In case anyone needs some pants to wear! The matching jacket (it's like a warmup style) also fits me comfortably in XL.

What are other mamas doing about having a coat or something warm to wear? No way will my normal coat fit me now! I was thinking about getting a poncho like this one...
http://www.silhouettes.com/Parent.as...dept%5Fid=1400
But not sure if I'll feel HUMONGOUS in it.

Where are you ladies finding comfy nursing things? Most Old Navy maternity stuff doesn't fit me, but I have managed to find one top that does, and it could be used as a nursing top too... I'm going to try to find more! They don't even show it on their website, but it's kind of got a wrap style top so you could easily pop out one boob at a time

Also kind of a bummer that most Old Navy's near me seem to be phasing out both their plus-size AND maternity sections! What is up with that?!?! Fashion Bug got rid of their maternity line too, and they used to carry plus maternity... of course they wait to do that until NOW! : I walked by those racks so many times in my pre-pregnant days...

What about soft, comfy, cute nursing bras? I wear a 44C bra right now! Who knows what that will be later! But most bras I find that are a 44 tend to be huuuuge... they come all the way up to my clavicles and have giant cups. The truth is my breasts are actually just a normal C cup... I don't need all that! I'm just bigger around. Most bras with molded cups SWIM on my breasts and are too tight around!!! : So hard to find bras for plus-sized mamas who are not as well-endowed up there! I haven't seen any nursing bras at Motherhood or anywhere else that would a) fit and b) be comfortable too. I found one on the Lane Bryant Catalog site but I'm not sure I like it.

OK, that is it... just tossing around zaftig pregnant mama thoughts!!!!
That certainly stimulated some replies - well written! I also came over this article which may be helpful. It's about maternity clothes but more for the stylish minded. Anyway, you can see for yourself at maternity clothes.

Kitty
#20 of 21 Old 10-25-2006, 04:18 AM
Banned

I went ahead and bought a coat that fits me at forty weeks pregnant so that when I have the baby...(which better be soon BTW) I can just wear him inside all snuggly and warm. I can't afford a babywearing jacket so decided to just make that compromise. Of course that means front carries and a half unzipped jacket the whole time.

I had good results with the extra large bellyhugger, I didn't try the bellaband because it was more expensive.

I am sick and tired of seeing things on TV etc. about how the population is becoming bigger and bigger, when you sure as heck wouldn't know it from walking into a department store. I haven't seen a single bra over a 41 on a regular rack. Infuriating!

The only thing that worked great this preg. was that I bought full / classic belly panel pants. They stretch so much more than any other belly style. I'm still fitting into my large duo maternity jeans at a few days overdue (the cut at the leg and but is seriously ugly, but comfort more than made up for it).
#21 of 21 Old 10-29-2006, 01:02 AM

Lane Bryant is launching a maternity line in November. I am hoping that their line will fill the gaping void that there currently is in maternity clothes.

DS#1 1/05, DS#2 4/07, DD 12/11  homebirth.jpgcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page